Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Kentucky having a rough time recruiting
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
How the mighty have fallen.

Kentucky coach Tubby Smith was at the Eastern Invitational the first day of the recruiting period. Eastern Invitational is a camp about an hour down the road from the ABCD event in New Jersey. While you find the heavy hitters (Mike Krzyzewski, Roy Williams, etc.) at ABCD, Eastern is known as a breeding ground for mid-major talent, as evidenced by the plethora of mid-major coaches that come through the doors.

[Image: 5782036_36_2.jpg]Tubby Smith and Kentucky don't look like they can lure Tyrone Nash to play for them. (Jim McIsaac / Getty Images)

Smith was at Eastern to catch his first glimpse of Tyrone Nash, a 6-foot-6 forward debating between Kentucky or heading to prep school (Northfield Mount Hermon) in the fall.

Believe it or not, Nash is leaning toward turning Smith and the Wildcats program down in favor of a prep year. He's an outstanding student and while he wouldn't come out and say it, the former Lawrence Woodmere (N.Y.) star realizes the instability of the Kentucky program these days and also the fact that Smith only saw him play for the first time this past week.

"It's a nice campus and a good team," Nash said. "But I don't have a great comfort level with them because they didn't start recruiting me until recently."

Nash is smart. In fact, he's too smart for Smith and the Wildcats staff.

"If the ball stops bouncing, I need to think about life after basketball," Nash said. "It's not that a degree from Kentucky isn't good, but other schools such as Stanford and Georgetown have a better academic reputation."

Nash also knows that he'd just be a body for Kentucky and while he appears to be leaning towards spurning the Wildcats in hopes of attending a big-time academic school such as Stanford a year from now, his father is trying to persuade him to accept Smith's offer and head to Lexington. "I'm still in the middle of deciding," Nash said.
Really..Kentucky is..Man I am shocked. I figured with our GREAT RECRUITING COACH Tubby Smith that we would be set. I mean look at how good he has done in the last couple of years....THIS IS KENTUCKY BASKETBALL..OVERHYPED AND GETTING DOWNRIGHT RIDICULOUS! THANK YOU TUBBY FOR KILLING THE ONLY THING THIS STATE IS OBSESSED WITH! IT IS AT ROCK BOTTOM!
PLAYBOY5 Wrote:Really..Kentucky is..Man I am shocked. I figured with our GREAT RECRUITING COACH Tubby Smith that we would be set. I mean look at how good he has done in the last couple of years....THIS IS KENTUCKY BASKETBALL..OVERHYPED AND GETTING DOWNRIGHT RIDICULOUS! THANK YOU TUBBY FOR KILLING THE ONLY THING THIS STATE IS OBSESSED WITH! IT IS AT ROCK BOTTOM!
Ditto!
Do you ladies want some cheese with that whine?
alfus21 Wrote:Do you ladies want some cheese with that whine?
Do you not care about the direction the UK basketball program is heading in? I have tried supporting Tubby, but he is just not cutting it. He must go and we must find someone better to replace him.
Ah, just look over Alfus..Everybody else does...When it comes to Tubby and U.K. basketball.
UK will be fine, and if not, Tubby will be gone and UK will find another coach.
BCF4L Wrote:Do you not care about the direction the UK basketball program is heading in? I have tried supporting Tubby, but he is just not cutting it. He must go and we must find someone better to replace him.

Yeah, I care but I know there is more parody in college basketball now than there has ever been. The season isn't even close so why bitch and moan about something that's not even that big of a deal? We have some great recruits coming in, and Bradley and Crawford should both be scoring machines next season. Our only ? is the Center when Morris gets in trouble. UK Basketball will be fine. I don't know how many times I have to say it, but UK went 20 years without a championship before 96, we all survived the Eddie Sutton fiasco and you know what? Life goes on.

PLAYBOY5 Wrote:Ah, just look over Alfus..Everybody else does...When it comes to Tubby and U.K. basketball.

Yeah, that's why you respond to everything I say eh?
Couldn't agree more alfus.
gentleman.....i dont know what kind of grass you all are smoking but the UK basketball program is nowhere near rock bottom......rock bottom programs dont pull top 10 recruiting classes. rock bottom programs dont go to elite 8's....rock bottom programs dont go to the ncaa tournament every year, even playboys man crush rick pitino missed the tourny last year. but theyre in much better shape then we are accordin to playboy and BCF4L.

mark it down today, that the University of Kentucky will be a Final Four team in the 2006-2007 season....
I luv your confidence, but I hope they make the final four in the SEC! I am a huge KY fan, but we have hit some tuff times. I am still praying though.:Thumbs:

corndog23 Wrote:gentleman.....i dont know what kind of grass you all are smoking but the UK basketball program is nowhere near rock bottom......rock bottom programs dont pull top 10 recruiting classes. rock bottom programs dont go to elite 8's....rock bottom programs dont go to the ncaa tournament every year, even playboys man crush rick pitino missed the tourny last year. but theyre in much better shape then we are accordin to playboy and BCF4L.

mark it down today, that the University of Kentucky will be a Final Four team in the 2006-2007 season....
Smile
corndog23 Wrote:mark it down today, that the University of Kentucky will be a Final Four team in the 2006-2007 season....

:thatsfunn

I will mark it down! I don't see that happening if he stays.
BelfryJustice Wrote:Smile

I will mark it down! I don't see that happening if he stays.

laugh all you want......but id be willin to bet that there is a better chance of UK going to the final four this year then there is of belfry winning a regional football title.....
corndog23 Wrote:gentleman.....i dont know what kind of grass you all are smoking but the UK basketball program is nowhere near rock bottom......rock bottom programs dont pull top 10 recruiting classes. rock bottom programs dont go to elite 8's....rock bottom programs dont go to the ncaa tournament every year, even playboys man crush rick pitino missed the tourny last year. but theyre in much better shape then we are accordin to playboy and BCF4L.

pretty soon we can all say neither does KY..

as for final four.. well.. i'll bet a million to a peanut, that they won't see final four for about at least 2 more years..
corndog23 Wrote:laugh all you want......but id be willin to bet that there is a better chance of UK going to the final four this year then there is of belfry winning a regional football title.....

Belfry has a good coach and I don't understand what that has to do with this thread, but whatever.

I truly love you Tubby lovers. At least the sky is blue and not falling. I feel as if he has done nothing but take a program that was on top and made them an average ball team. You might need to take those blue smoked glasses off. Belfry will be fine this year. You need to come and watch a few games. I feel as if it will be a better program to watch week from week this year, and I will spend less time upset over having an average coach like Tubby.

:lmao:
BelfryJustice Wrote::thatsfunn

Belfry has a good coach and I don't understand what that has to do with this thread, but whatever.

I truly love you Tubby lovers. At least the sky is blue and not falling. I feel as if he has done nothing but take a program that was on top and made them an average ball team. You might need to take those blue smoked glasses off. Belfry will be fine this year. You need to come and watch a few games. I feel as if it will be a better program to watch week from week this year, and I will spend less time upset over having an average coach like Tubby.

:lmao:

i am by no means a "tubby lover". i am a UK basketball lover and i will support the man, whoever it is, that is running this team. all your moaning and groaning and bitching will get you absolutely nowhere. i dont understand how folks can be so negative. we have a top 10 recruiting class, we're in good shape for a BUNCH of top players for next year, we return a good core from last year. we went to the ELITE 8 TWO years ago!! the only thing i can figure with you bashers and fairweather fans is that you just dont know alot about the game of basketball. ive tried and tried to figure out if there was a good reason you were whinin and cryin, but i cant find one. you just dont know anything about basketball...thats all there is to it....
LETS GO [size=3]DUKE!!!![/size]

I do not agree with the final four prediction, but I do agree with the rest of your post.:thumpsup:
corndog23 Wrote:i am by no means a "tubby lover". i am a UK basketball lover and i will support the man, whoever it is, that is running this team. all your moaning and groaning and bitching will get you absolutely nowhere. i dont understand how folks can be so negative. we have a top 10 recruiting class, we're in good shape for a BUNCH of top players for next year, we return a good core from last year. we went to the ELITE 8 TWO years ago!! the only thing i can figure with you bashers and fairweather fans is that you just dont know alot about the game of basketball. ive tried and tried to figure out if there was a good reason you were whinin and cryin, but i cant find one. you just dont know anything about basketball...thats all there is to it....

I have never liked him bottom line and you can call it what you want. UK will be no better than it was last year.
BelfryJustice Wrote:I have never liked him bottom line and you can call it what you want. UK will be no better than it was last year.

alright....that tells me all i need to know about your view of the first african american coach in UK's history....
crazytaxidriver Wrote:pretty soon we can all say neither does KY..

as for final four.. well.. i'll bet a million to a peanut, that they won't see final four for about at least 2 more years..

Book it!!! I'll send you a peanut in the mail to hold, what's your address? I'd really like for someone else to hold your million, though.:flame:
corndog23 Wrote:alright....that tells me all i need to know about your view of the first african american coach in UK's history....
How you can get race involved in the statement that was made I have no idea.
TheBrahmaBull Wrote:How you can get race involved in the statement that was made I have no idea.

how you cant is beyond me. how can you not EVER like a coach who led your team to a national championship in his FIRST year?!?!! he said he NEVER liked him, so the only logial explanation, other then hes a louisville fan, is that he does not like him because of his skin color...only thing i can figure...
BelfryJustice Wrote:I have never liked him bottom line and you can call it what you want. UK will be no better than it was last year.

Why did you "never" like him? He won a National Title his first year at UK? Let me go ahead and save you the typical Tubby Bashing statement because I know it's coming. "Blah blah blah, those were Pitino's players and his title" By the way which is the lamest statement ever read or heard by anybody, and any non-biased moron would agree.

Why did you "never" like Tubby Smith?
alfus21 Wrote:Why did you "never" like him? He won a National Title his first year at UK? Let me go ahead and save you the typical Tubby Bashing statement because I know it's coming. "Blah blah blah, those were Pitino's players and his title" By the way which is the lamest statement ever read or heard by anybody, and any non-biased moron would agree.

Why did you "never" like Tubby Smith?

It was a team that was made up of Pitino’s recruits. Can you say different? I have never liked his style and that is how it is. He never calls a timeout when it is needed. He has brought many players in that have been a cancer to the program. There have been some good ones. But the lack of team chemistry I haven’t seen during his coaching time at UK. He brings in a lot of its all about me players and that is how I see it. Like it or not you will not change my mind on this subject.

:yikes:
BelfryJustice Wrote:It was a team that was made up of Pitino’s recruits. Can you say different? I have never liked his style and that is how it is. He never calls a timeout when it is needed. He has brought many players in that have been a cancer to the program. There have been some good ones. But the lack of team chemistry I haven’t seen during his coaching time at UK. He brings in a lot of its all about me players and that is how I see it. Like it or not you will not change my mind on this subject.

:yikes:

Then why couldn't Pitino win with that exact team earlier when they were the favorite? I mean the 98' team didn't have Derrick Anderson, Anthony Epps, Jared Prickett, or Ron Mercer but the 1997 team did. But which one won the National Title? Oh yeah the 1998 team coached by Tubby Smith, after losing those great players. Seems like he did a good job to me.
corndog23 Wrote:alright....that tells me all i need to know about your view of the first african american coach in UK's history....

I refuse to spend much time on your ignorance in this statement. Racism is a learned behavior that must be taught. I for one was never taught this in my parent’s house while growing up. You have never met me and have no right to place judgment on me. I have a great deal of friends that are of a different race and I have never been a judge of color or location. It appears that you tend to say this about anyone that doesn’t love your, wonderful in your mind, coach Tubby. His race plays no role at all in my feelings about this coach and never has. You can ask anyone that knows me that I don’t engage in that type of behavior and never would. If you have future things to say about me you need to make sure that you know what you are talking about before you put them out for everyone to read. I myself don’t appreciate your slander of my character.

:ChairHit:
BelfryJustice Wrote:I refuse to spend much time on your ignorance in this statement. Racism is a learned behavior that must be taught. I for one was never taught this in my parent’s house while growing up. You have never met me and have no right to place judgment on me. I have a great deal of friends that are of a different race and I have never been a judge of color or location. It appears that you tend to say this about anyone that doesn’t love your, wonderful in your mind, coach Tubby. His race plays no role at all in my feelings about this coach and never has. You can ask anyone that knows me that I don’t engage in that type of behavior and never would. If you have future things to say about me you need to make sure that you know what you are talking about before you put them out for everyone to read. [size=4]I myself don’t appreciate your slander of my character. [/size]

:ChairHit:

you do a pretty good job of slandering your own character with posts such as, i have never liked tubby smith. what else am i supposed to think?? he won us a freakin national championship!! you can say they were pitinos polayers all you want but the 97 team was MUCH more talented and they failed to win the national title. how do you not like a man who won a championship???? you cant say its because of his ten loss seasons, because youve already said you NEVER liked the man. what else am i supposed to think???????
We all have opinions and I have never tried to cram mine down anyone throat. My liking or dislike of Tubby has nothing to do with race. I never liked his style compared to Pitino’s style. I guess you can say that I liked the style of defense that Rick brought to the court. It also appeared that most of his teams played team ball and not the just me syndrome that I seen so much out of Tubby’s recruits and teams. I don’t ask that you agree with my opinion I just ask that you respect it. That is one thing that I have learned from life, everyone will not agree most of the time but their opinion is theirs. I know the comparison of butts and opinions so you will not need to remind me of that. Plus I know a few stink but respect goes a long way in this world, so spend less time trying to destroy someone’s character because they have a different opinion than yours about something that mean so little to the success of this world. This will be another year like last in my opinion and I know yours.

:redboxer:
Just like always another UK thread totally off subject. CLOSED

From now on we need to have the following threads involving UK.

1 One thread only about how you hate TUBBY

2 One thread only about how you love TUBBY

3 As many threads as you would like about UK Basketball if they involved Tubby without causing trouble great otherwise I will close them as soon as they turn to this crap.