Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Meece Middle Disqualified From KYMSFA Playoffs
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Thought you all may be interested in the local write-up in the Commonwealth Journal.

http://somerset-kentucky.com/local/x7031...m-playoffs
The article fails to mention that the player had already been suspended during the REGULAR season when it was found out that he was a few days too old. He didn't play one snap in the playoffs and Meece was already the lowest seed in Region 2. IMO this was handled very poorly. Made the kids suffer for an adults action!
"Bass explained that this is the first time a middle school football team has been disqualified from the playoffs or had to forfeit their games since the inception of the KMSFA, which was formed in 2007."

Wasn't their an issue a few years ago with a new harlan using a scratched official who happened to have family on the team? If I remember correctly new harlan was informed that if the official was used they would have to forfeit no matter the result of the game. I think they won like 38-0 against Leslie but they were forced to forfeit and Leslie declined to continue their season after the loss.
I find it hard to believe this is the only instance this year where there was an in eligible player. I know for a fact a school who was bragging about abusing the system until the KHSAA takes over. Schools that continue to hold people back to make their middle school teams unbeatable will be in for a rude awakening. Those who hinge all of their life dreams on middle school football will be greatly disappointed. Just one mans opinion.
jumper1 Wrote:The article fails to mention that the player had already been suspended during the REGULAR season when it was found out that he was a few days too old. He didn't play one snap in the playoffs and Meece was already the lowest seed in Region 2. IMO this was handled very poorly. Made the kids suffer for an adults action!

Your coach filled out an official team roster with birthdays PRIOR to the season. Those birthdays were within regulation. However, the birth certificates required prior the the KMSFA playoffs showed different dates, rule-breaking dates. Same player, two different birthdays. Did I misunderstand that?
Wildcat18 Wrote:Your coach filled out an official team roster with birthdays PRIOR to the season. Those birthdays were within regulation. However, the birth certificates required prior the the KMSFA playoffs showed different dates, rule-breaking dates. Same player, two different birthdays. Did I misunderstand that?

Dang your in the know, must be an insider. So instead of sanctioning the responsible party lets screw the kids as there loading the bus. The kids playing in the tournament earned there way there, not a player that was a few days to old. If we were not the lowest seed already or if the player played in a tournament game then I would absolutely not have a problem with being DQ because we would've gained some sort of advantage. But this isn't the case. Whoever is guilty should be punished by the KYMSFA and by the Somerset Independent Schools but like most other things let's punish the children for an adults mistake.
jumper1 Wrote:Dang your in the know, must be an insider. So instead of sanctioning the responsible party lets screw the kids as there loading the bus. The kids playing in the tournament earned there way there, not a player that was a few days to old. If we were not the lowest seed already or if the player played in a tournament game then I would absolutely not have a problem with being DQ because we would've gained some sort of advantage. But this isn't the case. Whoever is guilty should be punished by the KYMSFA and by the Somerset Independent Schools but like most other things let's punish the children for an adults mistake.

I'm assuming you didn't read the article I originally posted. I'll let you read that and feel free to post again. I'm not in "the know" but I'm guessing that when board member Coach Bass (when quoted in the newspaper piece) is, it's good to listen. When it comes to rules, there is black and white, and there is that grey area. That grey area is risky. Let's face it, your coach lives in that grey area as most do. I'm not saying it's a bad thing and sometimes its beneficial, but don't get caught. It occurred a few weeks ago with a player transfer and it occurred this last weekend with the team paperwork. One Meece got by with and one they didn't. If I'm not mistaken, you were lobbying for Meece on both topics. Don't let your love for the school blind you by what is right and wrong.
The McCreary County kid wasn't in any grey area per middle school rules. As for this incident I'm in no way defending our coach. Someone dropped the ball and it should be dealt with. My opinion is it was dealt with poorly from the KYMSFA. The article doesn't mention that the player was already suspended before playoffs and that Bass called SHS AD Bob Tucker on Wednesday telling him that Messamore was to be suspended for the rest of the season and fined $250. AD specifically asked him if anything else needed to be done on behalf of Somerset...ie..getting Super or Meece principal involved and the answer was NO. The team met Wednesday and proper preparations were made. Well here came Friday and BAM....DQ! I agree rules are black and white but punishment isn't. I strongly disagree with how it was handled for the children. Bus was there, pep rally and over $2,000 worth of reservations to spend the night. Once again children punished for adult mistake.
Birth certificates are not required to be shown prior to playing.
I totally agree with jumper 1 that the kids paid the price for this mistake! Any coach will always try to get a upper hand within boundaries. the coach is the one that should've been held accountable! its sad when the kids put forth there effort ,time plus all the parents out all there time an money! people make mistakes everyday. that is how we learn in life
Region12 Wrote:I totally agree with jumper 1 that the kids paid the price for this mistake! Any coach will always try to get a upper hand within boundaries. the coach is the one that should've been held accountable! its sad when the kids put forth there effort ,time plus all the parents out all there time an money! people make mistakes everyday. that is how we learn in life

Thanks for the support :Thumbs:. Our boys need it at this moment, my son is still having a hard time grasping what has happened.
jumper1 Wrote:The McCreary County kid wasn't in any grey area per middle school rules. As for this incident I'm in no way defending our coach. Someone dropped the ball and it should be dealt with. My opinion is it was dealt with poorly from the KYMSFA. The article doesn't mention that the player was already suspended before playoffs and that Bass called SHS AD Bob Tucker on Wednesday telling him that Messamore was to be suspended for the rest of the season and fined $250. AD specifically asked him if anything else needed to be done on behalf of Somerset...ie..getting Super or Meece principal involved and the answer was NO. The team met Wednesday and proper preparations were made. Well here came Friday and BAM....DQ! I agree rules are black and white but punishment isn't. I strongly disagree with how it was handled for the children. Bus was there, pep rally and over $2,000 worth of reservations to spend the night. Once again children punished for adult mistake.

Agree. That's pretty bush league IMO.
This is an interesting situation and there are a lot of unanswered questions. There was definitely a mistake made on a document turned in by Meece. Was this an attempt by a parent to deceive the coaching staff or was this an attempt by a coach to deceive KMSFA? Was it neither? When Meece found out about the player in question they took action and did not allow him to play anymore. Why did they not notify KMSFA or did they? Why did KMSFA change their mind after their initial recommendation? If KMSFA found out on Wednesday why did they make a decision on Friday after school was almost out? You would think with the importance of the decision made by KMSFA it should have been decided before that time. Was the KMSFA's timing based on them knowing the appeal could possibly be overturned by a judge and waiting until Friday afternoon made that less likely?
For the record I think KMSFA has done a great job of organizing middle school football. Did they make a good decision here? I don't know. A mistake was made that required some action. We will find out more in time. Was this done in the correct manor by KMSFA? I don't think so. Was there wrong doing by Meece whether by accident or intentional? There was definitely a mistake made and I'm sure the correct actions will be taken by the school administration whether that be improvement in policy or ,if intentional, disciplinary action. Again, we will know more in time. Who was hurt in this? We all know that answer.
The way i understand it, this kid wont be able to play his senior year of high school either.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:The way i understand it, this kid wont be able to play his senior year of high school either.
That's the way I am interpreting it too. Not a good decision by the parents unless there was an extreme academic situation.
SWHS future Wrote:This is an interesting situation and there are a lot of unanswered questions. There was definitely a mistake made on a document turned in by Meece. Was this an attempt by a parent to deceive the coaching staff or was this an attempt by a coach to deceive KMSFA? Was it neither? When Meece found out about the player in question they took action and did not allow him to play anymore. Why did they not notify KMSFA or did they? Why did KMSFA change their mind after their initial recommendation? If KMSFA found out on Wednesday why did they make a decision on Friday after school was almost out? You would think with the importance of the decision made by KMSFA it should have been decided before that time. Was the KMSFA's timing based on them knowing the appeal could possibly be overturned by a judge and waiting until Friday afternoon made that less likely?
For the record I think KMSFA has done a great job of organizing middle school football. Did they make a good decision here? I don't know. A mistake was made that required some action. We will find out more in time. Was this done in the correct manor by KMSFA? I don't think so. Was there wrong doing by Meece whether by accident or intentional? There was definitely a mistake made and I'm sure the correct actions will be taken by the school administration whether that be improvement in policy or ,if intentional, disciplinary action. Again, we will know more in time. Who was hurt in this? We all know that answer.

Is it true that Campbellsville was notified on Thursday to suit up for Saturday? If so, why was Meece not informed at the same time?
if you break the rules there are consequences, that should be the message to the players. Making excuses is telling them that bad behavior is acceptable.
Shondue Wrote:Is it true that Campbellsville was notified on Thursday to suit up for Saturday? If so, why was Meece not informed at the same time?

Very interesting if true? Confusedhh:
SWHS future Wrote:That's the way I am interpreting it too. Not a good decision by the parents unless there was an extreme academic situation.

It is my understanding that it was an academic situation.
jumper1 Wrote:Very interesting if true? Confusedhh:

It is not true.

Campbellville was notified Friday. This came directly from the Campbellville coach.
Bluegrasscard Wrote:It is not true.

Campbellville was notified Friday. This came directly from the Campbellville coach.

Thanks for the information.
I was also told that campellsville was told on friday afternoon also and had to reissue pads and have a quick practice fri evening
ky playmaker Wrote:I was also told that campellsville was told on friday afternoon also and had to reissue pads and have a quick practice fri evening
I couldn't imagine them being told on Thursday. I'm sure it would've been on Friday. I just think it was handle completely wrong with me knowing most if not all of the facts.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:The way i understand it, this kid wont be able to play his senior year of high school either.

The rules for the KMSFA are set up that way. In other words the only way a kid is too old to play in MS is if he would be too old to play his Sr year.
What was Meece's record this year? How many games did the kid in question play in?
Wow
A couple seasons back Johnson Co. had two kids that lead their 7th grade team to the finals coming up short vs. Northern Pulaski. Two of their players were not on the 8th grade roster the following season, I think one moved to West Virginia and the other as far as I know hasn't played since. If there is a rule stating you cant be over 15 before the season begins, as a 8th grader, what is the rule concerning 7th graders?
Both looked very mature, one having a full beard and was probably 6'0 230 and a RB.
8th grade-can't be 15 before August 1 of that year
7th grade- can't be 14 before August 1 of that year
6th grade- can't be 13 before August 1 of that year
This question is for Coach Lockwood as I know you are involved with the KYMSFA. Do member teams that intend to play in the tournament have to abide be these age limitations during the season or just the playoffs? Thanks for your response.
shs74 Wrote:This question is for Coach Lockwood as I know you are involved with the KYMSFA. Do member teams that intend to play in the tournament have to abide be these age limitations during the season or just the playoffs? Thanks for your response.

The whole season. Before the season you fill out a roster with the ages and it is signed off on by the AD or principal and I think the HC. When you sign up for the KMSFA you agree to certain things for the whole season and age is one of them.
Pages: 1 2