Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Johnson Central vs Knox final
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
JC 32 Knox 14
Congrats
WOW!!! JC is "FOR REAL"!!!!!!:notworthy:notworthy:notworthy
Ok, I'm going to open this up for discussion. How many kids from JC that are in grades 7-12 have actually been held back during their school yrs. Let me say this before anyone bashes me. I do not have a favorite team even in the mix. Just curious as to what everyone in eastern ky has been saying about JC. So I am not making excuses or "whining, crying" about losing. I actually don't see a problem with it, but only if the kid is going to be 13 as a freshman. So with that being said, what are the facts. If it is a high number I am sure you all would agree that a kid that would have been in college got extra yrs. in middle or grade school. Especially if you have several. Can't you at least see what people would think about being a huge advantage. I realize the KHSAA says as long as they do not turn 19 prior their senior year, they are legal. But my question is if you have several, it could be a huge advantage for the team. Facts and numbers please. Thanks and good luck with a great season.
armyfootball#1 Wrote:Ok, I'm going to open this up for discussion. How many kids from JC that are in grades 7-12 have actually been held back during their school yrs. Let me say this before anyone bashes me. I do not have a favorite team even in the mix. Just curious as to what everyone in eastern ky has been saying about JC. So I am not making excuses or "whining, crying" about losing. I actually don't see a problem with it, but only if the kid is going to be 13 as a freshman. So with that being said, what are the facts. If it is a high number I am sure you all would agree that a kid that would have been in college got extra yrs. in middle or grade school. Especially if you have several. Can't you at least see what people would think about being a huge advantage. I realize the KHSAA says as long as they do not turn 19 prior their senior year, they are legal. But my question is if you have several, it could be a huge advantage for the team. Facts and numbers please. Thanks and good luck with a great season.

:lame:Same thing every year. Just take whatever team is winning that year and insert them into the holdback whine, I mean holdback "discussion". Just a point of reference, but if you have to repeatedly point out in your post that you are not "whining and crying", you probably are. The only "numbers" that matter are 19 as a senior, 15 as an 8th grader and 14 as a 7th grader. There is no advantage because the entire state has the same rules governing them. If a particular district or school system wants to imposed more rigid standards, that is certianly thier right, but don't complain when others don't.
Iynalot Wrote::lame:Same thing every year. Just take whatever team is winning that year and insert them into the holdback whine, I mean holdback "discussion". Just a point of reference, but if you have to repeatedly point out in your post that you are not "whining and crying", you probably are. The only "numbers" that matter are 19 as a senior, 15 as an 8th grader and 14 as a 7th grader. There is no advantage because the entire state has the same rules governing them. If a particular district or school system wants to imposed more rigid standards, that is certianly thier right, but don't complain when others don't.

Well I see that you are not educated enough to answer my question. If you can't see that it is a huge advantage for say 15 yr. olds in 8th grade to play against 13 yr. olds, then you my friend are seriously misled. Read what I said. If you hold back a kid that would be 13 as a freshman, I see no problem. Just my opinion. But to have a large number of kids that are all held back at once you have to admit it gives that team a huge advantage. Can we at least agree with that statement? Same holds true when you have a large number of 18/19 yr. olds that were held back playing against 16-17 yr olds.
It is a big advantage that's why almost everyone does it. If you want your team or player to compete unless they are a great athlete you almost have to hold them back.
While just from a personal standpoint I would like to see the age limit made a little more restrictive, (you can be just a couple months shy of your 20th birthday and playing in the state high school baseball tournament!), I don't have a problem with teams that have hold backs. Nobody is breaking the rules that exist. Very, very few successful athletic programs in the state are stocked with kids that are going to graduate at 17 or just a little past 18. I hate hearing anyone bring it up, because it is legal!
armyfootball#1 Wrote:Ok, I'm going to open this up for discussion. How many kids from JC that are in grades 7-12 have actually been held back during their school yrs. Let me say this before anyone bashes me. I do not have a favorite team even in the mix. Just curious as to what everyone in eastern ky has been saying about JC. So I am not making excuses or "whining, crying" about losing. I actually don't see a problem with it, but only if the kid is going to be 13 as a freshman. So with that being said, what are the facts. If it is a high number I am sure you all would agree that a kid that would have been in college got extra yrs. in middle or grade school. Especially if you have several. Can't you at least see what people would think about being a huge advantage. I realize the KHSAA says as long as they do not turn 19 prior their senior year, they are legal. But my question is if you have several, it could be a huge advantage for the team. Facts and numbers please. Thanks and good luck with a great season.
what does it matter they are all legal by Khsaa rules and that is all that matters so why bring the subject up.
It was Northern and Southern for the past 2 or 3 years. Now this year it'll be Johnson County, Belfry, and Corbin (7th). It's not uncommon. Whoever is winning will get the holdback treatment on these message boards.
The part of this situation that is rediculous is that a parent would allow their child to be held back simply because of football, to give their MIDDLE school team an advantage at winning. Let's go ahead and hurt our child's education and hold him/her back because we all know winning a middle school championship is much more important...
Kyfootball23 Wrote:The part of this situation that is rediculous is that a parent would allow their child to be held back simply because of football, to give their MIDDLE school team an advantage at winning. Let's go ahead and hurt our child's education and hold him/her back because we all know winning a middle school championship is much more important...

I have girls one that is out of college and one that is a sophomore in college which I held back. My main reason for holding her back was I thought she was little immature and to get a little space between her and her sister in college.for financial reasons. My oldest one was in her junior year before she decided on a major so she had taken a bunch of classes she did not need and ended up going a extra year to graduate. My youngest daughter knew going in what she wanted to do and she should be able to start graduate school after her third year if all her classes work out just right. By holding her back I thank really helped her maturity wise.By the way both both girls were pretty good athletes and I got to enjoy a extra season that I always will remember so if anyone is not sure about what to do I would recommend holding kids back to anyone.
:Thumbs: I personally don't see anything wrong with holding kids back, they graduate too young the age they are being sent to school to begin with anyway. There are a LOT of them that need that extra year to be more mature going in to College. If the powers that be don't have a problem with kids that stay back playing middle school or high school football, and the rules spell out the ages, it's not our place to question it!
N. Pulaski's coach told me himself that kids get held back all the time there just for football
All of the teams that are competitive anymore have hold backs playing, it's not just one team. :eyeroll:
Kyfootball23 Wrote:The part of this situation that is rediculous is that a parent would allow their child to be held back simply because of football, to give their MIDDLE school team an advantage at winning. Let's go ahead and hurt our child's education and hold him/her back because we all know winning a middle school championship is much more important...
Ok, maybe if your parents had held you back you would know how to spell ridiculous. Please explain to me how holding back a kid(which gives him/her an extra year of education) hurts their education? If you will get over the hurt of losing a middle school football game and think about it objectively maybe it will sink in.
This is only on a middle school board. Some guy tried to do it on the high school board and posters ripped him.

It's like saying "the rules say you can pass the ball, but you may be too good doing that so don't cause we don't like it."
I will make only one post on this subject. Johnson County Middle has 37 kids on their 8th grade team and 27 kids on their 7th grade team. Yes, they have two teams. Only kids enrolled in the 8th grade are on the 8th grade team and only kids enrolled in the 7th grade are on the 7th grade team. No 7th graders play up on the 8th grade team. That is why we have success. We keep a lot of kids involved. Also, our 7th grade team is not afraid to play 8th grade teams, with much success I might say.

Also, on a side note, out of the 37 kids that are in the 8th grade, 20 of them are legal 8th grade age and 17 of them are 7th grade age. Out of those 17, 4 start on offense and 4 start on defense. We play and win within the rules and I think that this thread is a slap in the face to a group of kids that condition during the off season on their own and work hard during the season. I am proud of each of these kids as are others within our program.
It will be nice next school year when all the holdback discussion will be over. No more holdbacks.
plantmanky Wrote:It will be nice next school year when all the holdback discussion will be over. No more holdbacks.

Your crazy if you think anything will change they will only start staying back before middle school.b
THOMCAT Wrote:I will make only one post on this subject. Johnson County Middle has 37 kids on their 8th grade team and 27 kids on their 7th grade team. Yes, they have two teams. Only kids enrolled in the 8th grade are on the 8th grade team and only kids enrolled in the 7th grade are on the 7th grade team. No 7th graders play up on the 8th grade team. That is why we have success. We keep a lot of kids involved. Also, our 7th grade team is not afraid to play 8th grade teams, with much success I might say.

Also, on a side note, out of the 37 kids that are in the 8th grade, 20 of them are legal 8th grade age and 17 of them are 7th grade age. Out of those 17, 4 start on offense and 4 start on defense. We play and win within the rules and I think that this thread is a slap in the face to a group of kids that condition during the off season on their own and work hard during the season. I am proud of each of these kids as are others within our program.
I'm a knox fan and we would love to duplicate what you have going. Keep up the good work do not let this bunch of cry baby's get to you.
And I am a North Laurel fan, we're coming up for what I hope is a really good game Saturday. We've got our share of holdbacks on our squad. More or less than JC? I don't know or care. Because all the players on both teams are eligible under KHSAA rules. I never held my own son back, just started him to school late, otherwise he would have graduated at just shy of 18. It was the right thing to do, yes athletically, but more so from a maturity standpoint. But if it had been for athletics, and 10-15 of his buddies did the same thing at the same time, so what? It may be selfish, but I say keep your kids with you as long as you can, they'll be gone soon enough.
All the people i know held there kids back last year even 6th greaders so no it will a while before it's over.
plantmanky Wrote:It will be nice next school year when all the holdback discussion will be over. No more holdbacks.

That's laughable. The majority hold back during elementary school years anyway. You're talking about a rule that will only affect like 5-10% (just an estimate) of the entire hold back population. The teams on top of middle school football today will be the same ones on top of it 5-10 years down the road.
I think plantman is saying the argument will be on an elementary board somewhere. Maybe rivals can get that going for that purpose.
Wildcat18 Wrote:That's laughable. The majority hold back during elementary school years anyway. You're talking about a rule that will only affect like 5-10% (just an estimate) of the entire hold back population. The teams on top of middle school football today will be the same ones on top of it 5-10 years down the road.

I dont disagree with that Wildcat18, but you knew where I was going with it. If KDE penalizes districts like they are talking about that allow holdbacks for next year it could get interesting.
plantmanky Wrote:I dont disagree with that Wildcat18, but you knew where I was going with it. If KDE penalizes districts like they are talking about that allow holdbacks for next year it could get interesting.

Yes it could. Haven't they been "talking" about that for years though? It goes all the way back to kindergarten. Is there a difference in starting your kid late entering school, holding back in the 3rd grade, or holding back in the 7th grade? Holding back is nothing new and it will essentially never go away.
plantmanky Wrote:I dont disagree with that Wildcat18, but you knew where I was going with it. If KDE penalizes districts like they are talking about that allow holdbacks for next year it could get interesting.

The kids in our area stay back in elementary school, not middle school. I know of only 1 or 2 that stayed back in middle school and it wasn't for football.
Great season Knox.
How in the world can an extra year to mature and an extra year at home possibly hurt a kid for whatever reason.
Pages: 1 2