Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Are cheerleaders today as much role models as they were 20 years ago?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I hate to say this but I think not.
BAYPC CHEERBABE Wrote:I hate to say this but I think not.

Absolutely not!! Its very sad but very true. 20 years ago a cheerleader would not dare do some of the things that "some" of them do now and if/when they did, they were no longer a cheerleader. Seems like kids these days have no self respect.
No, but I think they could be.I think with higher standards expected from the coaches and Schools, cheerleading could make a huge turn around. Girls used to look up to cheerleaders, now days everyone waits for the latest gossip about them. It only takes a few to make the whole squad look bad. So every girl must obey the rules and demand the respect that every cheerleader deserves!
I know that as a cheerleader in the mid-eighty's if I had disrespected my coach the way I have some of our cheerleaders do I would be dismissed from the squad without any questions asked. We were to always be a role model for the student body and we were looked up to because that is what every girl wanted to do. I think that the cheerleaders no is more about competing with others not about raising school spirit. I know our cheerleaders now are cosidered more as atheletes than we were but I think they need to get back to the basics a little.
I agree with ya's!!! When I cheered in the mid 80's myself we KNEW what we could and couldn't do. We didn't dare mouth off to our sponsor and if we made mistakes, we were made run! By run, I mean during football season, if we screwed up, we ran laps around the field, during basketball, we ran in the entire gym, NOT floor only! We lifted weights, did aroebics work out before EVERY practice, and were respected!!! IMO... all that cheered with me LOVED what they did. We would have never dared to speak out to our sponsors.. our parents might have but not us. We didn't want to chance being taken off the squad. I can remember a time when the cheerleaders at PHS were in as good shape as the football and basketball teams!!! Hard work and a love for what you do.... makes a good cheerleader (partly anyway Big Grin)
I agree... somewhat. I believe respect is something that is earned, not something to be given "just because" of placement or position. I believe our cheerleaders should not be the only ones in a school held to a higher standard.
When I was in school and cheered, the cheer leaders GPA had to be a 3.0, while the "athletes" themselves, only had to have a 2.2. (why not expect a 3.0 from everyone? Lowering standards does nothing but diminish credibility.... this is like taking away the BHS or ROBHS or tucks and so forth from a tryout, what kind of result could one expect? Lowering standards diminishes CREDIBILITY!)
Administrators, teachers, coaches, and student athletes should be respectful of others as well as themselves. They should treat others with dignity and respect along with working hard to be successful in whatever their field of interest.
The general public is always watching and they know who works hard, who shows respect, who shows compassion, and everything else.... they also know who does not.
If cheer leaders are not getting the respect they believe they should be getting, maybe they need to take a good look at how they are conducting themselves AS INDIVIDUALS AND AS A TEAM. Perception is Reality.
Not ALL cheerleaders are like that though
IISnakE Wrote:I agree... somewhat. I believe respect is something that is earned, not something to be given "just because" of placement or position. I believe our cheerleaders should not be the only ones in a school held to a higher standard.
When I was in school and cheered, the cheer leaders GPA had to be a 3.0, while the "athletes" themselves, only had to have a 2.2. (why not expect a 3.0 from everyone? Lowering standards does nothing but diminish credibility.... this is like taking away the BHS or ROBHS or tucks and so forth from a tryout, what kind of result could one expect? Lowering standards diminishes CREDIBILITY!)
Administrators, teachers, coaches, and student athletes should be respectful of others as well as themselves. They should treat others with dignity and respect along with working hard to be successful in whatever their field of interest.
The general public is always watching and they know who works hard, who shows respect, who shows compassion, and everything else.... they also know who does not.
If cheer leaders are not getting the respect they believe they should be getting, maybe they need to take a good look at how they are conducting themselves AS INDIVIDUALS AND AS A TEAM. Perception is Reality.
I think that was what i was saying is that the cheerleaders themselves are not the same as they were 20 years ago they don't conduct theirselves in a manner to get the respect we did 20 years ago. No I am not saying that every cheerleader behaves in this manner but for the most I agee with you they don't conduct thierselves in a manner that they should even get the respect we did 20 years ago.
BFritz Wrote:Not ALL cheerleaders are like that though
No, I didn't say that all cheerleaders are like that but if you tell the truth most of them do not respect their sponsor not do the cheerleaders as an individual nor as a team gets the respect we as ex-cheerleaders did.
I never thought of a cheerleader as a role model.. More so they were looked at as a targert to get to go to prom with you.. Or something along those lines.. Not being rude or disrespectful.. But in today's school's and stuff there aren't very many role models.. and cheerleaders aren't exactly at the top of the list as potential ones.
Well....UH..... I'm speechless!!!!
phs1986 Wrote:Well....UH..... I'm speechless!!!!
all I can say is:omg:
phs1986 Wrote:Well....UH..... I'm speechless!!!!

i have a feeling that was directed toward me.. so.. let me explain myself..

Today.. cheerleaders may be looked up to from the younger girls.. mostly the ones in about 5th or 6th grade.. Cause from what I have seen when most girls get to the 8th grade they start the drama.. they don't like the older girls. because they think they are hooches.. So instead of changing things.. they themselves grow up and do the same thing.. Now i'm not saying all of them do but for the most part of what i've seen.. And from the time that I graduated to now.. I've seen things get worse.. Such as cheerleaders, and other girls from the higher grades wanting to party more than the football players.. and I have personally seen a lot of these girls in a certain bar.. Now I know we all make mistakes.. and thank God for forgiveness.. But to me that isn't exactly role model material.. Hope that clears some of what i said up.
I believe what you're talking about is a harsh generalization. To "lump" every cheer leader into a "HOOCH" catagory is very reckless. As an Administrator on this site I would hope your next post would be worded more carefulluy. Your Mother was a cheer leader, as were your Aunts, let's remember that + most folks know what high school you attended and might infer that your varied knowledge on this subject could reflect poorly upon those girls. That sir, is incredibly unfair & short sided. I understand you're young and probably shooting from the hip on this one, but respectfully, I would say your calling every cheer leader a "hooch" and trying to imply they're 'bar flies" who could out drink a football player... to say all cheer leaders are like this is not right. (There may be some truth to what you're saying or trying to express rather indelicately, after having lived as long as I have, I have learned to understand & accept there are always going to be bad apples in everything, and branding children or groups of children is reckless and uncalled for.)
Actually, I tried to edit this but that damned 5 minute rule got me.

I believe what you're talking about is somewhat of a harsh generalization. To "lump" even some cheer leaders into a "HOOCH" catagory is very reckless. As an Administrator on this site I would hope your next post would be worded more carefully. Your Mother was a cheer leader, as were your Aunts, let's remember that + most folks know what high school you attended and might infer that your varied knowledge on this subject could reflect poorly upon those girls. That sir, is incredibly unfair & short sided. I understand you're young and probably shooting from the hip on this one, but respectfully, I would say your calling even some cheer leaders a "hooch" and trying to imply they're 'bar flies", who could "out drink a football player"... to say cheer leaders are like this, is not right. (There may be some truth to what you're saying or trying to express rather indelicately, after having lived as long as I have, I have learned to understand there are always going to be bad apples in everything, and branding children or groups of children is reckless and uncalled for.) And as far as your trying to preface some of your comments by saying "not to be rude or disrespectful" is tripe. You were being rude and you were being disrespectful and you were prolonging or aggravating this issue by holding a group of bad apples you might know for ridicule instead of telling us about some positive role models you might know if you indeed know any. If you do not know any... and I would think you would, I would hope they never find out how you feel about cheer leaders. Your first post gave the impression you think of them as "meat". If that isn't what you were trying to say, your 2nd post clarification dug the hole somewhat deeper and that is what has illicited my response. Perhaps getting out a bit more in other areas might help you with this.

I believe what you're talking about is somewhat of a harsh generalization. To "lump" even some cheer leaders into a "HOOCH" catagory is very reckless. As an Administrator on this site I would hope your next post would be worded more carefully. Your Mother was a cheer leader, as were your Aunts, let's remember that + most folks know what high school you attended and might infer that your varied knowledge on this subject could reflect poorly upon those girls. That sir, is incredibly unfair & short sided. I understand you're young and probably shooting from the hip on this one, but respectfully, I would say your calling even some cheer leaders a "hooch" and trying to imply they're 'bar flies", who could "out drink a football player"... to say cheer leaders are like this, is not right. (There may be some truth to what you're saying or trying to express rather indelicately, after having lived as long as I have, I have learned to understand there are always going to be bad apples in everything, and branding children or groups of children is reckless and uncalled for.) And as far as your trying to preface some of your comments by saying "not to be rude or disrespectful" is tripe. You were being rude and you were being disrespectful and you were prolonging or aggravating this issue by holding a group of bad apples you might know for ridicule instead of telling us about some positive role models you might know if you indeed know any. If you do not know any... and I would think you would, I would hope they never find out how you feel about cheer leaders. Your first post gave the impression you think of them as "meat". If that isn't what you were trying to say, your 2nd post clarification dug the hole somewhat deeper and that is what has illicited my response. Perhaps getting out a bit more in other areas might help you with this.
I agree with you! I was not saying that our cheerleaders now and are "hooches" only that they don't have to abide by the same rules that we did in the mid-eighties. We had alot more responsibilitie than the cheerleaders do today but at the same we did not spend all the time they do getting ready for compition as our cheerleaders do today. We were more into just cheerleading the games and making posters for the games. It is just a matter of times have changed. I am very disappointed that one of the administrators of this website looks down on our cheerleaders like he or she did. My daugher is a cheerleader and no she is not a "Hooch" and I think that Crazytaxidriver owes our cheerleader an apology because these girls work as hard as our ballplayers do and they do not get the respect they deserve. We as parents ,cheerleaders, and coaches have worked very to change this then someone like Crazytaxidriver makes a comment like that and takes away the respect that our cheerleaders deserve:flame:
I never said they were all like that.. and if people know what school i go to then good. maybe something can be done.. I don't post very much in this forum but if you go back and read some old posts in here, all i have done is said how much hard work they put into it and all that.. and also.. yes my mom and aunts were cheerleaders, but that was in the 70's and early 80's.. Things were different then.. Most people still had morals..

I'm sorry to the one's that don't fall into this category.. and my choice of words, I admit weren't the best. However, I'm just goin on personal experience.. and the question was are cheerleaders today as much of role models as 20 years ago.. My answer is no.. and while all these girls work hard at what they do, they are still immature and are goin to make mistakes. And the mistakes I've seen so many make bring me to the conclusion i gave...
And as for my first comment, well I was in high school then... and to think that high school boys look at high school girls as anything other than a friend or pontential date then that's kind of nieve.. Sure there are still some good kids out there.. But they are few and far between..

If you know me then you know that i have a 2 younger sisters, and a younger brother.. The brother happens to be a pretty decent football player at the school he goes to.. and is considered a role model, because he doesn't do anything but study and play football.. But he is still like any other raging hormonal high schooler... and i'm not goin to get into that..

As for my sisters, well I can't remember the times i would come home and just hear them go on about this that and the other..

Then i've even got cousins who used to cheer.. and I've heard their stories also..

I have nothing against cheerleaders, and once again I do apologize for anything i said that doesn't refer to some..

But show me one good and i can show you 2 bad.. and that's not just with cheerleaders that's with PEOPLE as a whole....
BAYPC CHEERBABE Wrote:II agree with you! I was not saying that our cheerleaders now and are "hooches" only that they don't have to abide by the same rules that we did in the mid-eighties. We had alot more responsibilitie than the cheerleaders do today but at the same we did not spend all the time they do getting ready for compition as our cheerleaders do today. We were more into just cheerleading the games and making posters for the games. It is just a matter of times have changed. I am very disappointed that one of the administrators of this website looks down on our cheerleaders like he or she did. My daugher is a cheerleader and no she is not a "Hooch" and I think that Crazytaxidriver owes our cheerleader an apology because these girls work as hard as our ballplayers do and they do not get the respect they deserve. We as parents ,cheerleaders, and coaches have worked very to change this then someone like Crazytaxidriver makes a comment like that and takes away the respect that our cheerleaders deserve:flame:

Okay... the highlighted part of this one has me... NOT bad or nothing.. but we did cheer games (EVERY 1 of them) when I cheered (82 through 86) BUT we also went to competitions... I mean.... we worked our tails off!!!! We worked on everything from stunts, (partner and group), gymnastics, floor, sideline, dance and anything else we could throw in to increase difficulty and make our team stronger. When I was a freshman we flew to Dallas, Texas to compete in nationals which we won a bid to from another competition, which was an invite from another competition!!! We didn't have to seperate for a dance team because our dance was incorporated into our routine. I know that things have changed TREMENDOUSLY!!! and I myself (this is my opinion) think that cheerleading is NOT the same as it was 20 years ago.. BUT if you do think about it... we were totally different from cheerleaders who cheered 10 to 15 years before us!!! Everything changes with the times.... Big Grin
Well, this may be the case for you we come from different schools and we were the under dogs. I also cheered from (82 to86). We were a small school and did not have enough cheerleaders to compete in compition so I guess I kinda jumped to the conclusion that all squads were like ours. Yes, I do remember Phelps, Johns Creek, Belfry, Elkhorn going to compition but Feds Creek never got to go alot. We went to Pikeville for Kapos my senior year and we didnt have a clue what we were doing. We did the best we could but we were a little pitful to watch. I think I got a little off track on my last post we are supposed to be discussing whether or not cheerleaders today are role models for the rest of the student body and the bottom line things have all around but I don't think that the cheerleaders are looked up to like we were.Yes times do change and that what makes the world go around. Somethings have changed for the best and some hasn't. Sorry if I insulted you or your past cheerleadering sqaud I don't know about you but I will always be a cheerleader at heart. I was only speaking of the way things were for me. Sorry!!!!!!!:Cheerlead
Hey.. no prob.... I don't get easily offended!! I remember a few pep's from Feds Creek and I was friends with a girl who cheered from Elkhorn... I think cheerleading helps to build a bond of friendship!! No problem hon!! Hope you didn't take mine outta context as well!!! Big Grin
I do not cheer but I talked to my mother and she siad that cheerleading today is not what is was when she cheered. She siad when she cheered the cheerleaders where role models because they went to the game to support the team and not be the ones wanting attention. Today the cheerleader at like it is a sport not saying it is not so clam down but she said you cheered for your team hint the word cheerleader you did not say stuff like I have heard at my school " why cheer our team sucks" that attitude is why less girls are cheering and it is no big deal today. "cheerleading is fun and should stay that way and not act like you are better then the TEAM you are cheering for cause without them you are not a cheerleader "if girls will remember that then things can change.
Times have changed! Are football, baseball, basketball or other athletes as good a role models now as in the past? I doubt so. There are good kids out there who play sports and cheer and make good role models. But times are different than 30 or 40 years ago. Also, cheerleading in the distant past was just that "cheerleading". Today, cheerleading is a sport!! Do you think that cheerleaders in the 60's spent even a fraction of the time practicing like cheerleaders do today??

IMO, as compared to other areas of society, be it other sports, business or whatever, people aren't the role models they once were. There is too much selfishness and pettiness today in our society. BUT there are always going to be good kids, good people and good role models in all areas. And yes, good cheerleaders!
Nice Post Sportster! I have been re-living the past so to speak after reading this post or maybe I should say thread..... I went back to some old yearbooks and was basically.... amazed!!! I checked out a 79 year book and the cheerleaders had on Knee high royal blue socks with pleated skirts and SWEATERS! OMG!!! When I cheered (4 years later) we wore jumpers, A-line skirts with a vest, and for football we wore warm-ups (nylon with PHS on them)... TOTALLY different!!! Don't get me wrong... BUT... IMO... I think that cheerleading started changing into a "sport" during the 80's... that is when we basically started competitions and doing much harder stunts and gymnastics.....things have changed and people weather the changes differently...... we just have to go with the flow and adjust!!! LOLOL... BUT... that really was a nice post!!!
phs1986 Wrote:Nice Post Sportster! I have been re-living the past so to speak after reading this post or maybe I should say thread..... I went back to some old yearbooks and was basically.... amazed!!! I checked out a 79 year book and the cheerleaders had on Knee high royal blue socks with pleated skirts and SWEATERS! OMG!!! When I cheered (4 years later) we wore jumpers, A-line skirts with a vest, and for football we wore warm-ups (nylon with PHS on them)... TOTALLY different!!! Don't get me wrong... BUT... IMO... I think that cheerleading started changing into a "sport" during the 80's... that is when we basically started competitions and doing much harder stunts and gymnastics.....things have changed and people weather the changes differently...... we just have to go with the flow and adjust!!! LOLOL... BUT... that really was a nice post!!!

you are also right....I can remember when I got my backhandspring, not everyone could do that, I think I was in 4th grade, but I was the STUFF, now can you imagine a cheerleader that can't do one? Unheard of. We had one uniform that our logos snapped on. Also could you imagine throwing the tumbling passes that our daughters throw in canvas keds?Our pom poms was almost as big as our hair!:Cheerlead ............boy those were the days!
I would say no.
"NO" to what??? LOL
As a former cheerleader...I must say that it has went down hill bad....like most everyone on this thread has been saying, its not what it used to be...nowadays cheerleaders are the ones in school who crave attention, they are more than likely popular, and probably even more boy crazy than anything...school spirit all together is just not what it used to be....there IS no spirit! Today, cheerleading is a waste of time IMO...
Are cheerleaders today as much role models as they were 20 years ago?
I must say no, but it's not just cheerleaders.
Kids(teenagers) are very different than they were 20 years ago.
IMO...twenty years ago it was the "bad kid" that stood out as being against the norm.
Now, a "good kid" is the one that gets singled out because the "good kid" is NOT the norm these days.
BAYPC CHEERBABE Wrote:I hate to say this but I think not.
haha i agree
Pages: 1 2