Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Off season
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
It was a great year I hate that it's over now. Congrats to all the state champs and runner ups on a great season!.. Now that the season is over what kind of off season work outs do most programs do if any at all?
Meece will start working out again in January with both weights and skill work. The 8th graders are as motivated as ever and will be lifting again immediately on there own.
We do voluntary winter workouts, in the spring we start flag football (which is great practice for all the 7 on 7 tournaments). Our skill guys run track, play basketball. The linemen will do footwork drills and work on overall strength and explosiveness (boxes, dot mats, squats and weights)

Our kids are eager and the ones not on all star teams are already getting their workouts planned.

What's your favorite winter workout for each position?
I would love to know about different schools off season programs. Does anyone workout during the summer past 7 on 7? Are players lifting weights? What lifts? How many times a week? Where are the players lifting?
We participate in flag football then 7on7. The kids the get a little time off before we start conditioning for regular season., mostly we do body weight exercises and lots of cardiovascular stuff.

Weight training only happens with our 8th graders and then it's only a select few who can handle the responsibility of weight training.
What kind of weight lifting program do most teams use is it light weights teaching proper lifting technics or is it progression lifting maxing out every couple weeks
We are not allowed to have any team activities till July.
We have never used weights. We have done body exercises, FSU/GA Matt drills, and we have a speed box though we haven't been able to get our kids on it as much as I would like. A hand full of our 7th going to 8th will light at the HS

I know there are some strength programs that have readiness programs (Bigger, Faster, Stronger has it) which I have been pretty interested in.

I think speed and quickness straining MS kid get benefits from. Weight and strength training I'm not completely sold on. The kids need to be lifting a certain amount of times (3-4 times a week) without long breaks and it depends on if those hormones have kicked in yet. that doesn't even get into kids eating the way they need to. Now don't get me wrong. I've seen some of these MS kids that are ripped but I would venture hormones kicked in and that they workout some where away from school
For our 8th graders going into their freshman year they can begin weight training with the high school after the first of the year. I began showing my son weight lifting techniques with light weights or only the bar for the last year so he is ready when the time comes. He has done a lot of speed, agility, exercises and cardio in past off seasons to be ready to play when the season began. Also big on position/technique training in the off season. As a 13 yr old he did not need too much more than that.
We use not to do anything till July but when they offered flag football here it was a good boost to train our skill guys on our offense. He gets our younger kids and new kids into our system faster.

We had a bow flex donated last year. I built our team a push sled (google ram sled for pictures) and we have huge tractor tires to work....
I know about the ram sleds. They use them at UK. Even the basketball teams does I believe.
Yea they do, thTs where I got the design. It works great to build power in their legs. Mine is a little bigger and weighs more but you get 5 kids on it and it works them hard...legs tur. To jello