Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Kentucky Future Stars
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Anybody out there familiar with this organization? My son and three other Union Raiders were selected to the team. They play a Tennesee Future Stars in June after a week of camp.
Looking for first hand knowledge of camp, game, player experience etc... versus cost of attending.
Thanks
As we have stated every year this event has existed, the KMSFA is NOT affiliated with this event.
I don't know a lot about this "all star" game except that Westport has sent a few players every year, and they play one game against TN(KY has lost every game). I think it's about the same cost of FBU...just get a week of camp and one game....our kids had fun...we didn't send any this year as the players are getting involved with their high school weight training programs...
This is a great event for the kids. We have had several kids from our program participate in this the past 4 years. They get to stay on a college campus and practice for several days then play vs Tennessee.
All the middle schools should get on board with this event. It's much like the old Kentucky vs Tennessee high school game that used to be played.
There are many variables on why the KMSFA is not involved in this event. The easiest one to site is the grey area that a student athlete puts themselves in by participating as a freshman in an All star game. The KHSAA does not allow that. This event does not take place during a current 8th graders scholastic year.
If I'm not mistaken, an 8th grader is not considered a freshman until their butt hits the seat in their first class as a high school student. The summer following their 8th grade year is still classifying them as an 8th grader. I may be wrong on that. Can someone clarify?
still an 8th grader till school starts back
8th graders get to participate in Varsity FB activities after the close of school. I bet KHSAA considers them freshmen.
no they are still 8th graders. summer aau basketball is no differant than football etc. 8th grader plays summer ball as an 8th grader and a 10th grader plays as a 10th grader until august
You may be right, and I'm too lazy to look it up, but if it is the case then no 8th grader/freshman could begin contact practice in football until the first day of school due to the limitations on contact between ms players and hs players. Same logic of a player participating in activities in the spring which isn't legal.

I think kymsfa2 is saying this is a gray area they want no part of.

Aau basketball is its own animal. Not sure I would base any argument on that.
It's a very gray area, our boys are not allowed to,practice with the high school they were accepted to until the day after their last day at middle school. KYMSFA allows students to participate during the actual school year.
You are an 8th grader until the last day of school in which you are promoted to 9th grade or retained in the 8th...
Definitely a grey area but I believe it is okay since school has not started yet. I could be wrong but I think it is okay.
If the player uses any school equipment its a direct violation of the HS rules and they would use eligibility, assuming someone turned them in for it.
Anyone been out to see the teams practice, how do they look?
8th grade KY team beat Tenn 12-7. First win ever over Tenmesee.
7th grade Ky lost in a close one.
How do get kids on this team
Kids tryout at a combine type workout during the summer.
Info at http://www.kentuckyfuturestars.com
My son made the team and attended this event this year. Its was a great learning experience and very affordable. The team boast very high caliber athletes, truly some of the best players in the state. The problem with the KMSFA All-State team is it is not truly All State they pick athletes from the teams that are apart of the organization. Leaving a lot of high caliber football players not in the mix because they play for schools not in the KMSFA footprint. Example Fayette County and Jefferson County Schools are not in the KMSFA organization, so players from those school districts do not get chosen to play on the KMSFA "All State Team". My son has played at a county and city school and the competition level is a big difference. Kentucky Future Stars talent wins it doesn't matter what team you played on, if your son can compete on that level he will play. It's an eye opener for a lot for parents that are use to competition on a small pond. Lots and Lots of talent. It's open to the whole state and anyone can try out. Great experience, he will try out again next year!
Kentucky Future stars players are to bring their own equipment. Equipment is not provided.
Jefferson county schools are in it...I sent at least 10 kids this year to the team and know of another 10 that played as well...and i know of kids who made the team that were not apart of a teams hat was on the association...the KY FBU team is a great team with THE BEST talent in the state..the kids get a lot of great coaching from some of the best middle and high school coaches in the state...
moore33w is incorrect when he says that Jefferson County students do not participate in the KMSFA. There are 20 JCPS middle schools who have football. The majority of those participate in the KMSFA. There are many players who still choose to play for their neighborhood little league teams who play outside of the JCPS middle school system and the KMSFA. I can only assume that that might be whom he is referring to? The KMSFA does not and will not support the Kentucky versus Tennessee future stars event for a host of reasons.

The KMSFA has reached out to Fayette County every year. Unfortunately, the FCPS athletic director has chosen not to allow their schools to participate. We get calls every Fall from angry parents in Lexington wanting to know why their children have been "excluded". We politely explain why those schools are not participating in the state playoffs and our all-star events.

I would also disagree with the notion that the KMSFA does not represent the majority of the state as being incorrect. We have over 150+ member schools from (literally) all across the state. Our events are available to all member schools. Our 7 on 7 events are even attended by non-member schools who take advantage of them. The head coach of the Tennessee future stars even brought his youth league team to UK this past month to compete in that 7 on 7 tournament.

I do not wish to get into any back and forth debate as far as the level of competition between the KY future stars and the KMSFA all-star events. I will simply say that the KMSFA enjoys providing opportunities for student-athletes at the middle school level in our Commonwealth and we look forward to hosting future events.
My son, Rasean McCauley, participated in the KMSFA EAST VS WEST ALL STAR game and the Kentucky Classic. He said the experience of the Classic was the best he ever had
Both organizations are great. Its all about the kids anyway, just an opportunity to play a little more football. congrats to all the kids that work hard enough or are talented enough to participate in off season competition.