Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Khsaa rule
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Who will be MOST affected by the player rule.
not be 15 as an 8th grader
not be 14 as a 7th grader
not be 13 as a 6th grader, as of August first. No repeats in grade and able to play sports.
With this rule, what will happen to your team?
Do we really need yet another thread on this topic? It will still be done prior to the 6th grade, as that's normally how it goes anyway. Very little will change. Region 4 will still dominate the state playoffs in middle school at pretty much every level.
Furthermore this has been a rule for KYMSFA members for the last 7 years.

Much todo about nothing.
Hit the weights
A kid can be 15 and an 8th grader but cannot turn 16 that same year until after august 1st.
plantmanky Wrote:Furthermore this has been a rule for KYMSFA members for the last 7 years.

Much todo about nothing.

The age rule has been there but not the holdback rule!
plantmanky Wrote:Furthermore this has been a rule for KYMSFA members for the last 7 years.

Much todo about nothing.

Since there is much to do about nothing, do something about this..
PLEASE review why a high school who has 3 feeder schools that play on the same team and has 400 kids 6-8 can make a D3 cutoff.... You can private message me. Thanks for the reply.
Yea did not think I would get a response.
ManofGod, why would the KYMSFA want to look into a high school for having 3 feeder schools? I mean if we base high school classification off of how many feeder schools they have then all the high schools in JCPS would be 6a since any student can go to any school.

As far as the D3 team, i am assuming you are talking about New Harlan (which it has been talked about before), they are a school the pulls a team together from surrounding schools in that county and the total number of boys in the schools is under 160, which is the D3 cutoff.

The numbers are taking directly from the KDE website. You have to look at the total number of BOYS in grade 7 & 8. NOT the total number in the WHOLE SCHOOL.
Coach_Lockwood Wrote:ManofGod, why would the KYMSFA want to look into a high school for having 3 feeder schools? I mean if we base high school classification off of how many feeder schools they have then all the high schools in JCPS would be 6a since any student can go to any school.

As far as the D3 team, i am assuming you are talking about New Harlan (which it has been talked about before), they are a school the pulls a team together from surrounding schools in that county and the total number of boys in the schools is under 160, which is the D3 cutoff.

The numbers are taking directly from the KDE website. You have to look at the total number of BOYS in grade 7 & 8. NOT the total number in the WHOLE SCHOOL.

Hey Coach, Not talking about New Harlan. KDE website say over 400 kids in 6-8. One team and from 3 schools.
Ok cool, I've only heard about new harlan, who are you talking about?
My guess is that he is referencing Letcher Central but I may be wrong.
Not Letcher either.
Still waiting for this person to get back to me.
Then say who it is? why keep it a secret? Has said team won championships?
team has not won a championship, but waiting for review from an Official. Sorry
What a joke, if you feel you have such solid information then why not share your knowledge. The association has been at this for a long time and I would bet they wouldn't stick a school who should be D1 (by your amazing calculations) into D3.

Sounds like you just are looking at your numbers wrong. Have a great one.

KYMSFA yall do an amazing job, can't please everyone...keep up great work!
Coach_Lockwood Wrote:What a joke, if you feel you have such solid information then why not share your knowledge. The association has been at this for a long time and I would bet they wouldn't stick a school who should be D1 (by your amazing calculations) into D3.

Sounds like you just are looking at your numbers wrong. Have a great one.

KYMSFA yall do an amazing job, can't please everyone...keep up great work!

WOW really,,, a joke.. I did share my knowledge with the people who matter and I have still not heard anything back, SO unless you can make changes then your negative comments do nothing for the issue. A D2 school in D3, thats all. the issue is solid, the numbers are solid, the info is solid and just waiting for a response.. So thanks there Coach Lockwood, have a good one.
ok well since you hide behind your manofgod name, let's check yours facts. You said the school together has over 400 students? What is the number of boys in just the 6th and 8th grade? Does each of the 3 schools contribute players to the team? The divisions are broken down by the number of male students from the 6-7th grades. If you have a school district who has multiple schools but makes one team then you haven. Look at the amount of boys that are from each school and if that school has kids on team.

For example, if you have three schools and the combined they have 400 kids, let's say half are boys 200. Then you need to look and see if each school contributes players. You can have three schools form a team but say one school doesn't contribute players, they don't get counted into the total, do you follow?

So what yes the KDE can list the population but what it won't list is if the school actually sends kids to that team, follow?

Coach Lockwood
I think he is talking about Louisa (Lawrence County).

The math is done that way but manofgod may have a point. If you are the only school in the county that offers football doesn't seem right you get to hide in D3 when you are probably pulling all the fb players in. New Harlan got folks steamed a couple of years ago, but they have two other ms teams in the county.

I will state with this though. No one is trying to cheat, so there's really no reason to have the accusatory tone. Maybe the formula is wrong and needs to be revisited. Maybe it is what it is when we can't get all of the ms in the state to play.
I agree it all comes down to all the MS teams need to join the association like the high schools are and the. We can adjust the divisions, regions and everything. Don't really have these issues with the HS but you can't make everyone join and play by same rules. I'm just happy with every thing the association has been doing for the past 7 years.

I wasn't trying to come off as accusing, I had only heard of the new harlan complaint from couple years ago, never heard much from the Louisa section. I fell another issue is that I. The majority of the state you have k-6 schools and 7-8 middle schools. I can see how this can confuse numbers and all that.
At this point, who really cares? I haven't seen any success out of any of the 3 schools mentioned. Now if one of these programs had a dynasty rolling in D3, questioning it may be justified. How did this thread go from holdbacks to enrollment so quickly? LOL. Sounds like ManofGod is just looking for an argument.
Agreed--

So back to hold backs (like that ain't been debated)

The only adjustment is that the kid won't be eligible to play during holdback year, but like stated earlier, most kids are held back in the elementary school. I see no issues with this at all, just can't wait for football again.

Does anyone do spring ball? Know of any spring leagues? Currently we are allowed to do flag and 7-on-7 in the spring. Would love to actually have kids hit.
Coach Lockwood, you were spot on not accusatory at all.

Letcher in final this year in D3. new Harlan in finals last year. Wildcat, you are usually on these things !

I'll be doing some spring ball this year. Doubt I'll be throwing as much with my kids.
I usually am! LOL. I don't judge by finals appearances. There have been plenty of one-hit-wonders. No one outside of Letcher expected them to get by Hazard. I'd bet Hazard would win 8 or 9 out of a 10 game series last season.
Real concern next year isn't the holdback rule it's how khsaa/kymsfa hands down the "6 quarter rule"
6 quarter rule?
Players are only allowed 6 quarters of play in a 7 day week. There have been indications this will be in place next year in some capacity although it is still unclear how it will even work at the hs level much less ms.
That's what I thought it was..but like you said it will be real hard to determine if a player has played more then that or not. Do you track minutes played or does it count as a quater if they play one play in that quarter...