Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: DeMoss, Barnhart Agree to New Contract
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
UK women's basketball coach Mickie DeMoss, who led the Wildcats to a top-four finish in the Southeastern Conference and an appearance in the NCAA Tournament for the first time in seven years, has been rewarded a new five-year contract worth $350,000 annually, UK Director of Athletics Mitch Barnhart announced Monday. "Coach DeMoss is very deserving of this new contract as our women's basketball program is now one of the marquee sports in women's athletics," Barnhart said. "The program has made significant progress while competing in a very difficult league. Coach DeMoss' recruiting, organization and vision for the program give me great confidence in the direction it is going."

In three seasons DeMoss has led the Wildcats to a 51-42 (.548) overall record, including a 22-9 mark last season. During 2005-06 DeMoss led UK to incredible new heights, piloting a team that went from winning a combined 20 games in the two years prior to her arrival, to a record-breaking regular season that included the most wins (22) in 16 years, a school-record nine SEC wins, the highest conference finish (fourth) in 23 years, and UK's first appearance in the NCAA Tournament in seven years. What's more impressive is that DeMoss did it with one of the youngest teams in the nation, comprised of nine freshmen and sophomores and just one graduating senior. DeMoss did not go unrecognized for her success as she was named UK Hoops' first-ever SEC Coach of the Year by the SEC coaches and The Associated Press. In her three seasons as head coach, all 10 players who completed their eligibility also left with a degree.

"This speaks volumes of the commitment UK has made to the women's basketball program," DeMoss said. "Being at Kentucky has been a tremendous experience for me. This past season was very rewarding to see us make so many positive strides in the SEC and on the national scene. I'm looking forward to the future of the program and bringing more excitement to women's basketball at Kentucky."

[Image: pxl_trans.gif]
She's a great coach... I'm glad they are keeping her around for a while
Congrats coach....
Very deserving Coach
She is amazing!!!!!!!
Wish she would apply for the men's position, lol..The best coach in Kentucky without a doubt! Glad she is giving basketball fans in Kentucky something to look forward too, because it sure isn't the men's!
PLAYBOY5 Wrote:Wish she would apply for the men's position, lol..The best coach in Kentucky without a doubt! Glad she is giving basketball fans in Kentucky something to look forward too, because it sure isn't the men's!

No doubt. Its nice to watch a team that can shoot free throws consistantly.
Glad to see we will have her around for a while