Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Paintsville Middle School
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Who knows anything about Paintsville Middle School this year? Who have they played? How are they doing? What kind of team do they have?
Decent team, played JCMS and got pounded by about 30. Things don't look to good for the future tiger program, as far as I see it. But... I'm a JC fan so what do I know. :rockon:
Paintsville MIddle School plays a combined group of 7th & 8th graders. It's about a 50/50 mix with about 20 PJHS total players this season. When we play JCMS 8th grade, it's the Same old Story. You should never be able to take a team of (10 ) 8th graders and (10) 7th graders and beat a team with 40, 8th graders.
In that particular game, JCMS had the best team, but they also got every break possible, go their way. They scored (2) td's on fumbled balls that bounced straight into the hands of a different player on their team, resulting in those td's.
One thing I thought rather odd, was that they elected to run their starting tailback for one last touchdown with 7 seconds on the clock for their final 30 point win.
Okay... when Chas Harmon was an 8th grader @ Paintsville, JCMS 8th, defeated Paintsville MS 55-0 and could have scored 80.... but when Chas Harmon's a senior, in the Apple Bowl, Paintsville won 40-22... so one can't really can't predict the future based on a middle school game.
Paintsville Middle has a good team. They have a nice QB, but lack receivers, and they have a couple of 7th grade RBs that are very talented. they have a good coach that works their tails off and to be honest.....this summer I watched them practice and thought they would be horrible. They have proven me wrong!
Also SnakE....a few years agowhen Pugh and co. were in middle school...games between Paintsville Middle and JCMS were barn burners...now, thee isn't much to compare.
IISnakE Wrote:so one really can't predict the future based on a middle school game.
i would have to agree with you on this:thumpsup:....middle school ball and high school ball is two totally different things
eaglehoops Wrote:Decent team, played JCMS and got pounded by about 30. Things don't look to good for the future tiger program, as far as I see it. But... I'm a JC fan so what do I know. :rockon:

Snake makes some very good points. Also didn't Perry Co beat JCMS the other night by 2? Perry Co. also beat PMS but it was on a long pass with 0:37 sec left on the clock. Very close game on both sides of the ball. If those fumbles don't jump into JCMS's arms, It's a much closer game. I know IF, IF, IF. But that is just the breaks of the game. Could go the other way next time they play. Also on Paintsville's starting team I believe they 2 maybe 3 hold backs. Their average age is just over 13. JCMS's entire backfield are hold backs and also so are the majority of the line. So they were playing what should really be a Freshman team. Iwas also told by PMS Coach that he has 6 kids on his team, that this is the first year that they have ever played football and EVERY kid on his team played the other night. I wander if all the JCMS kids got to play the other night? Don't sound like it if the starting back scores another TD with just a few seconds left and a 3 touch down lead. BUT, what do I know? Good Luck to both on the rest of the season and I am sure that both will be GOOD teams in their respected Classes when they get older. :Thumbs:
IISnakE Wrote:Paintsville MIddle School plays a combined group of 7th & 8th graders. It's about a 50/50 mix with about 20 PJHS total players this season. When we play JCMS 8th grade, it's the Same old Story. You should never be able to take a team of (10 ) 8th graders and (10) 7th graders and beat a team with 40, 8th graders.
In that particular game, JCMS had the best team, but they also got every break possible, go their way. They scored (2) td's on fumbled balls that bounced straight into the hands of a different player on their team, resulting in those td's.
One thing I thought rather odd, was that they elected to run their starting tailback for one last touchdown with 7 seconds on the clock for their final 30 point win.
Okay... when Chas Harmon was an 8th grader @ Paintsville, JCMS 8th, defeated Paintsville MS 55-0 and could have scored 80.... but when Chas Harmon's a senior, in the Apple Bowl, Paintsville won 40-22... so one can't really can't predict the future based on a middle school game.
You also have to take into consideration that there were always many transfers crossing the creek, now you have none. That will be huge in determining whatever success that each respective program has in the future.
rooster Wrote:You also have to take into consideration that there were always many transfers crossing the creek, now you have none. That will be huge in determining whatever success that each respective program has in the future.
I am so sick of hearing about the huge amount of creek-crossers!!!
Does anyone out there think that kids from Paintsville have not crossed the creek??? PHS always suits up about the same amount of players year in and year out! Last year there were 33 with about 14 being seniors. This year there are 29 with about 7 seniors.
The truth is......JC finally got a Coach that was GOOD!!!
Now they show and play to their potential!!!
JCHS is very good, but it will live and die with one coach!!
The Guru Wrote:I am so sick of hearing about the huge amount of creek-crossers!!!
Does anyone out there think that kids from Paintsville have not crossed the creek??? PHS always suits up about the same amount of players year in and year out! Last year there were 33 with about 14 being seniors. This year there are 29 with about 7 seniors.
The truth is......JC finally got a Coach that was GOOD!!!
Now they show and play to their potential!!!
JCHS is very good, but it will live and die with one coach!!
Name some that have transferred to JC over the years. I have a hard time trying to think of the first one.

How many graduated from last years squad that had previously played in the county or attended the county schools at one time? I can think of a whole bunch of them.Possibly as much as half of last years graduating class.

Wasn't trying to get anything started Guru, but I dont know how you can deny it. You even have a few on this years team that crossed over before Matney arrived, but I will say that I thought the Bill Musick was pretty good too.

What does "live and die with one coach" exactly mean?
IISnakE Wrote:Paintsville MIddle School plays a combined group of 7th & 8th graders. It's about a 50/50 mix with about 20 PJHS total players this season. When we play JCMS 8th grade, it's the Same old Story. You should never be able to take a team of (10 ) 8th graders and (10) 7th graders and beat a team with 40, 8th graders.

Remember...all have to be kept happy at that school...regardless of what the score is.
Gatortater Wrote:One thing I thought rather odd, was that they elected to run their starting tailback for one last touchdown with 7 seconds on the clock for their final 30 point win.

Remember...all have to be kept happy at that school...regardless of what the score is.
What happened last year when Paintsville Middle played JCMS's 7th grade team? :dontthink Let's not have selective memory loss.
rooster Wrote:Name some that have transferred to JC over the years. I have a hard time trying to think of the first one.

How many graduated from last years squad that had previously played in the county or attended the county schools at one time? I can think of a whole bunch of them.Possibly as much as half of last years graduating class.

Wasn't trying to get anything started Guru, but I dont know how you can deny it. You even have a few on this years team that crossed over before Matney arrived, but I will say that I thought the Bill Musick was pretty good too.

What does "live and die with one coach" exactly mean?

How far back do you want to go? It wasn't that many years ago when 2/3s of JC's starting backfield crossed over from Paintsville.

I dunno.....how many?
Don't worry....no body has their dander up!:Thumbs: Also....I have not denied anything. But you are.

Befor Matney, JC had all the potential in the world.....just never did anything. With Matney...JC plays like they should have all along, and I would put $$ on that if Matney left after this season, JC would be right back to where there were!
The Guru Wrote:How far back do you want to go? It wasn't that many years ago when 2/3s of JC's starting backfield crossed over from Paintsville.

I dunno.....how many?
Don't worry....no body has their dander up!:Thumbs: Also....I have not denied anything. But you are.

Befor Matney, JC had all the potential in the world.....just never did anything. With Matney...JC plays like they should have all along, and I would put $$ on that if Matney left after this season, JC would be right back to where there were!
Who would that 2/3rds have been and when?

There was a bunch, and add a few to the list that just haven't graduated yet.

What have I denied? Please enlighten me on what denial could be. You are the one that got a little bent out of shape when all I said was that the current lack of transfers or the lack of transfers in the near future would have a direct effect on the future success of each respective program. That's all I said, and I encourage you to go back and reread it, and I think that that is a very accurate statement. I think it will help JC and deny Paintsville of some quality players. Can you see what I am saying? I wasn't trying to be fecitious at all. I think that was the total context of my statement. Nothing more. Nothing less. Kind of silly in my opinion to get all defensive over a comment in as meaningless as it was or was intended to be.

Who knows how long Matney will be around, but in the last 3 years Johnson Central has only had one football coach. I think that in the same period of time that Paintsville is at 3 (4 if you count Chuke) and counting.

Also before Matney except for one disasterous year under Humphrey and two years under a very good , (but very ill) Coach Ross, Johnson Central had a very good and a very successful coach by the name of Bill Musick that stayed around for several years .

And if you dont care, please elaborate what direction that Paintsville is headed in after David LeMaster since you have the ability to foresee things that will happen with or without certain coaching personel in place?

Geez, my comment was certainly nothing to get into an arguement over.
Who is number 44 on the Tiger's team?
rooster Wrote:You also have to take into consideration that there were always many transfers crossing the creek, now you have none. That will be huge in determining whatever success that each respective program has in the future.

Name ONE player from Chas' Senior year that crossed over from JC.
Same goes for the year after that. Yeah Hans and Wes got to play a little bit, but they weren't a factor.
The Guru Wrote:How far back do you want to go? It wasn't that many years ago when 2/3s of JC's starting backfield crossed over from Paintsville.

I dunno.....how many?

I'm curius how long ago it was when 2/3's of Johnson Central's backfield consisted of players that crossed over from Paintsville. Twenty years plus?
Golden Eagle Wrote:I'm curius how long ago it was when 2/3's of Johnson Central's backfield consisted of players that crossed over from Paintsville. Twenty years plus?

I'm guessing that's why he said "How far back do you want to go?" There have been a couple, Mike Doderer for one, Shannon Price.
rooster Wrote:Who would that 2/3rds have been and when?

There was a bunch, and add a few to the list that just haven't graduated yet.

What have I denied? Please enlighten me on what denial could be. You are the one that got a little bent out of shape when all I said was that the current lack of transfers or the lack of transfers in the near future would have a direct effect on the future success of each respective program. That's all I said, and I encourage you to go back and reread it, and I think that that is a very accurate statement. I think it will help JC and deny Paintsville of some quality players. Can you see what I am saying? I wasn't trying to be fecitious at all. I think that was the total context of my statement. Nothing more. Nothing less. Kind of silly in my opinion to get all defensive over a comment in as meaningless as it was or was intended to be.

Who knows how long Matney will be around, but in the last 3 years Johnson Central has only had one football coach. I think that in the same period of time that Paintsville is at 3 (4 if you count Chuke) and counting.

Also before Matney except for one disasterous year under Humphrey and two years under a very good , (but very ill) Coach Ross, Johnson Central had a very good and a very successful coach by the name of Bill Musick that stayed around for several years .

And if you dont care, please elaborate what direction that Paintsville is headed in after David LeMaster since you have the ability to foresee things that will happen with or without certain coaching personel in place?

Geez, my comment was certainly nothing to get into an arguement over.

Outstanding post Rooster I agree with you 100%. No matter what they say they know and every one else knows that you've hit the nail on the head.
PC_U_KNOW_98 Wrote:I'm guessing that's why he said "How far back do you want to go?" There have been a couple, Mike Doderer for one, Shannon Price.
Shannon Price was in the late 90's and I don't know about Mike Doderer. I know they didn't play on the same team. So that's not 2/3's. That's a grand total of two.
PC_U_KNOW_98 Wrote:Same goes for the year after that. Yeah Hans and Wes got to play a little bit, but they weren't a factor.

In your opinion what would the last two years have been like with out the players that transferred in from the county?
rooster Wrote:And if you dont care, please elaborate what direction that Paintsville is headed in after David LeMaster

It wouldn't matter if Coach LeMaster was still the head coach, Paintsville would still be heading in the direction they are, and to be honest, Paintsville wouldn't have had the success they did last year had Coach Runyon not been running things.
PC_U_KNOW_98 Wrote:It wouldn't matter if Coach LeMaster was still the head coach, Paintsville would still be heading in the direction they are, and to be honest, Paintsville wouldn't have had the success they did last year had Coach Runyon not been running things.
And which direction is that in?

Paintsville would not have had the success they had last year if they had not have had the players they had, period.
Who cares about all this creek-crossing mess? The truth or the matter is IF a kid wants to go to a program on the rise, and he or she is a good athlete with potential to play sports in the NCAA they need to go to JC. JC has the best coaches in every sport in east KY IMO. Starns in boys b-ball, Matney in football, Wireman in girls b-ball, meek in swimming, gambel/matney in wrestling, hall in baseball, mccool in softball/volleyball, and their soccer programs are def. on the rise. When you look at Paintsville they don't get much attention. Sure they have a great boys b-ball coach. But when is the last time he won a region title? Not putting him down, but I really don't know. Baldwin is a decent coach in girls ball but he will never compete for a regional title. Most tiger fans don't even like their own baseball coach, their football coach is new so I don't know about him just yet, softball and volleyball are always bringing in the rear in the region, no wrestling or swimming. If I had a kid he/she would def. play at JC, not just because I am a fan but because they care about success on both the boys and girls level. And until Paintsville does the same they won't compete. They may get some transfers but in my opinion they are ones that wouldn't have been a major factor at JC. However, JC will get crossovers because they feel they have talent and want to win and play at the next level. They may win every once in a while but not a lot. I root for both teams, I root for the kids. But these are plain facts. JC has a better athletic program all together than Paintsville!
Golden Eagle Wrote:In your opinion what would the last two years have been like with out the players that transferred in from the county?

Hans, Wes, and Matt Blevins, those are the players you are talking about. To be honest, they wouldn't have helped much. They weren't worth a dime when they first came to Paintsville. Infact, had all the boys that played with us all thru elem. and middle school would have played, none of the "JC" boys would have even got to play their freshman year. Had it not have been for Chuke bringing Micheal Copley in with his intense, manditory weight training, the three you speak of wouldn't have been as good as they turned out. You ask how would Paintsville have done without them, about the same. Shane Cantrell could have had just as many yards as Hans did with the blocking of last years offensive line and Subby could have did everything Wes did at the FB position. It would have hurt on defense a little, but not on offense.
eaglehoops Wrote:Who cares about all this creek-crossing mess? The truth or the matter is IF a kid wants to go to a program on the rise, and he or she is a good athlete with potential to play sports in the NCAA they need to go to JC. JC has the best coaches in every sport in east KY IMO. Starns in boys b-ball, Matney in football, Wireman in girls b-ball, meek in swimming, gambel/matney in wrestling, hall in baseball, mccool in softball/volleyball, and their soccer programs are def. on the rise. When you look at Paintsville they don't get much attention. Sure they have a great boys b-ball coach. But when is the last time he won a region title? Not putting him down, but I really don't know. Baldwin is a decent coach in girls ball but he will never compete for a regional title. Most tiger fans don't even like their own baseball coach, their football coach is new so I don't know about him just yet, softball and volleyball are always bringing in the rear in the region, no wrestling or swimming. If I had a kid he/she would def. play at JC, not just because I am a fan but because they care about success on both the boys and girls level. And until Paintsville does the same they won't compete. They may get some transfers but in my opinion they are ones that wouldn't have been a major factor at JC. However, JC will get crossovers because they feel they have talent and want to win and play at the next level. They may win every once in a while but not a lot. I root for both teams, I root for the kids. But these are plain facts. JC has a better athletic program all together than Paintsville!
They have some good coaches but I'm not sold on the best in Eastern Ky notion. That's a very bold statement because there some dandies out there.
rooster Wrote:And which direction is that in?

Paintsville would not have had the success they had last year if they had not have had the players they had, period.

They had 3 JC boys, WOW. Like I just said to Golden Eagle, it wouldn't have mattered one bit on offense, defense is a different story, but not much difference. I recall a coach at JC telling Wes and Hans before they came to Paintsville that they weren't good enough to play at JC.
I feel pretty confident in saying they have the best. Look at their past success. Reigning Boys regional champs. Wireman has 299 wins, 6 regional, and 13 district titles in 14 years, wrestling has a great tradition and the addition of matney makes them even better. Football has FINALLY gotten to the point they need to be, swimming is always a contender, volleybally went from last to runner up in what seems to be overnight also 2 consecutive district titles. Softball has won about 10 of 11 district titles, Baseball always contentds in the best district in the state IMO. Name better numbers from around. Success breeds success. And JC is a stud! They may not have the best but they are pretty darn good!
PC_U_KNOW_98 Wrote:They had 3 JC boys, WOW. Like I just said to Golden Eagle, it wouldn't have mattered one bit on offense, defense is a different story, but not much difference. I recall a coach at JC telling Wes and Hans before they came to Paintsville that they weren't good enough to play at JC.
I wasn't just talking about the transfer kids, I was referring to the whole team having a bunch of good players. I believe Adam Cummings also went to Oil Springs in elementary school as well.

Again what direction do you personaly see things going in?
Pages: 1 2 3