Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Favorite to win Pike Co. Championship
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Who is your pick
I would say belfry is the overwhelming favorite to win with pike central a distant second. It will probably be one of the few times in history that a team can win the county championship and get their driver's license in the same year......Confusednicker:
I think pike central and belfry are the only two with a chance, then pikeville is a very distant 3rd.
JIMLEE58 Wrote:I would say belfry is the overwhelming favorite to win with pike central a distant second. It will probably be one of the few times in history that a team can win the county championship and get their driver's license in the same year......Confusednicker:

Ol buddy this funny because over half of Pike Central team are holdbacks we have four and they all don't start.
Always someone to complain about something. This whats wrong with America we make excuses and blame other people. We never want to accept the fact that some people are just better. Southern Pulaski is the best team in the state, they have a ton of hold backs and as far as I know they will all be eligible for their senior year. Does it suck for the rest of the teams that can't beat them? Of course but that just brings their entire state to another level because we have to rise to their level. Holdbacks or start lates are all the same. If you are complaining because your kid isn't as old as everyone else it is your problem and not theirs. Bill Gates has more money than me, should he be forced to make the same as me? For every dominate hold back I'm sure there are two or three that you don't notice. If there is any team in the state playing all 13 year olds ten maybe they can speak up but every one else will have at least a couple kids that turn 15 before they finish 8th grade. Any time that everyone has tw same chance to do something like holdback and try choose not to it isn't anyone's fault. It's your choice!
Whoa!!! Just having a little fun with a well known fact.I'm not complaining or making excuses, not accusing anyone of doing anything illegal, and am perfectly aware that, if my child and I choose to waste a year of his life for the sake of a sport that is much more likely to leave him with a limp than a college scholarship, it is our right. He's a true to age 8th grader who is an honor student,taking high school algebra,as well as, regular math,and well on his way to preparing for college.I'm much more proud of that than any athletic accolades he might accomplish at any age. Holding a child back for sports is perfectly legal and everyones right....but that doesn't always make it morally sound. If you didn't feel a little guilty about it, maybe you wouldn't be so quick to judge others who have chosen not to jump on board with the "trend".
Holding kids back is something every school does now. Like JIM LEE said, it is perfectly legal and Belfry is byfar not the only one that does it. Past two years I belive Shelby Valley's Tight end drove the bus to Pond creek to face the little pirates. Holding back can help and hurt. Some kids just arent that big and need another year to grow to play with the bigger kids. Other thn that, actually being behind in school work is the only other reason i can think of for holding a kid back.
I thank it's funny that we would be talking about this almost everyone in the Co. has been doing this for a while this is the first time we had a holdback on our team.
i think PC is the team to do.
baller32 Wrote:I think pike central and belfry are the only two with a chance, then pikeville is a very distant 3rd.

he's right but i think pc can beat belfry.
I think pike central is the only team that could possibly beat belfry, and belfry is the only team that can beat pike central.
RichBrooks Wrote:Always someone to complain about something. This whats wrong with America we make excuses and blame other people. We never want to accept the fact that some people are just better. Southern Pulaski is the best team in the state, they have a ton of hold backs and as far as I know they will all be eligible for their senior year. Does it suck for the rest of the teams that can't beat them? Of course but that just brings their entire state to another level because we have to rise to their level. Holdbacks or start lates are all the same. If you are complaining because your kid isn't as old as everyone else it is your problem and not theirs. Bill Gates has more money than me, should he be forced to make the same as me? For every dominate hold back I'm sure there are two or three that you don't notice. If there is any team in the state playing all 13 year olds ten maybe they can speak up but every one else will have at least a couple kids that turn 15 before they finish 8th grade. Any time that everyone has tw same chance to do something like holdback and try choose not to it isn't anyone's fault. It's your choice!

The problem with this argument is that this is not an excuse as to what is wrong with America, it is teaching kids that if you can't compete with your class lets water down the competition so you can. Bill Gates financial staus has nothing to do with holdbacks nor does yours. It is true every school has holdbacks, however the parents have to agree to this also, and theirin lies the problem.
the rule states under 15 until Aug 1st. So if you are within the rules how are you atering down the product? Aren't students who are 19 still older than students who are 17-18? Won't they still have to compete for the same scholarships? Any chance to give a kid an extra year at school or sports to improve their chance at getting into and completely college is a choice I will choose for my children. If you or anyone else disagrees that is your right, but don't be upset that someone is taking advantage of something that you have the same right to do.

This argument will never end. But the fact that parents who have the same opportunities always turn to age as an EXCUSE to why their athletes aren't perfoming on the same level and demeaning other teams who maximize their potential is ridiculous.
foriegn flatlander Wrote:The problem with this argument is that this is not an excuse as to what is wrong with America, it is teaching kids that if you can't compete with your class lets water down the competition so you can. Bill Gates financial staus has nothing to do with holdbacks nor does yours. It is true every school has holdbacks, however the parents have to agree to this also, and theirin lies the problem.

I'm curious as to your stance on this view. What's the difference in a parent starting their child a year later in kindergarten and a parent holding their child back a year in the 6th grade?
RichBrooks Wrote:the rule states under 15 until Aug 1st. So if you are within the rules how are you atering down the product? Aren't students who are 19 still older than students who are 17-18? Won't they still have to compete for the same scholarships? Any chance to give a kid an extra year at school or sports to improve their chance at getting into and completely college is a choice I will choose for my children. If you or anyone else disagrees that is your right, but don't be upset that someone is taking advantage of something that you have the same right to do.

This argument will never end. But the fact that parents who have the same opportunities always turn to age as an EXCUSE to why their athletes aren't perfoming on the same level and demeaning other teams who maximize their potential is ridiculous.

This was a post on who will win Pike championship but, since you want to use it as a forum on holdbacks I will answer your questions. You are right as to what the rules state. However as you said any chance to give my child an advantage by holding them back IS watering down competition because your child could not compete at his own age level. I would also like too see any info you have as to holdbacks receiving more college scholarships than non holdbacks either academically or in sports. Thirdly who is using the excuse when their kids aren't performing at the same level ? hmmmmmm
As to starting kids late vs holdback, I know of no one who can look at a 5 or 6 year old kid and say what kind of athelete he will be but when you holdback in 6th, 7th, or 8th grade you do. I understand the rules and I am not suggesting they change them I am simply saying it is not apples to apples. When you see holdbacks that are making good grades, are as big as an other kid their age, and have no other issues, then the reason the are being held back is simply to try to get an advantage in elementary or middle school sports
When our school holds kids back we are always thinking of the future, high school and college. As for apples to apples, under 15 is under 15. If you choose to let your child be 12 or 13 then that's your choice. I have never looked at a kid holding back for the purpose of middle school sports.

I'm sure you are ready with your statistics showing how a 17 year old senior is more likely to get a scholarship than a 19 year old? If you can show me that believe me it will most likely change my mind. I'm not trying to change your mind I'm simply responding to the comment about players driving to the game from above.
RichBrooks Wrote:When our school holds kids back we are always thinking of the future, high school and college. As for apples to apples, under 15 is under 15. If you choose to let your child be 12 or 13 then that's your choice. I have never looked at a kid holding back for the purpose of middle school sports.

I'm sure you are ready with your statistics showing how a 17 year old senior is more likely to get a scholarship than a 19 year old? If you can show me that believe me it will most likely change my mind. I'm not trying to change your mind I'm simply responding to the comment about players driving to the game from above.

I wish I could follow your logic but I just don't see it. You simply missed my point (reread my thread). And you are mistaken ,I am not trying to change your mind I simply am stating my opinion which is what this is all about. I am convinced we will have to agree to disagree.
As for the tight end for Shelby Valley, I noticed other teams laughing at him when he was an 11 year old 7th grader but when he stayed back it wasn't funny anymore. Discussion easily resolved, do what you want with your kids and let others do what they want. I do recall a Harrison kid from Belfry that was the County MVP in basketball that was too old his senior year and was ruled ineligible by the KHSAA.
Belfry will win it this year because they are the better team, not because of age. They are well coached,athletic and play Belfry football.
99piratefan, TJ was a holdback last year so this year is not the first year they have had holdbacks.
new o Wrote:As for the tight end for Shelby Valley, I noticed other teams laughing at him when he was an 11 year old 7th grader but when he stayed back it wasn't funny anymore. Discussion easily resolved, do what you want with your kids and let others do what they want. I do recall a Harrison kid from Belfry that was the County MVP in basketball that was too old his senior year and was ruled ineligible by the KHSAA.
Belfry will win it this year because they are the better team, not because of age. They are well coached,athletic and play Belfry football.
99piratefan, TJ was a holdback last year so this year is not the first year they have had holdbacks.

i'm sorry i forgot Tj was a holdback.
i really don't care what you people thank say what you want.
new o Wrote:As for the tight end for Shelby Valley, I noticed other teams laughing at him when he was an 11 year old 7th grader but when he stayed back it wasn't funny anymore. Discussion easily resolved, do what you want with your kids and let others do what they want. I do recall a Harrison kid from Belfry that was the County MVP in basketball that was too old his senior year and was ruled ineligible by the KHSAA.

Hairston was not a holdback, Hairston missed 2 seperate years of school because he had a rough home life and lost his home in a fire, and the KHSAA almost granted him a hardship. As for the issue of holdbacks, if they're under 15 on August 1st, they play. Simple as that. Same rule for Belfry, Valley, ER, Pikeville, PCC, and Phelps ... if you think it's immoral for a kid to get an extra year of EDUCATION and another year to mature before high school, then so be it...
If the spelling and grammar on this post is any indication,they could use an extra year of EDUCATION
Belfry0304 Wrote:Hairston was not a holdback, Hairston missed 2 seperate years of school because he had a rough home life and lost his home in a fire, and the KHSAA almost granted him a hardship. As for the issue of holdbacks, if they're under 15 on August 1st, they play. Simple as that. Same rule for Belfry, Valley, ER, Pikeville, PCC, and Phelps ... if you think it's immoral for a kid to get an extra year of EDUCATION and another year to mature before high school, then so be it...

I am a big supporter of holding kids back because in todays society both parents have to work which forces parents to start kids in school at a very young age. Nothing immoral about doing whats best for their kids. They do it statewide.
What reason was given by the teams from the East Ridge & Shelby Valley areas that led to the forfeiting of their games against Belfry Middle School.....that shows very little class by the 2 programs!!!!!
prob needed players to finish the season Belfry is BEAST!!!