Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Corbin coaching search
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26
With Steve Jewell officially stepping down after 14 seasons to take the assistant principal position, who will the Redhounds hire? Will they keep it within or go for an outsider? Will they remain smashmouth or go to a more finesse style?

Greg Duncum
Mike Jackson
Dudley Hilton
Tommy Reid
Clark Teague
Mike Holcomb
Tom Larkey

These are just a few of the names tossed around when this story was in the rumor stages.
How about Scotty Russell or Justin Haddix, even Wayne Mills.
Has Randy Frazier already been contacted?
Hate to tell ya but Coach Larkey aint leaving Harlan County.
This is a very high profile job!
Corbin can't afford to make a mistake on this hire!
High profile job 20 years ago
They hire the right person, it will be back to the top!
The state titles may not be rolling in but Corbin certainly has to be one of the winningest programs since 2000. Just because that state trophy isn't there, it doesn't mean the trophy case is bare. Sure, it's not what we as Redhounds expect but district and region titles are still things to be plenty proud of. Guarantee any coach in the state would consider Corbin a high profile job and one that would be considered a "destination job" to the majority of coaches.

I know it is late in the off season but this may be a hire that is made sooner rather than later. Just like i stated in the beginning of this post, I think a lot of applications will roll in.
Dudley !!! I saw him with his realtor looking at houses over the weekend.
I say you go after Haddix or Frazier. Haddix would certainly pump some enthusiasm into that program. Kids would love him.

Frazier done a heck of a job at M-boro. Nothing against the older coaches, just think these guys bring a lot of energy.
I agree that the kids would love Haddix but I also think that a program like Corbin should and quite frankly needs to hire more of an established coach. Whether it's an assistant who's been there for the long hall or someone who has established themselves elsewhere. Haddix has certainly done his part to prove his worth, I just think that he needs to cut his teeth somewhere like he is currently doing before taking that next step. There's no doubt he'll be a fine and possibly elite coach down the road. Right now, I don't think Corbin can afford to gamble.
HAROLD Wrote:With Steve Jewell officially stepping down after 14 seasons to take the assistant principal position, who will the Redhounds hire? Will they keep it within or go for an outsider? Will they remain smashmouth or go to a more finesse style?

Greg Duncum
Mike Jackson
Dudley Hilton
Tommy Reid
Clark Teague
Mike Holcomb
Tom Larkey

These are just a few of the names tossed around when this story was in the rumor stages.

well if you don't want to take a chance there is only one choice
1. Mike Halcomb proven can bring in the gold
then you have
2. Dudley but I think the redhounds are tired of the old run,run
3. Jason Haddix the best offensive minded coach in the mountians, youthful,
energetic and kids would love him,if you watched the Border
Bowl you would know how diversified his offense is

people Jewell saved his self the embarrassment and took the right way out, since moving to 3A he was 21-14 and no district titles or regional titles, when the competition got tough he showed he wasn't that great of a coach. Farris must go to start a new direction and who ever the new coach is needs to show him the road or put him in a none supportive position.
Personally, with it being so late in the year, I think Corbin will be hard pressed to find one of these really established/big name guys, "older" guys.

Interested is one thing, actually taking the job is another.

One of the biggest hang ups come spring time? Putting your house up for sale and actually selling it in time..

I could be wrong, and obviously the above isn't always the case, but I just don't see any current head coaches at top programs leaving their schools this late in the game.
If he applies, Clark Teague would be a strong choice. Certainly worth an interview, I would think.
HAROLD Wrote:I agree that the kids would love Haddix but I also think that a program like Corbin should and quite frankly needs to hire more of an established coach. Whether it's an assistant who's been there for the long hall or someone who has established themselves elsewhere. Haddix has certainly done his part to prove his worth, I just think that he needs to cut his teeth somewhere like he is currently doing before taking that next step. There's no doubt he'll be a fine and possibly elite coach down the road. Right now, I don't think Corbin can afford to gamble.

Spoken like a true Corbinte , Hey Haddix cut his teeth in the state championship game when Breathitt beat corbin like 53-0, was very successful college career at Western 3 year starter at qb, Your choice of homeboys Duncan,Greer,Jackson, or Farris pick your poision,
Everyone must also think about this. The big names come with a big price tag. Corbin doesn't pay their coaches well. If a big name takes it they will certainly be taking a hit to their salary.
1/4bak Wrote:Spoken like a true Corbinte , Hey Haddix cut his teeth in the state championship game when Breathitt beat corbin like 53-0, was very successful college career at Western 3 year starter at qb, Your choice of homeboys Duncan,Greer,Jackson, or Farris pick your poision,

Haddix would be one of the better options, maybe the best, if he's interested. Any idea what he can teach? I think that may be a factor in this hire.
Haddix's career is nothing to shake a stick at. He had a great playing career but that doesn't mean a thing when it comes to coaching. I think he is a great football mind and has every bit of the potential to be a great coach. I just think that he still has a few years to go before he is ready to take over an established program like Corbin. It's not arrogance or whatever you were alluding to. I was simply stating my opinion and the facts.

Would he do well here? Who knows? Honestly, I'm inclined to think he probably would. I just think that this is similar to UK's situation when Cal was hired. Less so than UK in 2009, Corbin is not in a state of desperation but the program has been on a slippery slope in the wrong direction at times. I would think that Thom Smith and John Crawford would want to not take a gamble and go for a sure thing if at all possible.
HAROLD Wrote:Haddix's career is nothing to shake a stick at. He had a great playing career but that doesn't mean a thing when it comes to coaching. I think he is a great football mind and has every bit of the potential to be a great coach. I just think that he still has a few years to go before he is ready to take over an established program like Corbin. It's not arrogance or whatever you were alluding to. I was simply stating my opinion and the facts.

Would he do well here? Who knows? Honestly, I'm inclined to think he probably would. I just think that this is similar to UK's situation when Cal was hired. Less so than UK in 2009, Corbin is not in a state of desperation but the program has been on a slippery slope in the wrong direction at times. I would think that Thom Smith and John Crawford would want to not take a gamble and go for a sure thing if at all possible.

then it s simple Mike Halcomb is the first choice
Starting to sound like to me Corbin going homer....just sayin
I certainly do not envy Thom Smith or Johnny Crawford right now. They will have their work cut out for them when it comes to who they hire for this job. Just from talking to people at the game tonight, I can tell that Smith and Crawford are going to have people trying to pull them in 20 different directions. I just hope these two can make their choice without any of the BS on the side that coaching searches usually come with.
Dudley Hilton. No question Confusednicker:

If Corbin is smart, I see this being a 2 person race.
Forget the old guys, and forget the huge names that are never going to come.

For me, its Frazier or Jackson.

If Corbin makes the right choice, my kids will be going there.
I've got a friend who is friends a with Crawford. He says that as of now they are going for Scotty Russell.
I Rule The World Wrote:I say you go after Haddix or Frazier. Haddix would certainly pump some enthusiasm into that program. Kids would love him.

Frazier done a heck of a job at M-boro. Nothing against the older coaches, just think these guys bring a lot of energy.

Um I'm sure he doesn't look it, but Frazier is 50+ ... lol.
Clark Teague would be a great great hire. If I'm Corbin I am contacting him immediately!! Very good all around coach. In my opinion would bring Corbin back to greatness!!
Russell was at Corbin before as an asst. coach. What about any of the current asst. coaches, any of them showing intrest?
Full deck Wrote:Where does this Teague guy coach?

How many regions has Russell won? What is his playoff record?

Who is Jackson?

How about Wayne Mills at Bell Co.

1. Teague is an asst. coach at Somerset and use to be an asst. at Corbin, and is from the area.
2. No, I don't think Russell has won any regions, but he is a good coach and is also a former Corbin asst. coach
3. Jackson could either be; a) Brent Jackson, who has been over the middle school program at Corbin for several years or b) Michael Jackson, who is the Head Coach at Louisville Ballard, a former Corbin QB and the brother of Brent.
4. Mills would be a good choice.
Bear_Paw Wrote:Um I'm sure he doesn't look it, but Frazier is 50+ ... lol.

Frazier is in his 40's. My husband played with him in high school and they graduated in 83. Late 40's
If Corbin could get Haddix, they would be very very pleased. Believe me. Hardest working coach around and his players love him. The guy knows every dang aspect of the game and both sides of the ball. Young and full of energy. If I was Corbin, I'd offer him a house, car, and food. And then the football salary. He is that good. I'd say it wont be long before hes coaching College football. If you can win at Perry Central in football as much as he has, you are almost working miracles.
The_Rock Wrote:If Corbin could get Haddix, they would be very very pleased. Believe me. Hardest working coach around and his players love him. The guy knows every dang aspect of the game and both sides of the ball. Young and full of energy. If I was Corbin, I'd offer him a house, car, and food. And then the football salary. He is that good. I'd say it wont be long before hes coaching College football. If you can win at Perry Central in football as much as he has, you are almost working miracles.

I have to agree with THE ROCK, Haddix loves the game his wife is a doctor so it would not be all about the money, I though Whitley would go after him but then again it's WhitleyConfusednicker:
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26