Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Pikeville 6th Grade team 20 Johns Creek 6 9/22/12
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
And the score could have been worse, at least 2 TD's called back, one by an obvious block in the back call against Pikeville (great call by the ref, and I'm a Pikeville fan), the other was a kinda questionable holding call on an interception returned for a TD. Game started off even, 6-6 at halftime, but Pikeville just pulled away in the 2nd half. Great job, kids! Keep working hard and improving every day!
Now, which team was this? I know that Pikeville played two different games at the Shelby Valley bowl on Saturday, this one and a later one against Martin Co. Someone told me that one team was all 6th graders, and the other was all 5th graders. Is this true?

If it is, congratulations. You certainly have gotten great participation from the student body if you have enough players in those two grades to field two separate teams.
Great job Panthers. Keep workng togather for a great future.
Yes the game with John's Creek consisted of Pikeville's 6th grade team, which I think has about 25 players. The game against Martin Co was Pikeville's 5th grade team which I think has almost 30 players. So yes they have 2 seperate teams. I was told they play each other quite often and its usually a very competetive game. Sounds like they are getting some good numbers, which seems to be a a good step towards eliminating the low numbers issue at the high school level.
Micro-Brew Wrote:Yes the game with John's Creek consisted of Pikeville's 6th grade team, which I think has about 25 players. The game against Martin Co was Pikeville's 5th grade team which I think has almost 30 players. So yes they have 2 seperate teams. I was told they play each other quite often and its usually a very competetive game. Sounds like they are getting some good numbers, which seems to be a a good step towards eliminating the low numbers issue at the high school level.

So that makes about 55 players total for the 5th and 6th grades? Very impressive, especially for a school the size of Pikeville. I think Shelby Valley has about half that many on their 5th/6th grade team. You guys must have almost every single male student in those grades coming out to play football!

Congrats on both the wins.
More Cowbell Wrote:So that makes about 55 players total for the 5th and 6th grades? Very impressive, especially for a school the size of Pikeville. I think Shelby Valley has about half that many on their 5th/6th grade team. You guys must have almost every single male student in those grades coming out to play football!

Congrats on both the wins.
We actually we have closer to 50 but still a great turnout.
More Cowbell Wrote:Now, which team was this? I know that Pikeville played two different games at the Shelby Valley bowl on Saturday, this one and a later one against Martin Co. Someone told me that one team was all 6th graders, and the other was all 5th graders. Is this true?

If it is, congratulations. You certainly have gotten great participation from the student body if you have enough players in those two grades to field two separate teams.
This was the 6th graders only. 2nd game (against Martin County) was 5th graders only. And yes, when they play each other, very competitive usually. Although the 6th graders did defeat the 5th graders in the most recent game something like 28-6. But it was closer than the score indicates, really. Very good numbers turning out this year, IMO. Lots of good young talent too.
PHSForever Wrote:This was the 6th graders only. 2nd game (against Martin County) was 5th graders only. And yes, when they play each other, very competitive usually. Although the 6th graders did defeat the 5th graders in the most recent game something like 28-6. But it was closer than the score indicates, really. Very good numbers turning out this year, IMO. Lots of good young talent too.

Future could be very good if these kids keep it going right on up through high school. Certainly hope so.:Thumbs:
50 kids in two grades for a single-A school is unreal.
new o Wrote:50 kids in two grades for a single-A school is unreal.
And there's even more in the 2, 3, 4th grade league (all play together, not seperated like 5th and 6th), although I'm sure there will be attrition, some will drop away from football, etc. The coaches and school have done a really good job trying to build the feeder program back up over the last few years. Been some lumps and bumps along the way, but when it had gone down as bad as it had, that is to be expected. I honestly think Pikeville is getting ready to hit another run like we had in the 80's and 90's. Does that transalate to state championships? No, not guaranteeing that, but there will be some special teams for sure with the capability.
The numbers I saw at Bob Amos for practices the other night was unreal. I really hope they can keep those numbers up because it is good for everyone involved. Even the kids that might not play much.

Very excited about the 5th grade group. I coached a few of them in AAU last year and they are great kids. And you have the potential for 2 or 3 studs in this group. Jackson Hensley is just a straight up football player, his dad was the Jr. High coach the past few years and did a great job, so it is no surprise that Jackson is a natural. Seth Pugh, younger brother of Daric and Wes Pugh could also be a great player. Very athletic and good genes. Then you have Nate Brown who will miss the remainder of the season with a broken leg, who is the son of 1989 PHS Grad Jody Brown who was a very good player during the dynasty years. Brody Birchfield, son of Barry Birchfield is another kid I just think will be a solid football player. He may not ever be that "wow" guy, but will be a very dependable, coachable kid with a great attitude. And on the line, you have potential for a very good line both ways. Jackson Mullins is a big kid that in basketball didn't mind to get into down low, which is a good sign for the line. If this group stays together, they also have kids like Brooks Williams and Peyton Blair that will develop into nice athletes when they have time to mature physically.

This group is what I would say could be the next great group. With a decent 6th grade, and good 8th grade, this group could add a lot of energy to the 2016 season. With potential for great 2018 and 2019 seasons.

And THAT is what you call looking ahead. lol No pressure guys!
Do you know how much longer Pikeville 5th or 6th is going to play this year???

Hazard was looking for games in next 2 to 3 weeks, thought maybe Pikeville would play,,, we would come over their.

Hazard also has 3rd/4th if inerested.
CADEREECE Wrote:Do you know how much longer Pikeville 5th or 6th is going to play this year???

Hazard was looking for games in next 2 to 3 weeks, thought maybe Pikeville would play,,, we would come over their.

I will let the 5th grade coach know. Not sure how long they are going to play. It doesn't seem like they have played too awful much this year yet.

EDIT: Check your PMs.
CADEREECE Wrote:Do you know how much longer Pikeville 5th or 6th is going to play this year???

Contact Israel Howard the elementary AD at 606-213-1173 . We have games scheduled until the 27th of Oct and I know the 6th grade will definately play.
Panther Thunder Wrote:The numbers I saw at Bob Amos for practices the other night was unreal. I really hope they can keep those numbers up because it is good for everyone involved. Even the kids that might not play much.

Very excited about the 5th grade group. I coached a few of them in AAU last year and they are great kids. And you have the potential for 2 or 3 studs in this group. Jackson Hensley is just a straight up football player, his dad was the Jr. High coach the past few years and did a great job, so it is no surprise that Jackson is a natural. Seth Pugh, younger brother of Daric and Wes Pugh could also be a great player. Very athletic and good genes. Then you have Nate Brown who will miss the remainder of the season with a broken leg, who is the son of 1989 PHS Grad Jodie Brown who was a very good player during the dynasty years. Brody Birchfield, son of Barry Birchfield is another kid I just think will be a solid football player. He may not ever be that "wow" guy, but will be a very dependable, coachable kid with a great attitude. And on the line, you have potential for a very good line both ways. Jackson Mullins is a big kid that in basketball didn't mind to get into down low, which is a good sign for the line. If this group stays together, they also have kids like Brooks Williams and Peyton Blair that will develop into nice athletes when they have time to mature physically.

This group is what I would say could be the next great group. With a decent 6th grade, and good 8th grade, this group could add a lot of energy to the 2016 season. With potential for great 2018 and 2019 seasons.

And THAT is what you call looking ahead. lol No pressure guys!
Definitely agree the 5th grade has some studs in the making. Don't completely overlook the 6th grade, some very good players there too. Got a couple of real "ballers" and a ton of solid kids who can develop even more with continued good coaching as they get older. But yeah, these next few years will be exciting again for Pikeville fans.
jmhsrv1970 Wrote:Contact Israel Howard the elementary AD at 606-213-1173 . We have games scheduled until the 27th of Oct and I know the 6th grade will definately play.

Thanks, talked to Coach Hensley this morning, we worked something out
PHSForever Wrote:Definitely agree the 5th grade has some studs in the making. Don't completely overlook the 6th grade, some very good players there too. Got a couple of real "ballers" and a ton of solid kids who can develop even more with continued good coaching as they get older. But yeah, these next few years will be exciting again for Pikeville fans.
My nephew is on the 6th grade team, but with so many prior obligations, I haven't been able to see any games. I base a lot of what I know off Little League I reffed a couple years ago. I was really upset to hear Jante (sp?) is no longer at Pikeville. He was the best looking natural athlete I have seen in the feeder program in a while. And understand more good ones may have to relocate due to their parents' jobs.

I really hope to catch a game of both before the season is over. I know Josh is a potential player, any other names to get familiar with?
Panther Thunder Wrote:My nephew is on the 6th grade team, but with so many prior obligations, I haven't been able to see any games. I base a lot of what I know off Little League I reffed a couple years ago. I was really upset to hear Jante (sp?) is no longer at Pikeville. He was the best looking natural athlete I have seen in the feeder program in a while. And understand more good ones may have to relocate due to their parents' jobs.

I really hope to catch a game of both before the season is over. I know Josh is a potential player, any other names to get familiar with?
Yeah, Jantje relocated back north due to his family. Sad to see him go, excellent natural athlete. Josh is a player, so is the QB/DB, he is really coming on. Be on the lookout as well for the kid playing FB and LB, and a bunch of others. I hate naming them here, always feel like I'm going to leave someone out because they are all good kids. Of course, my son, as well (I'm biased though). I will PM you with the names. Only mentioned Josh and Jantje because you already had.
Panther Thunder Wrote:My nephew is on the 6th grade team, but with so many prior obligations, I haven't been able to see any games. I base a lot of what I know off Little League I reffed a couple years ago. I was really upset to hear Jante (sp?) is no longer at Pikeville. He was the best looking natural athlete I have seen in the feeder program in a while. And understand more good ones may have to relocate due to their parents' jobs.

There are a number of players that show a great deal of potential. Josh Youn g has carried the ball extremely well this year at tailback.Eric Heilman has really come into his own at fullback, and Campbell Dawahare is become a leader as well as an outstanding player at QB. The offensive and defensive line are becoming very consistant and have picked up the defensive scheme well. They have beaten Johns Creek (they play again the 9th at Johns Creek)and have beaten the 5th grade the last 2 times thay have played. They have Hazard and Lexington Christian as well as Allen, which should be a test for them.