Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Pikeville's Basketball Cheerleaders
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I dont know any truth to this but i did ear that they had been forced to move out of the blue goose ( cheerleading capital of the world) and were now practicing in the elementary gym....is there any truth to this??
Why the move???
What is going to happen to the blue goose aka Pikeville Cheerleading Mecca???
I heard some Dad from Virgie, who had moved into Pikeville to be a PANTHER an had also been elected to the school board.... had formed a travel type boys basketball team and had strong armed some folks to put the girls out of there. If there's any truth to this, I pity that fool! I asked around and was also told that his particular basketball team was not very good..... anyone know who this would be? Beef... if you're out there, help us out!
Why on this earth would or could this happen? I GUESS IT'S FINALLY TIME FOR THAT TRAINING FACILITY TO BE CONSTRUCTED THERE BY THE AUDITORIUM! While being pushed out of the "goose" for now has hurt feelings & caused a hardship...maybe it will pay huge dividends in the long run. The PHS cheer program has been way too successful for way too long in such conditions comparatively speaking to not have an upgrade. (ie. the facilities used by Dunbar compared to the Goose)
The # of Champions produced in cheer @ the Blue Goose will never be matched in basketball... and the number of students brought to the Pikeville Independent School system for cheer will never be matched by tranferring basketball players either! Break out the shovels boys and do right by your Pom-pon carrying friends and family!
I have no clue about this. I'm too far away from the school system now. But it is a shame. I don't know what type of facilities that National Power Dunbar has, but for the Panthers to stay up there, they do need something better than the "Goose". So as you said, this could be good, and I hope that it is!!
This move makes a lot of sense and has been long overdue!! The Blue Goose and the elementary gym are the only two places for our young kids to practice. So, since the elementary gym is way too small to be used for basketball but is plenty big enough for the cheerleaders, my question to everyone is why did this move take so long. Sounds like they finally have someone on the board with some "kahuna's" and thankfully a basketball coach who is determined to bring Pikeville Basketball Back!!
Thanks for standing up for what is right guys!!!!!!!!!!
Considering that the Blue Goose floor is rubber, why would you want to try to build a program on such a floor? Just build a new practice facility next to the high school like there has been talk about for 5+ years and let it be done with.
Beef Wrote:Considering that the Blue Goose floor is rubber, why would you want to try to build a program on such a floor? Just build a new practice facility next to the high school like there has been talk about for 5+ years and let it be done with.
The new practice facility at the high school is only in your dreams. They have been talking about that for 10 years and still no digging!! The Goose does have a rubber floor but it is twice as big as the elementary gym. No one said they would "build" the basketball program at the Blue Goose, but it is about time that it can be used for basketball. This is a great move. It is already being rentivated as we speak.....the floor is being painted, new goals are being put up, and new scoreboards will be there shortly. It still won't be a thing of beauty but the improvements will make it a good practice facility. Cheerleading is losing some luster at PHS. The girls are starting to drop off at the HS level. The parents are also frustrated with the expense of cheering now. I think you will see Pikeville Cheerleading drop back to normal like the rest of this area before long. Girls are just getting burned out with it!!
bball fan Wrote:The new practice facility at the high school is only in your dreams. They have been talking about that for 10 years and still no digging!! The Goose does have a rubber floor but it is twice as big as the elementary gym. No one said they would "build" the basketball program at the Blue Goose, but it is about time that it can be used for basketball. This is a great move. It is already being rentivated as we speak.....the floor is being painted, new goals are being put up, and new scoreboards will be there shortly. It still won't be a thing of beauty but the improvements will make it a good practice facility. Cheerleading is losing some luster at PHS. The girls are starting to drop off at the HS level. The parents are also frustrated with the expense of cheering now. I think you will see Pikeville Cheerleading drop back to normal like the rest of this area before long. Girls are just getting burned out with it!!

You are off a tad in my book. First off.....any idea where the name "Gym" came from?

Long befor Naismith came up with the game of basketball, the"Gym" was used for gymnastics.

basketball, took over the "Gym" and now there are few high schools that offer competitve gymnastics.

Cheerleading is the last "toe-hold" that many schools have to hang onto any form of gymnastics. And if there was a place out there that was primarily used for this, then I think that is great!! But there are idiots out there that think that "Gyms" were built for basketball!!! LOL
love them and there HOT too
bball fan Wrote:The new practice facility at the high school is only in your dreams. They have been talking about that for 10 years and still no digging!! The Goose does have a rubber floor but it is twice as big as the elementary gym. No one said they would "build" the basketball program at the Blue Goose, but it is about time that it can be used for basketball. This is a great move. It is already being rentivated as we speak.....the floor is being painted, new goals are being put up, and new scoreboards will be there shortly. It still won't be a thing of beauty but the improvements will make it a good practice facility. Cheerleading is losing some luster at PHS. The girls are starting to drop off at the HS level. The parents are also frustrated with the expense of cheering now. I think you will see Pikeville Cheerleading drop back to normal like the rest of this area before long. Girls are just getting burned out with it!!

You have no idea what you are talking about. The cheerleaders have been in the Blue Goose for 23 years when nobody wanted to go near the building because of the conditions in it with no heat or AC and terrible rest room facilities. I hope that they do move in and work on the building(more ammunition for later actions). As far as the auxilliary gym goes, it was delayed because of the work on the girls softball field by the State facilities people. Bids are currently being taken for the removal of the house where the current board office resides. If their are no bids to remove the house, it will be demolished in accordance with state guidelines. At this point, design of the new facility will be completed. Construction is up to the state, as are all new construction dealing with the schools. All of this is based on needs in the system. As far as the cheerleading goes, they have over 100 girls from kindergarden through high school using the facilities, far more than the basketball people have. It is just another move( in a long line of actions by the basketball people) by jealous people. As another poster posted earlier, it was a strong arm move by the new CITY SCHOOL BOARD MEMBER and the super who initiated this action, with the dates for moving out being emailed by the Principal to the affected parties. Other issues over this will follow????
fox sports Wrote:Why the move???
What is going to happen to the blue goose aka Pikeville Cheerleading Mecca???

The mecca will continue just in a different place. They can be sent to many places, but it will not keep them from being on top, as can not be said by the those who initiated these actions.
hillbilly Wrote:As far as the cheerleading goes, they have over 100 girls from kindergarden through high school using the facilities, far more than the basketball people have.
Other issues over this will follow????
How many basketball players from K-12??
What other issues do you think will follow???
Who is the so called board member that is stirring things up??
If he/she is a board member, they are now a public figure and you can and should use their name.
fox sports Wrote:How many basketball players from K-12??
What other issues do you think will follow???
Who is the so called board member that is stirring things up??
If he/she is a board member, they are now a public figure and you can and should use their name.

The 100 girls are through 8th grade not high school. I made that mistake sorry.
The actions were done or initiated before the election.
Who is on the city school board???
I had no clue the blue goose was the cheerleading capital of the world lol
The_Pistol Wrote:I had no clue the blue goose was the cheerleading capital of the world lol
I think it is more just a territorial battle.
The blue goose had been dubbed "the cheerleaders gym" for many years and with the passage of time, they claimed squatters rights.
Now that the nest has been disturbed there will be squawking.
Sad to see internal turmoil at any school
Sad
Pikeville will always be about academics, football, and cheerleading. Plain and simple. It doesn't matter how much you put into it Pikeville just won't be a basketball school. And I hate that because I think the world of Bart and his staff. Basketball will always be in the back court so to speak. Football is what brings the money. And isn't that what it is about anymore is money.
You wanna talk "money".... then Cheerleading is the topic for you! If folks think these ladies will walk away from this without a brand fired new facilty that they have deserved for years.... someone needs to had out lithium! This was an ugly ugly move by some man who moved into the Pikeville School District from Virgie & who is now, on the school board @ Pikeville. If the Super was in on it, then SHAME ON HIM. He needs to look at his enrollment & ADA #'s. These ladies won't make a spectacle out of a place they have supported and defended for the majority of their lives. They won't have to... the numbers will speak and some quiet Panther Cheer Daddies and Mommies along with Panther Alums will very quietly "take care" of this one. Then that ugly brought-on BOE member can have his "Blue Goose" because he'll play "hob" getting into the new facility after he's created apublic "tado". Pikeville folks don't behave like that, but I guess this man isn't from Pikeville now is he?
I say.... "Hail Pikeville.............."! (Train85... you're right, Academics, Football, & Cheer)
bball fan Wrote:This move makes a lot of sense and has been long overdue!! The Blue Goose and the elementary gym are the only two places for our young kids to practice. So, since the elementary gym is way too small to be used for basketball but is plenty big enough for the cheerleaders, my question to everyone is why did this move take so long. Sounds like they finally have someone on the board with some "kahuna's" and thankfully a basketball coach who is determined to bring Pikeville Basketball Back!!
Thanks for standing up for what is right guys!!!!!!!!!!

"Kahuna's" - Like a surfer.... or did you mean "cahones" - like nads? I've laughed my head off! You know what, it's possible for people to co-exist peacefully. If these two groups could have worked together... imagine what they could have accomplished and felt good about. No one likes to be "strong-armed".
hillbilly Wrote:You have no idea what you are talking about. The cheerleaders have been in the Blue Goose for 23 years when nobody wanted to go near the building because of the conditions in it with no heat or AC and terrible rest room facilities. I hope that they do move in and work on the building(more ammunition for later actions). As far as the auxilliary gym goes, it was delayed because of the work on the girls softball field by the State facilities people. Bids are currently being taken for the removal of the house where the current board office resides. If their are no bids to remove the house, it will be demolished in accordance with state guidelines. At this point, design of the new facility will be completed. Construction is up to the state, as are all new construction dealing with the schools. All of this is based on needs in the system. As far as the cheerleading goes, they have over 100 girls from kindergarden through high school using the facilities, far more than the basketball people have. It is just another move( in a long line of actions by the basketball people) by jealous people. As another poster posted earlier, it was a strong arm move by the new CITY SCHOOL BOARD MEMBER and the super who initiated this action, with the dates for moving out being emailed by the Principal to the affected parties. Other issues over this will follow????
You keep saying that there are 100 girls from K-12 using the blue goose!!
Well, compare that to these #'s in the basketball program:
*130 Little Leaguers from 1st grade through 6th grade.
*25 jr. high boy's players.
*25 girls jr. high players.
*25 boy's 9-12th grade
*25 girl's 9-12th grade
If my math is correct that is 230 student/athletes that could possibly use the blue goose for basketball compared to the cheerleaders claim of 100.
TRAIN85 Wrote:Pikeville will always be about academics, football, and cheerleading. Plain and simple. It doesn't matter how much you put into it Pikeville just won't be a basketball school. And I hate that because I think the world of Bart and his staff. Basketball will always be in the back court so to speak. Football is what brings the money. And isn't that what it is about anymore is money.
Sure, acadmics, football, and cheerleading have always been strong at Pikeville but things are slowly changing. The acadmics will always be strong just because of the type of kids they get but the football program is certainly not what it used to be. They are holding on to the glory days of the late 80's for dear life. The Panthers have struggled when it counts the past few years on the gridiron. They haven't had a "big" win in a long, long time. The crowds have been very dissapointing as of late and the natives are restless. Basketball on the other hand is on the rise fast. I have been in this town for 40+ years and have never seen the interest at the level that it is now. This town has been starving for a top notch program for a long time and it is on the horizon.

By the way, just to clear things up! The football program is the most expensive sport at PHS. The athletic program loses money on the football program because of the cost to run the program. The football program spends about 4 times as much as any other program just because of equipment. And lately the gate money is down!!
The people in the city limits vote on the school board members and the person that the cheerleaders keep blaming everything on was the leading vote getter!! Go think on that for a while. He is very popular right now....maybe not with those holding pom-poms but with the rest of the community!!
bball fan Wrote:Sure, acadmics, football, and cheerleading have always been strong at Pikeville but things are slowly changing. The acadmics will always be strong just because of the type of kids they get but the football program is certainly not what it used to be. They are holding on to the glory days of the late 80's for dear life. The Panthers have struggled when it counts the past few years on the gridiron. They haven't had a "big" win in a long, long time. The crowds have been very dissapointing as of late and the natives are restless. Basketball on the other hand is on the rise fast. I have been in this town for 40+ years and have never seen the interest at the level that it is now. This town has been starving for a top notch program for a long time and it is on the horizon.

By the way, just to clear things up! The football program is the most expensive sport at PHS. The athletic program loses money on the football program because of the cost to run the program. The football program spends about 4 times as much as any other program just because of equipment. And lately the gate money is down!!

How are they changing?
Pikeville has one kid on their basketball team that is talented that didn't transfer because of football.
Take away Harmon and the Honakers (besides Clevenger, these are the workhorses on the team) and Pikeville is looking at just another decent year.
Because so many transfer into Pikeville to play football and basketball benifits from that, people like you think you have built a basketball program from scratch.
We have had very similar things just like this happen here and look at us now!!! Our Football and Cheer programs were as good as any but we let people destroy them to benifit themselves and now we have to fight and scratch just to get a little respect in anything!!!
We will see where all this greed gets Pikeville in a few short years!!!
Your County schools will laugh all the way to State at your expence!!!
bball fan Wrote:The people in the city limits vote on the school board members and the person that the cheerleaders keep blaming everything on was the leading vote getter!! Go think on that for a while. He is very popular right now....maybe not with those holding pom-poms but with the rest of the community!!
Who is he???
He is now an elected public figure...name names...inform us.
where do I start BBALL. If you have been in this town for 40 years, then you can remember well that after the three football titles in the 80's, things around the high school changed. Elements got real jealous over the success of the football team and stirred up a lot of behind the scenes trouble, which over the years has hurt the program. Football does cost a lot because of (1) the amount of equipment to suit up one player, (2) the amount of kids playing the sport, (3) cost of travel, and (4) the facilities. Their budget has continuously been cut over the years down to where it is half of what schools they compete against spend. Last year the intake of money was more than what the teams budget from the school included. You can not base what a program does over a three year period in the 80's. This program is still very strong and will continue to be in the future, through the hard work of the kids, coaches, and their parents.

Lets talk about numbers. The little league basketball has been using the Blue Goose and Elementary gym for the last twenty years in conjunction with the cheeleaders with only minor scheduling problems (if you have lived here for forty years then you you should have known all of this). I coached in the little league for eight years and do know that 135 kids is more than what is there, and what problems went along with the scheduling of all the activities.

Lets talk about the basketball program. I wish they would become a regional power. It would benefit the community and the school. Do not drag down other people, programs, and most important KIDS in your search for a better basketball program. What big wins has the basketball program had over the years? 1999 is it since Keno and Howard Wallen had the teams and do not say last years district championship. Most of the other sports at Pikeville regularly win district titlas year in and year out so you can not compare them with basketball.

Now lets talk about your board member. I personnally know of many people that have told this guy that they never wopuld have voted for him had they known the way he was acting over this situation. Not as popular NOW as you think. Unless you are a part of the handful of basketball boosters or the head coaches, you do not know what has gone on behind peoples backs.

This is not about young kids other than the junior high. They just wanted the 3:30 time for practices. The school board does rent this building out to different people which has caused nightmares over scheduling over the past few years.

I will close with this thought: It does not matter where the cheerleaders practise, they will always succeed because of the hard work and dedication of the kids, parents, and coaches. They put a lot of time into being the best that they can be.
Cheerleading is expensive with the travel that goes on with competing against the best this COUNTRY has to offer, with no finacial help from the school system. Everything that they have purchased over the years has been done through fundraising and parental support. Top notch sports programs and academic achievements are made through hard work and dedication by the KIDS who participate in each of these activities. This what school is all about KIDS and not mommy and daddy and their desires. If you want to build a top notch program, build it the right way and do not trample over other kids as you do it. Good luck to Bart and the kids this year.
hillbilly Wrote:where do I start BBALL. If you have been in this town for 40 years, then you can remember well that after the three football titles in the 80's, things around the high school changed. Elements got real jealous over the success of the football team and stirred up a lot of behind the scenes trouble, which over the years has hurt the program. Football does cost a lot because of (1) the amount of equipment to suit up one player, (2) the amount of kids playing the sport, (3) cost of travel, and (4) the facilities. Their budget has continuously been cut over the years down to where it is half of what schools they compete against spend. Last year the intake of money was more than what the teams budget from the school included. You can not base what a program does over a three year period in the 80's. This program is still very strong and will continue to be in the future, through the hard work of the kids, coaches, and their parents.

Lets talk about numbers. The little league basketball has been using the Blue Goose and Elementary gym for the last twenty years in conjunction with the cheeleaders with only minor scheduling problems (if you have lived here for forty years then you you should have known all of this). I coached in the little league for eight years and do know that 135 kids is more than what is there, and what problems went along with the scheduling of all the activities.

Lets talk about the basketball program. I wish they would become a regional power. It would benefit the community and the school. Do not drag down other people, programs, and most important KIDS in your search for a better basketball program. What big wins has the basketball program had over the years? 1999 is it since Keno and Howard Wallen had the teams and do not say last years district championship. Most of the other sports at Pikeville regularly win district titlas year in and year out so you can not compare them with basketball.

Now lets talk about your board member. I personnally know of many people that have told this guy that they never wopuld have voted for him had they known the way he was acting over this situation. Not as popular NOW as you think. Unless you are a part of the handful of basketball boosters or the head coaches, you do not know what has gone on behind peoples backs.

This is not about young kids other than the junior high. They just wanted the 3:30 time for practices. The school board does rent this building out to different people which has caused nightmares over scheduling over the past few years.

I will close with this thought: It does not matter where the cheerleaders practise, they will always succeed because of the hard work and dedication of the kids, parents, and coaches. They put a lot of time into being the best that they can be.
Cheerleading is expensive with the travel that goes on with competing against the best this COUNTRY has to offer, with no finacial help from the school system. Everything that they have purchased over the years has been done through fundraising and parental support. Top notch sports programs and academic achievements are made through hard work and dedication by the KIDS who participate in each of these activities. This what school is all about KIDS and not mommy and daddy and their desires. If you want to build a top notch program, build it the right way and do not trample over other kids as you do it. Good luck to Bart and the kids this year.

Thank You Hillbilly! I, too, wrote a lengthy response to bball, but it was so explosive, I have saved it for another day... counting to ten with it, if you will. I was so angry about this last night... after I read thru bball's posts that I didn't sleep worth a darn.... and it's NOT EVEN MY SCHOOL! I can say this.... I have seen this very thing happen within other schools and the cheer program folded, more or less, because not enough of the good people cared enough about making the "ugly people" mad... to see things thru properly. This "handful of people" @ Pikeville that we're talking about, are the very worst kind & are poisonous to a small school. I bet this whole thing will bring out the best and the worst in this community and for once I'd like to see the "nice people" come out on top! What sort of people destroy one program to build another? HEARTLESS, SELF-CENTERED PEOPLE WHO FOR THE MOST PART WERE NOT BORN AND RAISED PANTHERS... BUT THERE'S A FEW MAROON BLOODS IN ON THIS ONE AND SHAME ON THEM! This entire matter could have been avoided if everyone could have placed their cards and where-with-all on the table and worked together. The KIDS could have actually won one and supported one another in this... even if one isn't very good and the other is! Miss Wheeler and Miss Stone are the best there is... and they've guided their girls to area, state, and national titles.... I guess the old adage "No good deed goes unpunished" is so true as far as this situation goes. If the basketball program is all fired up over gym scheduling... let them take a look at neighboring schools who are successful. How danged hard is it to book times and stick to them? Well, one thing is for certain... the cheer program has been moved from the back of the bus... Stratton has taken them from the back of the bus and thrown them under it............... what a man what a mighty mighty man... wah-hoo-hoo! He's managed to cave in to a handful of brought-on$ and plunge a dagger into the heart of a program that is there to promote Spirit & Support for the very program that is willing to kill them.... I think ESPN ought to get a load of this because it's amazing what some people will do to their friends and neighbors over high school sports! The next move will be this... the head coach will enlist his roundballers to stop playing football..... and then you'll really see some doo-doo hit the fan!
a
This is a terrible blow to the Pikeville Cheerleaders. How many titles has Pikeville's basketball program won in recent years? I'm sure not enough to even compare to the cheerleaders many District, Regional, State, AND National Titles. It's just not fair. Cheerleaders are treated like pieces of crap by every school system. Pikeville was blessed with the Blue Goose, and that is why they are so good. The squad actually had a facility to practice in anytime they needed, w/o having to worry about stupid schedule conflicts. What are they going to do now? This is ridiculous.
u all have no clue what u are talking about so sit down
Enlighten us then please.
Pages: 1 2