Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: When do you start taking football serious?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
At what age/grade do you start taking football serious? I mean serious as in terms of teaching kids the X's and O's. Kids having to remember names of plays. Blocking assignments for linemen. Schemes. I know you never stop practicing fundamentals. Just curious to how you guys feel about this? I kind of feel like the sooner the better perhaps 3rd/4th grade level. But I know everyone feels differently about this topic. Thanks to those that reply.
I started teaching kids while I was in highschool I earned community service hours which at that time I had to earn 25 hrs in my U.S. History class. I would teach the offensive linemen how to pull taking a laterial step. It was a great learning experience more for me than for the kids that I was helping.
I agree 3rd or 4th grade. Just depends on the kids and their interest at that age.
Ill put this as easily as i can.
In Whitleys school district, you dont even start playing until 3rd and 4th grade. You can play in the tri county stuff like pop warner, but none of the kids hardly ever do, with most of the schools being a long way from Corbin.

In 3rd and 4th grade, its all about fun.
In 5th and 6th grade, its all about learning, fundamentals, and technique.
In 7th grade, you really get your first taste of outsiders and getting hit.
In 8th grade, you start to see players shine. This is where you really buckle down and learn what you can do to become a better football player and what expected of you at the high school level.
When you wanna win
RIUTG,
Still no need for teaching plays and assignments at the 4th grade level? Cant you do this and still have fun? I've saw some 4th grade teams that looked as good as HS teams just the way they run their system. I think its all about fun at every level. If you aint having fun, there really isnt any point in playing. But that was a nice post Run It Up the Gut.

Thanks
I ref kids football Kindergarten to 2nd grade. One team out there has the kids pass blocking and pulling guards at that age. It's never to young to learn.
When you put on a Belfry Pirate jersey...
I think as soon as you start playing you teach the kids to do it right football is a tough game mentally and the more times you do something the more you are prepared. If you wait till middle school or high school you will always be catching up to the groups that start this early. You can tell the teamed that have great youth programs
I agree with the 3rd or 4th grade. You want the kids to have fun and learn proper technique. You put them in the position best suited to them and then put in a minimal amount of plays. If you want to do it right and help build up the entire program you use the same plays that the big boys use, just under different names. If the kids are learning fast then you can add a few more plays in. But proper technique is the most important. It helps the upper levels by getting it instilled in them young but it also helps the kids by protecting them and teaching them how to safely play the sport, (i.e. tackling and wrapping up the proper way). So yeah 3rd or 4th grade is a great time to start.
The_Rock Wrote:RIUTG,
Still no need for teaching plays and assignments at the 4th grade level? Cant you do this and still have fun? I've saw some 4th grade teams that looked as good as HS teams just the way they run their system. I think its all about fun at every level. If you aint having fun, there really isnt any point in playing. But that was a nice post Run It Up the Gut.

Thanks

I didnt say you didnt learn plays and run them, i simply said, its more about fun then getting yelled at for not knowing what your doing.
I remember my fourth grade football team like it was yesterday, undefeated champions lol. We had a lot of fun, and had a pretty big playbook for a 4th grade team, that consisted of passing on all 2pt conversions Confusednicker: