Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: North Carolina 75 - Kentucky 63
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Turnovers killed Kentucky today. Reyshawn Terry was the difference maker for UNC. UK would get it close and he would hit big 3 after big 3. Randolph Morris absolutelyy ate Tyler Hansbrough alive. Morris was probably the best player on the courty today. 11-12 from the field, missed his first shot with about 40 seconds left. UK needs consistant play from Morris like the way he played today. UNC's frosh are amazing, and should carry this team very far into the postseason.
Only Morris showed up going 11 for 12 from the field today, and everyone else stunk up the floor especailly, Sheray Thomas who I think is one of the worst to put on a UK jersey....I still think UK has a lot of potential to compete with anyone but until they act like they all want to play then there not going to go far this year....
UNC wins a slow tempo game in this one.

Despite what anybody says I really think UK is on the same level as UNC. The guards played absolutely awful today, and that won't happen as often as it did today, and 3 point shooting was awful for UK.

Terry beat UK for the 2nd year in a row making 4-5 from 3 pointers, and Tubby put the clamps on Hansbrough for the 2nd year in the row with only 7 points shooting 2-10 from the field.

Morris really showed him up with 23 points and 7 rebound shooting 11-12 from the field.

It sucks that UK lost, but the guard play will come around, and with Morris playing like this they could be a dangerous team in March. They hung with UCLA and today showed they can hang with UNC if not for the 20+ turnovers that weren't caused by tough defense but just bad passing.

Kentucky outrebounded NC 38-31.

Kentucky lost, but look for them to go on a run from here on out. I think they lose 1 more game going into the Florida game at 19-4.
Thomas didnt score but 2 points, but he had 4 rebounds, 1 assist, and 1 steal in limited action today. He also played some good defense. He didn't hurt Kentucky. The guards did, and that can be shown by the stats such as Crawford's 7 turnovers.
Thomas is awful...Everytime he had the ball seemed like he either would take a bad shot or would turn it over....I would rather take my chances with Carter or Stevenson.....By the way, when Ellington stole the ball, how was that called a flagrant foul on Bradley...I mean he went for the ball, or at least tried too..What is he supposed to do, give him the layup and make no effort to stop him from scoring???
He went 1-3 shooting. And just had 2 turnovers. His 2 misses weren't bad shots, and his make was a nice up and under down low. So I don't know what you're talking about. Thomas didn't hurt Kentucky one bit today. Crawford's 7 turnovers were a lot worse than anything Thomas could have done today. Plus shooting 0-5 from 3 point range.

And the flagrant foul call was awful, Bradley did go for the ball. Even Billy Packer said that was bad, and for him to take UK's side on anything is nothing short of amazing. He did quite a bit today.

It's beyond me how Hansbrough didn't foul out in the 1st 10 minutes of the game. I couldn't believe the no calls on him today.
Well one of my predictions was wrong that Morris had a tough time with Hansborough. He pretty much had his way with him down low and totally dominated him. Yeah the turnovers basically hurt UK very bad in this game and might have decided the outcome differently. Congrats to UNC tho.
Yea, Crawford hurt us a ton more than Thomas did. I mean Crawford had 7 turnovers and couldn't hit anything from outside. Morris really proved that Hansborough IS NOT the best player in the nation like everybody said he is. I truly believe that Morris is just as good as Hansborough is when he shows up to play. If we cut down on the 20+ turnovers that we had and hit a few more 3's then there is no question in my mind that we could have beaten UNC.
Is it me or is Hansbrough just garbage?..He gets all the praise in the world but i dont think he is good at all...By the way as for Billy Packer, yeah it seemed like he wasnt giving UK a chance but whats new...And i even heard him mention the steal by Bobby Perry, he said it should have been a foul on Terry when landed on him fighting for the ball...Very surprised to hear him siding with UK on that one..
I thought Crawford had 10 TO's, but either way you want to look at it, he played horrible!!! He missed every 3 he took, which was probably 75 % of the total 3's UK attempted. Carter done well I thought, I would much rather see him out there as compared to Orbzut. Did you all see when Carter had 3 blocks in a row on Brandan Wright down low? Kentucky can hang with the big boys, but until they end the sloppy play that they had today, we will continue to fall short.
looks like another long disappointing year for UK fans yet again...
Refs were pitiful even though Kentucky lost the game on there own. I don't understand why in the world sheray is getting to play over Stevenson. Thats a joke to me I can't stand seeing Sheray on the floor, let the young guy in there. One decison I can't agree with that Tubby has made it makes absolutely no sense to me. Meeks needs to play more if Crawford is going to keep making costly mistakes. Morris played great today and dominated Hansborough completly.
As everyone on BGR should know..I am Meeks biggest fan and agree with UKGIRL20...He should get to play more...He is going to be a very solid player unless he gets aggrevated at playing time and transfers!
You guys are cracking me up. I'm glad to see BelfryPride throwing in the towel this early. Not surprised. People will be jumping back on the bandwagon soon enough. 3 losses to 3 top 15 teams. And UK fans are calling it a long season. Hysterical.
This team will be alright Alfus21! Still alot of roundball to be played!
Smile What did Meeks do today to deserve more playing time?

1-6 from the field, and 2 turnovers in 10 minutes. He looked awkward and confused today. No need in keeping him out there.

By the way, Im in no way justifying Crawford's play as good, but Meeks didn't exactly make himself a worthy contributor to feel in for a struggling Crawford today.

He had 7 turnovers, but he also had 14 points and 10 rebounds.
PLAYBOY5 Wrote:This team will be alright Alfus21! Still alot of roundball to be played!

I'm glad you think so too man. This team has a lot of upside, and when the guards come around (which they will) UK will be a very dangerous team in March.
I want to clear something up though about my Meeks post. In my way was I meaning to bash him, because he's probably my favorite freshman, but I was just saying he had an off day today and didn't deserve to play a lot.

I like seeing him on the floor as much as possible though, and I really think he will be a UK great by the time he leaves here.
I'm with Bolerjack and Packer, you just never got the sense that UK had a chance even though it was around 10 most of the second half....
alfus21 Wrote:Thomas didnt score but 2 points, but he had 4 rebounds, 1 assist, and 1 steal in limited action today. He also played some good defense. He didn't hurt Kentucky. The guards did, and that can be shown by the stats such as Crawford's 7 turnovers.

I never realized 23 min. of play was limited action. His turnover when Kentucky was on a 4v3 fast break didn't help much, nor did his amazing "let me stand still while the man I'm guarding blows past me" defense throughout the game. Off the top of my head I can think of 2 of his missed shots, one was a BRICKED 3-pointer and the other was a missed turn around jumper in the lane which should've easily been made. ESPN says he missed one more but I can't think of it, you can refresh my memory if you'd like because I wouldn't mind the laugh. The fact that a player at the level of Thomas is getting as much playing time on our team and even starting is a joke. He deserves no more than 10 min. a game and Jared Carter doesn't deserve to touch the floor, even during timeouts. When this senior class graduates, the UK nation can celebrate a better future without them and hopefully Tubby Smith will follow them out the door.

While I'm at it, I'll go ahead and take a few shots at Tubby. The most popular defense people have had for him over the past couple years has been that it's impossible to be good year after year. Well, tell that to Duke, UNC, UCONN, and Memphis. We're no longer feared and back to back years getting our arse handed to us by UNC has looked really good. None of the big time recruits want to play here anymore because it's not a scorers system. For the big time players, coming here literally will cost them money in the future because they won't look half as good here as they would in UNC or Duke. Also, I hope Tubby has learned that passing out scholarships to anybody 7' and up isn't always a good choice, for instance, Woo(LOL), Carter, and Alleyne.

Perry Stevenson is playing down right now but will start to turn it around. Porter, well I wonder what his job on this team really is. Jasper is doing well, Meeks is also performing nicely. By the end of the season, I expect Jasper and Meeks both to have fairly large roles on this team, while we'll most likely have to wait until next year to see Stevenson at his best. I don't hardly know what to expect from Porter, giving his size. He did have a nice drive to the hole today but it seems to me at this point he's having trouble getting shots.

Given everything, I expect us to make it to the second or third rounds of the tournament at this point. Unless the team makes a far better turn for the good than I expect, that will be as much as we get from them this season.

And by the way, yea, we have lost to 3 top 15 teams this season but we're averaging a double digit loss in those 3 losses. We should've atleast beat one of those teams to prove we're a top 25 team, but right now we aren't one anyways.
Mr. Norris Wrote:I never realized 23 min. of play was limited action. His turnover when Kentucky was on a 4v3 fast break didn't help much, nor did his amazing "let me stand still while the man I'm guarding blows past me" defense throughout the game. Off the top of my head I can think of 2 of his missed shots, one was a BRICKED 3-pointer and the other was a missed turn around jumper in the lane which should've easily been made. ESPN says he missed one more but I can't think of it, you can refresh my memory if you'd like because I wouldn't mind the laugh. The fact that a player at the level of Thomas is getting as much playing time on our team and even starting is a joke. He deserves no more than 10 min. a game and Jared Carter doesn't deserve to touch the floor, even during timeouts. When this senior class graduates, the UK nation can celebrate a better future without them and hopefully Tubby Smith will follow them out the door.

While I'm at it, I'll go ahead and take a few shots at Tubby. The most popular defense people have had for him over the past couple years has been that it's impossible to be good year after year. Well, tell that to Duke, UNC, UCONN, and Memphis. We're no longer feared and back to back years getting our arse handed to us by UNC has looked really good. None of the big time recruits want to play here anymore because it's not a scorers system. For the big time players, coming here literally will cost them money in the future because they won't look half as good here as they would in UNC or Duke. Also, I hope Tubby has learned that passing out scholarships to anybody 7' and up isn't always a good choice, for instance, Woo(LOL), Carter, and Alleyne.

Perry Stevenson is playing down right now but will start to turn it around. Porter, well I wonder what his job on this team really is. Jasper is doing well, Meeks is also performing nicely. By the end of the season, I expect Jasper and Meeks both to have fairly large roles on this team, while we'll most likely have to wait until next year to see Stevenson at his best. I don't hardly know what to expect from Porter, giving his size. He did have a nice drive to the hole today but it seems to me at this point he's having trouble getting shots.

Given everything, I expect us to make it to the second or third rounds of the tournament at this point. Unless the team makes a far better turn for the good than I expect, that will be as much as we get from them this season.

And by the way, yea, we have lost to 3 top 15 teams this season but we're averaging a double digit loss in those 3 losses. We should've atleast beat one of those teams to prove we're a top 25 team, but right now we aren't one anyways.

You are right about Thomas, absolutely terrible...Just him being on the floor is a mistake...UK has a talented team, but Tubby dont seem to be utilizing his talent to the best potential...Oh well, hopefully they can get it together and beat an average Indiana squad...
Charlie Wrote:You are right about Thomas, absolutely terrible...Just him being on the floor is a mistake...UK has a talented team, but Tubby dont seem to be utilizing his talent to the best potential...Oh well, hopefully they can get it together and beat an average Indiana squad...

Precisely! I will give it to Tubby that he has managed to round up a pretty talented team but he isn't using it properly. Some players getting too much PT and some not getting quite as much as they need. Plus, Bradley is a scorer and should NOT be playing point guard. Throw Jasper in there and see if we can get it working like that because our offense should benefit greatly from having Bradley back on the wing. It is tough to think of the freshman Jasper leading the offense but it isn't clicking right now, see if he can give it the spark it needs.
Guys we all should know by now that no one will play very much until they get the defense down. That is why Thomas is playing he it terrible on offense and I don't like seeing him out there but he is playing because he understands the D. Once the new kids get the defense they'll get more PT. Carter is going to be playing more over WOO he is coming back from an injury and once he's 100% he'll be in there more. In the UCLA and UNC games the turnovers cost us those games in the Memphis game we were just wore out and had nothing at the end.

As for losing to UNC I hate this also but look at UK's history against the Tar Heels and compare the coaches and their W's and L's over the years. UNC is one of two teams to have a winning record against UK and that hasn't just happened in the past couple of years.
Hated to see this....I live and die with UK. We showed some promise though, we didn't get blown out by the big dogs. By NCAA tourney time we'll be fine.
Turnovers is what killed KY also like said early in the post the guards did not help any. Morris had a great game on both sides of the court, this team will be fine when march rolls around we just need to take care of the ball better.
alfus21 Wrote:UNC wins a slow tempo game in this one.

Despite what anybody says I really think UK is on the same level as UNC. The guards played absolutely awful today, and that won't happen as often as it did today, and 3 point shooting was awful for UK.

Terry beat UK for the 2nd year in a row making 4-5 from 3 pointers, and Tubby put the clamps on Hansbrough for the 2nd year in the row with only 7 points shooting 2-10 from the field.

Morris really showed him up with 23 points and 7 rebound shooting 11-12 from the field.

It sucks that UK lost, but the guard play will come around, and with Morris playing like this they could be a dangerous team in March. They hung with UCLA and today showed they can hang with UNC if not for the 20+ turnovers that weren't caused by tough defense but just bad passing.

Kentucky outrebounded NC 38-31.

Kentucky lost, but look for them to go on a run from here on out. I think they lose 1 more game going into the Florida game at 19-4.

haha ahh come on alfus, they will still get their 22-25 wins, hey, they are just 4-3, Memphis killed them, over half of you guys said they would shock UNC, well doesnt look like that happend, and im still sure you guys think they are a sweet 16 team, but im sure they can beat teams like, Iona, and Miss State and Ole Miss, its ok guys,
UNC did not beat UK. UK beat UK. Way to many turnovers and Morris is the only one that showed up to play.
Morris did play good, i mean all of his shots were dunks, hard to miss those when u can get up like no other, but if this game was played over UNC would still win, it would take an awsome effort from Bradley Morris and Perry, and they all 3 want to be the superstars, so thats going to be hard for them to pull off, UNC, not like that, and thats why they will win their 2nd national championship in 3 years
Somerset_Football Wrote:UNC did not beat UK. UK beat UK. Way to many turnovers and Morris is the only one that showed up to play.

i was certain the scoreboard said that UNC won...
crazytaxidriver Wrote:i was certain the scoreboard said that UNC won...

ha ha, yeah i think it did as well
Pages: 1 2