Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Ashland Middle School Program
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
What's the story down there? Seems like they haven't produced the usual number or type of players Ashland is used to having.
Kids quit and play video games or other sports!!! Coaches for Verity are terrible!! You run the ball son I'm buddies with your dad. Throw it to such and such even if he has 3 guys on him! The 7th grade team has a lot of talent across the board and large #s! 8th grade has a few good skill players small #s
Not sure who you are T-Cats, but you are miserably misinformed about the practices of the Verity coaching staff. There has never been and never will be a time (with our current coaching staff) that anything except a player's ability determines who gets playing time. In fact, our coaches make it a point to disregard JFL stats, preconceived opinions, and who your daddy happens to be. Please get your facts straight before you slander the reputations of dedicated and hard working coaches.
The only thing I have heard regarding practices are a former coach down there would condition for an hour then run team for an hour. In my opinion conditioning needs to be done at the tail end of practice. Also, individual period is by far more important than team or inside run because that's where all the teaching is done. Team is important but its hard to teach during that period, individual is where solid fundamentals are built and from what Ive observed that's what the last few classes have been missing.
Well....I wasn't really making a reference to the actual daily practices the teams have. I was commenting on the way the team is managed in general. I think Coach Walter and his staff have a great outlook on what is important on this level of football. Just talk to his current and former players and parents of players. I think you will find most critics just have their own agendas or are totally misinformed and ignorant of what really takes place. These coaches are well respected and well loved and they give 110% to every player at every game and practce.
We'll I have watched every practice and game this year because I have a son on the team so I do know a little bit about what I'm talking about!!!
If you knew what you were talking about then you wouldn't claim that Coach Walter puts the ball in the hands of his "buddies'" kids. That never happens. In fact if you want to get down to specifics Coach Walter was "buddies" with Wick Sewell and Jimmy Bentine in high school and you don't see their kids running the ball do you? And if you know anything about our offense then you know that the QB (based on what he sees the opponent's D-line doing) makes a lot of the decisions on where to put the ball himself. Our coaches love our kids. They are passionate and dedicated and I am glad we have men like them (and not one like you T-Cats) to coach our boys. It seems to be real easy to criticize from the stands where you are safe from scrutiny yourself.
Just calling it how I see it!!! I understand the offense and actually like it but playing same kids both ways and special teams when you have kids on sideline who can play some good ball is stupid!!! The kids are lineman that you referred too and yea I think that if I coached them they would have done better but that's my opinion. I like the coaches just like to second guess them!!!
You must not like the coaches very much to call them out on a public forum and call them "terrible". I think it is pathetic and cowardly to hide behind a username to bash men that would walk through fire for all of these boys. If your coaching prowess is so good, why aren't you leading a team? Since you are so omnipotent then educate me on which "buddy" has a son that gets this favoritism you want to accuse Coach Walter of. I went to Blazer in the 90's myself and I don't recall having class with the parents of any of our running backs.
If I had the time to coach I would but too busy!! Seems funny the best player last year in JFL can't sniff the field this year!! Oh well good season not GREAT! Maybe next year.
You sure do have plenty of time to troll these forums leaving your little nuggest of wisdom. You must be one of those Dads that couldn't or didn't in highschool and now want to live through your son. Like I said earlier, our coaches do not base playing time on what you did in JFL or who your Daddy is. Any answer to my question about which "buddy" has a son who you claim gets to run the ball so exclusively? Shame in you and your petty BS.
I'm not sure about the buddy's kids either, but as a 7th grade parent they really did go by what was earned. I do think they tend to do a few too many reps with the first team instead of rotating players in during practice to show their stuff.

I think Edmoundson didn't get as many carries as would've been best, and I'd like to have seen Robinson on fewer tosses and the god-awful counter. Gibbs is the only kid who was used a lot less at Verity than in JFL, but his speed advantage is a little less in middle school and he tries to race the defense to the sideline too much for this level.

This was also first year with this offense and I think it'll be better fit to personnel next year.