Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: 2014 KYMSFA Regional Finals Brackets
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Why does Meece and Williamsburg have to drive 3 hours west to play seems a little weird
Several matchups like this are taking place.
Somerset vs Williamsburg at Nelson Co.
Corbin vs Knox Co ( about 20 min apart) at Letcher Co
Bowling Green vs Franklin Simpson at Paducah.
Glasgow vs Wayne at Nelson Co
Looks like they could use a neutral site and make travel much shorter to save substantial travel money while also drawing a bigger crowd. Win/win situation.
Guys we do this every year. Regional championships is what it's. I said that last year. Even if we didn't host, if my team had to travel then I wouldn't say a thing. Put the boys in the bus and let them enjoy this experience.
Southern traveled from Somerset to Paintsville the last 2-3 years. We played cross town rival in one of those years. Just Enjoy the game while it lasts,these kids will be grown and gone to quickly for complaining about the site...Plus you will get to see several games if you get there early and stay all day!!!
These kids will be traveling to play teams all over the state when in high school. It's just how it is and its a great experience for the kids. Getting out of their norm is a good thing for them. It lets them see parts of the state they might not see in normal life.

Plus it. Makes for a great day of football at each site instead of having one game at one place and another somewhere else, this way you get 3 or 4 games if you stay whole day.
hollcat Wrote:Several matchups like this are taking place.
Somerset vs Williamsburg at Nelson Co.
Corbin vs Knox Co ( about 20 min apart) at Letcher Co
Bowling Green vs Franklin Simpson at Paducah.
Glasgow vs Wayne at Nelson Co
Looks like they could use a neutral site and make travel much shorter to save substantial travel money while also drawing a bigger crowd. Win/win situation.

This is why there are whispers about another championship starting up.
They must be some pretty silent whispers...they ain't made it my way yet...care to give details on the other championship?
insideinfo Wrote:This is why there are whispers about another championship starting up.

If teams want to play the best competition they have to be willing to travel. Its a regional championship, focus on the game at hand
insideinfo Wrote:This is why there are whispers about another championship starting up.

Good luck. Step one will be getting approval from KDE to exist, now that any new association have to be approved by KDE first. Considering KDE has a proposal for KYMSFA to be the oversight Association for all MS Football in the state.........................
Get more teams in. That would squelch some of this travel.
The way I look at it is simple. 1) No matter what it is for the kids, and those eighth graders are going to travel a whole lot farther in high school. Are you going to complain then? Probably not! 2) Your school signed up for this association and paided dues to join. If travel was a problem, then stay local and just play county or bordering schools. Signing up for this ment you knew you had to travel. 3) if my son played, if I could I would travel anywhere to support them. 4) Most important! Ask the eight teams who played last year in the championship game was it worth the travel. I promise all will give a thumbs up. Good luck to all the teams.
I completely understand that kids will travel no matter what age group they are involved in but to have a school hosting a region final that is nowhere close to any school in that region doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me. And if they take over all of middle school football that would be great then everyone would be involved instead of a few schools here and there. And finding host schools maybe easier if more where involved.
buzz Wrote:I completely understand that kids will travel no matter what age group they are involved in but to have a school hosting a region final that is nowhere close to any school in that region doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me. And if they take over all of middle school football that would be great then everyone would be involved instead of a few schools here and there. And finding host schools maybe easier if more where involved.

Tell me a location that is no where close to any schools competing?
What you have to remember is that the regional sites are to host all levels, thats D1, D2, D3 and 7th grade.

Below is a list of all teams from each region, What would you recommend as neutral site? Remember all teams should be playing at same location in each region and preferrably have turf feild.

Region 1:Bowling Green, Franklin-simpson, Paducah, Bluegrass, Mclean, Owensboro

Region 2: Oldstead North, Meade, Farnsley, Glasgow, Wayne, Meece, Williamsburg

Region 3: Westport, Cal, JCTMS Barret, Clark Moores, Frankfort, Union

Region 4: Knox, Corbin, Bath, Belfry, So. Pulaski, Johnson, Letcher Central, Paintsville.
Lets also remember that site selection takes place well before the season starts.
Updated brackets after Mondays game.

http://www.kymsfa.com/KY_State_2014_play...-21-14.pdf
Sorry to ruffle your feathers but there isn't a team in region 2 Division 3 that's within 2 hours of the playoff location. All of you that are involved with this seem to get so defensive every year when someone suggest that travel is a problem for some kids familys
Sorry for the typo earlier plantmanky, why did you change it from the way it started that top seed had homefield until the final four. For the kids really?
buzz Wrote:Sorry to ruffle your feathers but there isn't a team in region 2 Division 3 that's within 2 hours of the playoff location. All of you that are involved with this seem to get so defensive every year when someone suggest that travel is a problem for some kids familys
Sorry for the typo earlier plantmanky, why did you change it from the way it started that top seed had homefield until the final four. For the kids really?

Speaking as frankly as I can here - no one's "feathers are ruffled" on the board. We work tirelessly year round for our sport at our level. There are literally a handful of complaints that we field from folks. It is OVERWHELMINGLY positive responses from people who come and see the investment a KMSFA event puts on for student-athletes, coaches and parents who are involved in our association.

There are lots of ways to put on a tournament. Our way has evolved into a regional championship. In my opinion, having the final 4 representatives from your region crowned to go to Lexington from 1 place means a lot more than if you let 2 teams play on a field somewhere and just call it a "championship". But I digress.....
buzz Wrote:Sorry to ruffle your feathers but there isn't a team in region 2 Division 3 that's within 2 hours of the playoff location. All of you that are involved with this seem to get so defensive every year when someone suggest that travel is a problem for some kids familys

Let me ask this how do you want us to fix travel? Force every team to be 5 minutes apart from each other? Make the schools move their buildings?

Meece and Williamsburg are just under 2 hours from Bardstown, and about the same to Whitesburg. I reached out to the schools and ask them which one they wanted to play their game at (at the beginning of the playoffs should they make it to regional finals). You know what both teams told me, "It doesn't matter travel is the same, we just want a neutral site and neutral officials." So they are playing in Bardstown, and get both.

Why don't the Higher seed host, several reasons. First being the 7th grade tag along always creates logistic issues. This year we have D1, D2, & a D3 team that their 7th is playing in the Regional finals as well. Which means multiple games at a site.

Take it a step further to Region 1, because of 7th grade tag along, 3 of the 4 games have to be played at the same site, so why not the 4th game.

Also, the last year we allowed high seed team to host the regional final game (even if just for their division) we had 3 schools that thought it would be a good idea to cancel the officials crew we got them and get their own. (is that the kinda game you want to play as the visiting team?) (ironically those teams have not been members since we put them on probation for those actions.)

The regional games are played all at one site primarily for oversight, there is a little more that goes on than just playing 4 football games.

Furthermore, its not as if these teams didn't have a chance to have their school be the host site. Every Spring I send emails out asking for teams interested in hosting regional finals, and normally there are 1 maybe 2 in a region that respond, thats it. We gotta work with what we got. Region 1 and 2 had zero responses, none. Luckily we had backup plans just incase.

Buzz - what you may take as defense, is us responding to the statement or question. Thats what we do. But let me ask you this, if travel is an issue now, what is your team going to do if they make it to Lexington? Why is it not an issue for finals, but its an issue everywhere else? And just for records sake, for every team that makes the suggestion that travel is an issue, we have another team that says they are tired of playing the same teams in the playoffs they have played all year. What do we do, were always open to suggestions. You know me name, you got me number.
I think you guys do a fine job of doing a job no one else wants to do until their team is involved. Keep up the good work. Hope to see you in Lexington. Go Tigers!!!!!
BigMelon63 Wrote:I think you guys do a fine job of doing a job no one else wants to do until their team is involved. Keep up the good work. Hope to see you in Lexington. Go Tigers!!!!!

Paintsville Tigers?, if so Ill see you Saturday, after my 5 hour drive to get there.
Guys tell all 7 schools about what we have for restaurants. McDonalds, Wendy's, Lone John Silver, Arby's, Subways, and Dairy Queen. Great info if ya feeding the players.
cougarpride08 Wrote:Guys tell all 7 schools about what we have for restaurants. McDonalds, Wendy's, Lone John Silver, Arby's, Subways, and Dairy Queen. Great info if ya feeding the players.

You all also have Pine Mountain Grill! Great place and food. My family eats there every chance we are that way. You are talking about Letcher County?
I think the association is doing a good job with the cards they are dealt. I personally would like to see every team in the state be a member like the khsaa but what can ya do. Bluegrass Bulldogs will load the bus and go anywhere to play we want to win the school another state title we haven't got one since 2008 and we're hungry
Pine Mountain Grill still there? Cool! I hope I can find it.
It is right beside McDonald's and our post office. I didn't mention Pine Mountain grill because it isn't fast food. It still is a great place to sit down and eat if you have the time.
Thank you.
Who is gonna be at Letcher Central Saturday?
Let's talk about what's important
Is the freaking jumbotron going to be on?!?!?! PLEASE say yes LOL
Pages: 1 2