Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Middle School Football
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Should there be restictions state wide regarding Age, weight,hold backs. there is times where young men late 14 to some older than 15 playing against 12 to 13 yr. olds I think there some serious safety issues in the middle schools in ky. Any thoughts on this.
BelfryBuck Wrote:Should there be restictions state wide regarding Age, weight,hold backs. there is times where young men late 14 to some older than 15 playing against 12 to 13 yr. olds I think there some serious safety issues in the middle schools in ky. Any thoughts on this.

You can't penalize a kid for being BIG. So there is no way you can restrict a kid on his size. If you watched the Little League World Series on ESPN here in the last few days, you would have seen a kid on the Saudi Team that is 13 yrs old, 6' 8", 256 lbs and has a size 19 shoe. So would it be right to tell this CHILD (Because he still is) that he can't play Little League with his buddies because he is too big? NO! As far as age goes, if a kid turns 15 before their first day of 8th grade they are already in trouble. That means you will not be eligable to play your Senior year. So there are some restrictions in place already.
cant turn 19 before August 1 or 31 to be elgible @ High School I think Ridge runner
Ridge Runner Wrote:You can't penalize a kid for being BIG. So there is no way you can restrict a kid on his size. If you watched the Little League World Series on ESPN here in the last few days, you would have seen a kid on the Saudi Team that is 13 yrs old, 6' 8", 256 lbs and has a size 19 shoe. So would it be right to tell this CHILD (Because he still is) that he can't play Little League with his buddies because he is too big? NO! As far as age goes, if a kid turns 15 before their first day of 8th grade they are already in trouble. That means you will not be eligable to play your Senior year. So there are some restrictions in place already.

Those kids playing Little League will not be hitting or tackleing any 120/150 lb kid who is the approperiate age for his grade. Mine plays ALL sports and there is a big difference in every sport. No you cant do anything about a kid who is the CORRECT AGE for his grade and cant punish him but weather many people want to admit it or not, THERE IS a problem with hold backs and in many peoples opinion if they cant pass, cant make good grades, NEED to be held back then they need to be studying instead of playing sports! I for one know how much time sports take and if your failing your classes then you need to spend more time learning not more time practicing/playing.
No problem with holdbacks, if your kid is 5'5" and 100 lbs in 8th grade he needs to be held back, be happy about just being on the team, or not play sports, plain and simple.

I was 6' 160 in 8th grade and the 4th biggest person on the team, and was held back but was just 14 in 8th grade which is the correct age. You should be 14 in 8th grade, not 13, not turn 14 after you graduate 8th.

My best friend was 6'4" and 210 in 8th grade, and he was a month older than I was. Kids are different just su it up and play.
Thats not the problem...the problem is these HUGE kids who are soposed to be 9th and 10th graders and yes they are out there Rolleyes Also the concern for people who care about the kids has nothing to do with winning or losing...its trying not to get the kids hurt playing against kids who should be HS fresh or JV. Notice the thread starter "safety issues" they're real.
I doubt if many are supposed to be in 10th grade. As mentioned before, if they are 15 at the start of the year it would make them inelgiable for their senior season due to age restriction. Doubt most people would rather play an extra season in Jr High and miss Senior Season. And for people that are supposed to be Freshman, most of the time, JR High teams are composed of 8th graders, so not too big of a difference. Most 7th graders play on their own team, and 6th graders shouldn't be playing with guys in 8th grade anyway.
You would think....but some do. I know some kids are just big, some are not, they all grow at different ages, but I've literally watched players over 6 ft (i know this because my husbands a good size man and 6'1" and they were as big and bigger), Good weight, BIG kids, Full facial hair, play a 7th grade team, throw their pads and helmet in their car and drive off. IVE seen it and I've talked, I know people from surroundings areas and they are out there..prob not a whole lot of them, but they are. I know how people can talk, but this is not a case of..."Look at how big he is, I bet he's soposed to be in the 10th grade. Its these kids who really should be that are the problem.
If you've seen some drive off, then something needs to be looked into.
then u have kids leave one county school in the 8th grade next yr in another co system in the same grade and some of the teams having 6 to 8 hold backs on a team, now is this just to win now or building for the future. Or is this team just trying to stay up with other team in their area.
Well...I know that Pikeville has had players do that in the past and it was to build for the future. ie. Robert Shurtleff, Jesse Parrish, and Brett Gibson. Worked out to with a Regional Championship their Senior Year.
Beef Wrote:If you've seen some drive off, then something needs to be looked into.

You're right! Its really does! These kids need to play ball and football is a major contact sport with safety issues of its own without adding to it with players who need to move on. Being held back due to maturity, grades, young age, size...thats one thing! But Some of these guys :yikes: LOL Its just not a good thing...

We LOVE football, my kids LOVE football!!! And we will play, watch and support!! You know I'm not knocking anything but...
BelfryBuck Wrote:then u have kids leave one county school in the 8th grade next yr in another co system in the same grade and some of the teams having 6 to 8 hold backs on a team, now is this just to win now or building for the future. Or is this team just trying to stay up with other team in their area.

Thats too many hold backs on one team! Especially if your going to play a true 7th or 8th grade team!
Every school has holdbacks so i dont think this is as much of a problem. The problem is the age. KHSAA says that if you turn 19 before Aug. 1st then you are ineligible from there on out in High School Athletics. I have seen many parents hold their child back to gain that extra year to grow and get better athletically. I see nothing wrong with it but it gets ridiculous when these kids are 15 and 16 and still playing middle school ball, thats when the line should be drawn.
Virgie and Dorton will be down this year
Would the new rule in pike co. have any thing to do with it.????????, I say not letting the kids that should have been playing (right age ,grade)has hurt their program. Also seem's like the #'s at shelby valley are way down.
BelfryBuck Wrote:Would the new rule in pike co. have any thing to do with it.????????, I say not letting the kids that should have been playing (right age ,grade)has hurt their program. Also seem's like the #'s at shelby valley are way down.

what do you mean. The numbers at shelby valley are way down??
Is 20-30 kids the norm at SV that about how many was on the field at the Pike Co. bowl. I'm just saying if they did, nt have so many hold back in their feeder system yr's past they might just have a few more out to play because if u set behind holdbacks in grade school and not get any playing time u lose interest . One (if not both) of SV feeder schools has had hold back for awhile has it helped or hurt the program at SV.
I would say it helped more then it hurt us
BelfryBuck Wrote:then u have kids leave one county school in the 8th grade next yr in another co system in the same grade and some of the teams having 6 to 8 hold backs on a team, now is this just to win now or building for the future. Or is this team just trying to stay up with other team in their area.

So you are saying that a player completed 8th grade at school A and then went back through 8th grade at school B. If I understand you correctly, tht player should be losing a year of high school eligibility. Your 8 consecutive semesters begin when you are promoted from the 8th grade.

I think there are a few players in the state losing their Senior year of eligibility right now because of this. One example I read was a student completed 8th grade and mom and dad decided he wasn't really ready to go on to high school. He was enrolled at a small private school and went through 8th grade a second time. He is now sitting out his senior year. I think this was in Central Kentucky, perhaps Scott County.
I support holding back if everyone can do it. If they are going to stop people you need to stop all kids from doing across the state or in the nation. My kids will hold back, but not for sports reasons. It is always better for a student to graduate older.
better watch holding kids back. There is a new rule that if you hold back past the 6th grade it could affect their high school eligiblity
I for one know that i was 5'8 175 in 8th, and my little brother is 6'1 185 and in 8th grade.... i had a full beard but im still 14 and a sophmore in high school. I was born on October 1st..right on the deadline, I think the holding back is a BIG problem in Eastern Kentucky, not to point any fingers, but over Valley's way. People like me should have been held back. Due to age, maturity and ACADEMIC reasons, not just for a sport. IMO, there should be STRICT reasons on why a student is held back. Age, Maturity, and academics.
NYY10 Wrote:Virgie and Dorton will be down this year

I wonder why Confusedhh:
NYY10 Wrote:Virgie and Dorton will be down this year

Yeah Virgie will cause i'm helpin coach...lol
UVA_Wise_Football Wrote:Yeah Virgie will cause i'm helpin coach...lol

Smile
belfry will win because Kevin Deskins is so sexy.
johnnyd Wrote:belfry will win because Kevin Deskins is so sexy.

Smile Go get em Kevin :notworthy
johnnyd Wrote:belfry will win because Kevin Deskins is so sexy.

Allthough I don't know Coach Deskins I do not think that they will win because of his looks. From what I remember it didn't make them win last season. Just a thought 2 ponder on.
What was Belfry Middle School's record last season? If i recall they had some losses that they should have won.
Pages: 1 2 3