Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Cumberland River
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Fished the Cumberland River today from Artemus to Thompson park caught a load of fish probably 30 to 40 most all fish was 12 to 14 inch Kentucky Bass loaded with eggs.We also caught a few Crappies and a couple Smallmouth. All fish was caught on small Rattle Traps and spinner Baits. Hope to get to go tomorrow.
Went for a couple hours after work this afternoon, fished off the bank down below some shoals. Caught 4 bass and 1 catfish over 10lbs on a broken back shad rap.
In about 3-4 weeks I am going to try to come down to Cumberland and fish. I have never fished it and have been wanting since I have heard the fishing is getting better and better.
i know, right? Wrote:In about 3-4 weeks I am going to try to come down to Cumberland and fish. I have never fished it and have been wanting since I have heard the fishing is getting better and better.

I fish the Cumberland River probably 40 or 50 miles upstream from Cumberland Lake. Where I fish when the river gets low in Mid summer we sometimes have to get out and carry the boats through the shoals or tie a rope on the boat and let it float through while we walk around. They are two ramps that we float from one ramp to the next using only a trolling motor and a push pole.where we take out is a concrete ramp at a campground almost right in Downtown Barbourville. Where we put in at is almost primitive but it is solid rock and you can back right to the water. We use 12 and 14ft flat bottom john boats. If you catch the water right the fishing is pretty good no big fish but a lot of fish. This river does not get a lot fishing pressure because there is a little bit work s involved. But i f you want to go let me know and I would be happy to go with you. I forgot to mention I went up to check the water out after the storm from the last two days this afternoon, the water was a little muddy and there was a Rattlesnake laying in the road that had been run over.
I like lake fishing, but there is nothing else like floating down the river in a flat bottom. If I can get a few days off of work I will let you know about a week in advance. When I float a river I look to catch a lot of fish. The size isn't that important. When I float the Big Sandy in Pike County, if you catch is perfect you can get catch 100 fish a boat in about 5 or 6 hours.
I have only fished Lake Cumberland a couple of times,, the first time we was night fishing and a wicked storm came sometime after midnight and it got foggy and the guy I was with was bragging about how well he knew the lake well when it got daylight we was still trying to find the dock.LOL
Fished Cumberland River yesterday catching a load of fish the best one was 16 inch Smallmouth on the second cast. Almost all fish were caught on small spinner baits and chatter baits. I ran in to two guys who was noodling, they had two catfish said they had been fishing for about 1 hour. I still don't think I could do it.
insideinfo Wrote:I ran in to two guys who was noodling, they had two catfish said they had been fishing for about 1 hour. I still don't think I could do it.

I agree there is just no way I could do that either!! Just could make myself stick my hand into a hole and not knowing what I'm sticking my hand into.