Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Fishtrap Lake
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Has anyone fished this lake lately. With the ice thawing and the temps slowly rising has anyone had the oppourtunity to get out and fish?
Not been on it in a couple of years. Swore I would never go back after hitting a refrigerator running about 70. Dang near killed me. Stopped my boat on a dime, when I came too, I was hanging over trolling motor with legs in water and my lifejacket hung up on trolling motor. Thank God I had it on. I even had kill switch hooked up. I very rarely done that and decided to that day. Have ever since. It knocked me completely out (don't know how long) and I had a big knot on my head. Put a gouge in my gelcoat about 4" long but not very deep. The frig was just under water line. I thought it tore my lower unit off, but it stretched jack plate bolts. Dang!
I haven't been on it in 2 years either. I know that the lake houses some big fish but I hate to get my boat out and tear it all to hell. I had a similar expierence but I was fishing with a friend that day and we hit a log, the whole boat went air born and we ripped the lower unit off of his motor. Thank god he had full coverage insurance.
Crossbones Wrote:Not been on it in a couple of years. Swore I would never go back after hitting a refrigerator running about 70. Dang near killed me. Stopped my boat on a dime, when I came too, I was hanging over trolling motor with legs in water and my lifejacket hung up on trolling motor. Thank God I had it on. I even had kill switch hooked up. I very rarely done that and decided to that day. Have ever since. It knocked me completely out (don't know how long) and I had a big knot on my head. Put a gouge in my gelcoat about 4" long but not very deep. The frig was just under water line. I thought it tore my lower unit off, but it stretched jack plate bolts. Dang!

You sure you stretched those bolts or maybe they were loose for a different reason? I was piddling around with mine in the garage a couple years back and noticed the jack plate was loose. The bolts did tighten up but after a fishing trip on the way back home I looked back and noticed my motor bouncing even though I always use a transom saver. Pulling off the road and checking things out I saw that the bolts were loose again. :yikes:

After having limped on back, it turned out my transom was compromised due to water damage and I had to fix it. I would tighten the bolts but the bolt head was just compressing the wood in the transom.
TheRealThing Wrote:You sure you stretched those bolts or maybe they were loose for a different reason? I was piddling around with mine in the garage a couple years back and noticed the jack plate was loose. The bolts did tighten up but after a fishing trip on the way back home I looked back and noticed my motor bouncing even though I always use a transom saver. Pulling off the road and checking things out I saw that the bolts were loose again. :yikes:

After having limped on back, it turned out my transom was compromised due to water damage and I had to fix it. I would tighten the bolts but the bolt head was just compressing the wood in the transom.

The transom was solid. My buddy and I pulled motor and jackplate and checked transom. The two lower bolts bent, but not to much, but plate was loose. Replace to all new bolts and remounted everything. It was good to go. I have seen some where transom had water get in.
Crossbones Wrote:The transom was solid. My buddy and I pulled motor and jackplate and checked transom. The two lower bolts bent, but not to much, but plate was loose. Replace to all new bolts and remounted everything. It was good to go. I have seen some where transom had water get in.

Yeah, it can be a real problem. Lake water at the bolt level is under a little bit of pressure. So if it can get in around the bolts it will eventually fill any voids which may exist between the inner and outer hull fiberglass. A transom then becomes a prison that water cannot escape. Over the course of time that water will completely rot out a wood transom.