Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Transfer Rule?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
If a player is on a middle school roster and transfers before the play offs, will the player be eligible?:please:
Fooseball Devil Wrote:If a player is on a middle school roster and transfers before the play offs, will the player be eligible?:please:

Wow....thats a tricky question. I would recommend a PM to plantmanky or one of the KYMSFA directors on this site.
No!
Wow thatd be a great way to stack your team before the playoffs.
I would guess it would be a no like JagSwag said, or you could have an abundance of intercounty players transferring to win a title.
Once a kid has been submitted on a roster he is ineligible to play for another KMSFA TEAM. Just like Gut said as soon as your team lost orstarted not to look good allstar teams would form.
Well I heard that the real good running back for MeCreary has moved to meece as of this week would he be able to play
He moved to Meece almost two school weeks ago. He has already played in a regular season game and has practiced with the team multiple times. I don't see how this should be a problem. His move was a legitimate move and he shouldn't be punished. The only problem I think would be if a roster had already been submitted, in that case I don't have an answer.
If the rules posted on the Middle School Associations website are still accurate then he will be eligible as long as the Meece A.D. validates him on the roster and the updated roster is submitted to the Middle School Association. By the time the playoffs begin he will have practiced as many as 10-15 times and have played in 3 plus conference games. Shouldn't be an issue as long as long as the paperwork has been submitted.
^
So, a kid can move this late in the season and be eligible to play in the playoffs for a new team?
I've read and re-read the rules posted on the kymsfa website dated 2013 and that's basically what it sais. I don't see any issue with it myself, in high school play all a transfer has to complete is 5 practices before the transfer would become eligible to play varsity ball after the khsaa signs off on the transfer. As of now he has well over five practices and by the time the playoffs begin will have as many as 3 conference games played. My guess is that next year the khsaa will address this issue in writing when they take over middle school athletics.
^
So, lets say Corbin gets eliminated in the first round.
Can those kids go to Whitley the next week, practice 5 days and play the next night?

Sounds fishy to me.
jumper1 Wrote:He moved to Meece almost two school weeks ago. He has already played in a regular season game and has practiced with the team multiple times. I don't see how this should be a problem. His move was a legitimate move and he shouldn't be punished. The only problem I think would be if a roster had already been submitted, in that case I don't have an answer.

How can be a legitimate move if he still lives in McCreary County?
Alright every school load up!!! Makes perfect sense to me! I thought roster had to be turned in by the 15th! Verifcation of that roster and so forth, or why else would they do a check? Why turn in a roster at all! I agree with Jagswag, no should be the answer! Plant here is another question about eligiability...look forward to seeing the answer for that as well!
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:^
So, lets say Corbin gets eliminated in the first round.
Can those kids go to Whitley the next week, practice 5 days and play the next night?

Sounds fishy to me.

I'm not for sure what you want me to say? I'm not even 100% sure that what I've posted is completely accurate, all of done is went to the KYMSFA website and read the rules posted on eligibility of players. And based upon what I've read I believe that he will and should be eligible to play. To the contrary, I can't find any reason that he shouldn't.

I don't know how you think it is fishy? The boy in question has enrolled in school two weeks ago and has already practiced multiple times and will have played in as many as three conference games before playoffs begin. The precedent from the bylaws of the KHSAA are much less than what he will have completed come middle school playoff time. The KHSAA bylaws state after an athlete is deemed eligible then he or she only has to practice five times before playing. As of now there isn't any athletic association governing middle school transfers.

Too answer your question above, as the rules are stated on the website if kids from Corbin leave and go to Whitley County then the Whitley Middle AD would only have to verify the paperwork and update the roster. It would be nice if someone from the KYMSFA would come on here and clarify the subject. As I've stated, I would bet a good penny that this will be addressed before the beginning of next season due to the KHSAA taking over middle school athletics.
The rules are interesting. Thanks for your help Jumper 1! Good luck in the west!
Good luck in the west against Mayfield! It should be a dandy of a game!
tvtimeout Wrote:Alright every school load up!!! Makes perfect sense to me! I thought roster had to be turned in by the 15th! Verifcation of that roster and so forth, or why else would they do a check? Why turn in a roster at all! I agree with Jagswag, no should be the answer! Plant here is another question about eligiability...look forward to seeing the answer for that as well!

The Kentucky Middle School Football Association Rules- 2013 are as follows:

Team/Student Eligibility Rules
9. Each member shall provide to the KYMSFA a copy of their roster, to be certified by their school's principal/athletic director/high school coach responsible for the middle school football program, before August 31st of each season. The roster shall include the player's name, age, date of birth, grade and home/away jersey number. Any change in information (e.g. jersey number, player addition to team duo to transfer, etc.) to a verified roster must be submitted to the KYMSFA and made available to any opponent/official prior to game/contest. It is the responsibility of each head coach to maintain a certified copy of their team's roster with them during any game/contest and available for review...etc.

Kentucky Middle School Football State Championship Rules:

4. Players eligible to play in the State Championship playoffs must have been on the verified team roster during the regular season. All rosters are to be approved according to the Eligibility Rules.

As stated above in #4, he should be eligible because he has played in the regular season as long as the roster change is/was made.
tvtimeout Wrote:Good luck in the west against Mayfield! It should be a dandy of a game!

I just hope that we can make it that far along. I have great respect for your football program and the long history that has preceded it. :Thumbs:
We played MC on Thursday and the coack told us he just left the week before?
jumper1 Wrote:The Kentucky Middle School Football Association Rules- 2013 are as follows:

Team/Student Eligibility Rules
9. Each member shall provide to the KYMSFA a copy of their roster, to be certified by their school's principal/athletic director/high school coach responsible for the middle school football program, before August 31st of each season. The roster shall include the player's name, age, date of birth, grade and home/away jersey number. Any change in information (e.g. jersey number, player addition to team duo to transfer, etc.) to a verified roster must be submitted to the KYMSFA and made available to any opponent/official prior to game/contest. It is the responsibility of each head coach to maintain a certified copy of their team's roster with them during any game/contest and available for review...etc.

Kentucky Middle School Football State Championship Rules:

4. Players eligible to play in the State Championship playoffs must have been on the verified team roster during the regular season. All rosters are to be approved according to the Eligibility Rules.

As stated above in #4, he should be eligible because he has played in the regular season as long as the roster change is/was made.

You guys dont need me, this pretty much sums it up.
tvtimeout Wrote:Good luck in the west against Mayfield! It should be a dandy of a game!

I think they can take Mayfield.
Wow! Get the rosters out... so a kid can come in and play after the deadline of Sept. 15th as long as the submit the roster into KMSAA. This rule will probably be changed next year when the KHSAA takes over. Congrats to the programs mentioned like I said I think Meece and Mayfield out of the West. Pikeville, Paintsville, Williamsburg, or New Harlam out of the East depending if New Harlan moves up or not.
plantmanky Wrote:I think they can take Mayfield.

I agree it will be a heck of a game, especially with players transfering in and such... lol!
tvtimeout Wrote:so a kid can come in and play after the deadline of Sept. 15th as long as the submit the roster into KMSAA. This rule will probably be changed next year when the KHSAA takes over.

Yes, the rules state if an athlete is on the regular season roster then he would be eligible as stated in my post above. Sounds to me that the September 15th deadline is to get the teams involved moving and if an adjustment needs be made then the roster would need to be resubmitted with a verification of the change.

As to the rule being changed next year, it may or it may not. Let me beat the dead horse, as of now in varsity football play governed by the KHSAA all a transfer has to do is practice 5 times before being eligible to play after originally being cleared by the KHSAA. My guess is that it won't change much, the KHSAA barely has the manpower now to govern what they already have without adding on 50% more kids to the equation.
tvtimeout Wrote:I agree it will be a heck of a game, especially with players transfering in and such... lol!

I think we could've made it a game before hand....Confusedinglepar Hopefully we both can stay healthy and take care of one game at a time with the opportunity down the road to meet up. :rockon:
Mayfield did not join the KMSFA for 2013. They registered initially but decided to opt out.
@tvtineout - rosters are due by September 15th. Playoffs begin on 10/8. Not sure why you would think there is a time issue there?

No players are "jumping teams" once their original team might have lost in the state playoffs. Not sure where some folks get these ideas from??? #smh
@jumper1 - it's more than "50% more". There are way more middle schools in this state than there are high schools.
jumper1 Wrote:I'm not for sure what you want me to say? I'm not even 100% sure that what I've posted is completely accurate, all of done is went to the KYMSFA website and read the rules posted on eligibility of players. And based upon what I've read I believe that he will and should be eligible to play. To the contrary, I can't find any reason that he shouldn't.

I don't know how you think it is fishy? The boy in question has enrolled in school two weeks ago and has already practiced multiple times and will have played in as many as three conference games before playoffs begin. The precedent from the bylaws of the KHSAA are much less than what he will have completed come middle school playoff time. The KHSAA bylaws state after an athlete is deemed eligible then he or she only has to practice five times before playing. As of now there isn't any athletic association governing middle school transfers.

Too answer your question above, as the rules are stated on the website if kids from Corbin leave and go to Whitley County then the Whitley Middle AD would only have to verify the paperwork and update the roster. It would be nice if someone from the KYMSFA would come on here and clarify the subject. As I've stated, I would bet a good penny that this will be addressed before the beginning of next season due to the KHSAA taking over middle school athletics.

I wasn't giving you a hard time.
I appreciate your post.
It just seems very odd and may be a loophole teams have found in the past that have costed other teams playoff games.

Very interesting. Im curious to see if anyone brings it up this year, although im sure it will be kept hush hush for the most part.
jumper1 Wrote:Yes, the rules state if an athlete is on the regular season roster then he would be eligible as stated in my post above. Sounds to me that the September 15th deadline is to get the teams involved moving and if an adjustment needs be made then the roster would need to be resubmitted with a verification of the change.

As to the rule being changed next year, it may or it may not. Let me beat the dead horse, as of now in varsity football play governed by the KHSAA all a transfer has to do is practice 5 times before being eligible to play after originally being cleared by the KHSAA. My guess is that it won't change much, the KHSAA barely has the manpower now to govern what they already have without adding on 50% more kids to the equation.

Consider this the death of middle school football next year.
Unless the KHSAA keeps a governing body to keep an eye on middle school football like the KMSFA, then consider middle school football to become a laughing stock.
Pages: 1 2