Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: June Buchanan
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Does anyone know how good they will be this year? did they get any transfers? do they have talent at the school?
Got a few boys from Wesley Christian and a transfer from canada Lazarus Teny
What Wesley kids went there?
ison,kidd,hall
dang
Hell yea, some more transfers for the mountains....
That Hall kid is gonna be hard to handle, with his size he can easily dunk and block shots. KCC is gonna have a hard time if he is guarding justice.
Was told by a pretty good source. That Kasongo and a couple others (No other names mentioned) were at JBS's shoot around/practice this evening.

What's up with this?
The mountain's are just loading up on transfer's
^Just alittle far from ER though. Don't ya think.
Dont think they will hold up good their first season back. Defiantly got the talent now if the transfer are true though.
What is up with mountains getting so many transfers. It is about time we get a few tranfers on this end of the state.
I'd like to see them do good in their first year back, that's for sure.
I know JBS had a squad a few years back then they just dropped off the radar.
Hopefully they can stir things up a little bit more in the 14th once again.
Is Sean Damron the Head Coach at JBS? I heard he was, I heard he wasnt. Just wonderin.
Jerry Manns is the head coach
Glad they're getting their program back.
it is good to see this team back in action. Knott needs someone to shut them down.
Againstme! Wrote:it is good to see this team back in action. Knott needs someone to shut them down.

Wouldn't count on it this year.
or the next few years...
I know the boy from Canada is true. Is the boys from Wesley true?
They should be pretty good, I heard they have got 3 guys in this year from transfer and have shown some promise. Could be wrong, just what i have heard.
Just heard the boy from Canada went back. also the 3 boys from Wesley i seen play over the summer. They are not ready to compete with teams like knott, Perry, and hazard.
I'm hearing JBS most likely will not have a team!
I spoke with Coach Manns yesterday and everything was great. What has happened?
glade to see jbs back on track
What's the latest on this team? Who are the coaches?
OK this Jerry Manns , What experience does he have , I mean where has he coached ? How old is he ? Where did he play ? If he hasn't coached or asst. coached for years nor played for a college somewhere then unless he gets alot of canada boys . He will not even compete in the 14th or against Knott and Perry .
bluebloodedcatfan Wrote:OK this Jerry Manns , What experience does he have , I mean where has he coached ? How old is he ? Where did he play ? If he hasn't coached or asst. coached for years nor played for a college somewhere then unless he gets alot of canada boys . He will not even compete in the 14th or against Knott and Perry .

I don't know anything about Jerry Manns or JBS and I don't get on this site a lot. However, your post may have been one of the most poorly constructed I've ever seen from a grammar and punctuation standpoint. Slow down and sharpen that axe a little bit more before you start to grind it in someone. Your venom would be much more affective. :HitWall:
(10-26-2012, 09:22 PM)bluebloodedcatfan Wrote: [ -> ]OK this Jerry Manns , What experience does he have , I mean where has he coached ? How old is he ? Where did he play ? If he hasn't coached or asst. coached for years nor played for a college somewhere then unless he gets alot of canada boys . He will not even compete in the 14th or against Knott and Perry .
I know this is REALLY old, was searching old high school greats names, seeing what I could find.. Jerry Manns is known to those from 58th District that go back to late 60's as 1 of the best players to not only play in that time, but EVER in the Mtns. Was 5'10" white guard who LITERALLY FOR REAL, RUN HIS FOREARM down the rim dunking! He was All State honors, voted to 1 50 greatest 15th Region team Ik of.. Funny how some names catch on and stand the test of time, others not as much. He was drafted into the army right out of high school, spent 2yrs in Korea, where they had a large basketball league. But this was a time of the draft, not just those wanting to pursue an army career, and a place the competition was def a notch higher than High School.. His family is very close to mine. I've seen newspaper articles from the Army's newspaper, weekly sports page, enough teams, played full season, 2 divisions. He started on a team with 3 other black guys, and a Puerto Rican guard beside him. He led his team bk 2 bk titles, and they did a full spread on him before his hitch was up, where he had scored 82 points in an overtime win, with no three-point line in which they state his favorite shot was a pull up 25 footer! When the season was over, they picked an All-Star team, and scrimmaged teams from around including the Korean/National & Olympic team to help them prepare for World's and Olympics.. Of course in 3 exhibitions they lost.. But he was awarded player of the game twice on losing effort, with 56, 38, and his worst outing 21.. Said he avg 36pts per game.. Avg 20 some in high school.. I have photos of the articles.. He then returned, start basketball career was over since had to go to the Army, and rap when he was starting to work when he got home, he was playing in independent basketball leagues, that were very competitive in those days, and Kenny rice is from Garrett, went on to work for ESPN, calling horse races all the way to MMA on fx was the reporter.. had several write-ups on him, and it was there the late Jim Rose, played Wheelwright H.S. freshman ball at UK for Rupp, then Soutwest Missouri State, and put in their athletic Hall of Fame, also played Semi-Pro ball. But he saw him playing, and he had just taken his first coaching job at Alice Lloyd College, talked Jerry into playing. Was there Jerry and Jim especially told us many times Western Ky, who in the 1970s was a top 25 program almost every year, came recruiting him extremely hard, telling him that he had a very good team and they needed one more guard in their starting lineup, That Could score, that they had a good point guard and later to run the team, but they needed a guy who could fill it up. They offered him a full scholarship, and basically told him and recruited him to come there to start. They're at Alice Lloyd is where he met his wife though, ended up not going and stain at home, which when it comes to the sports bar. He always regretted terribly. Because that next season Western Kentucky team went on to beat Kentucky and go pick her up in the NCAA tournament, giving cover up his worst loss in the tournament at Kentucky, then beating Ohio State to go to the Final Four! There he would have been a starting player in the final four, in which the other three teams were they, Kansas, and you CLA with the great John Wooden! Western lost in overtime to Villanova, and in those days they still played a third-place consolation game, and their Western Kentucky would beat Kansas in a close game to finish 3rd place in the NCAA tourney! Coach Rose had said many times that Jerry Manns was the ONLY player he coached or saw that could out quick and out jump the majority of the other black guards he played against, that at the very least was just as quick and jump right with.. His longtime teammate and best friend, long time Allen Central Coach and KHSAA Hall of Famer as a Coach, Johnny Martin, over 600 wins, said Jerry still one of the best he seen in high school, just on another level, and that as good as he was, once he returned from the army, that there was nobody around that could remotely handle him in the area.. Cool part, probably reason his name doesn't carry like some, he NEVER toots his own horn, very humble man.. Minister, and a Coach who coached many many yrs, Head & Ast.. Ast to Johnny Martin a long time, and not bc he wanted to, it was every off season, even up til recently he is called upon and offered a job to sit on bench and help all over the 15th Region, bc he is known as 1 of the absolute best basketball minds you will find around! Ik at JBS, he told them from the get-go when he was too old to drive over there everyday, if you couldn't and do things his way and them let him help build a program that made other kids want to come and successful. They could hardly fill out a roster, after restarting the program, they brought some of the kids from out of the country, and his first team was very close to being a team that could have play with anyone in the state. As he had 3 Canadians, Lazarus Teny, Juwan Lynch, and the really big time player Munis Tutu! They would scrimmage ALC JV and wear them out, finally ALC Coach wouldn't scrimmage them anymore.. Tutu went home to play in a big AAU event, was set to return, already enrolled. This event they rank them by class, Canada this is. He finished as top rated pg in class for the event, was seen by high national program La Lumiere High School in Indiana.. Same school K.Brooks from. They talked him into coming there instead. He ran the pg, hit game winning ft's to beat Oak hill in nationals.. His big man was Isaac Humphries who played at UK a cpl seasons.. Tutu went on to play College at Fresno St.. But Manns plan was not to load roster with those kids like Cordia.. But bring in 2, 3 tops, every 2 seasons.. So when 2 were playing their Jr & Sr seasons, had 2 playing Fr & then Soph when other 2 were Sr's.. With idea that other good players locally would want to come play with them, besides the one's developed already there.. 1st season they competed well, but Lynch got homesick and went home.. Left with just Teny.. Who was 6'2" athletic guard.. Then realized the kids from Africa etc were so much more humble, so thankful to just be here, have 3 meals, good shoes, which when I tell you there is no better man, I would bet ANYONE you find that knows him, whether thru sports or as a Preacher, says he is as fine as a man that you could meet.. As honest, humble person I know.. But also extremely humorous and funny.. Never met anyone to bad mouth him that knows him.. But anyway JBS switched from saying they would let him have a couple of seasons to do it his way see what he could do, to saying it didn't look good bringing in more kids. That they were not for doing that. He simply told them like he did that he was too old to make the drive all the way up into Caney to JBS to try and Coach miss grandson little grade school games to not be able to compete.. That if they wanted to go that route, he found it was better to give it to someone who's young and trying to make a coaching career.. didn't feel right about being away from family and getting paid to put all that time into coach a short-handed roster oh, that just couldn't compete in the 14th. The only reason he took it was that you reached out to him to check his interest, and told him up front that he could have a couple Seasons to see if he could get the program going, and the only way at the time was to get outside help. They ended up replacing him after he stepped down with Elisha Justice, who is like family to him, as he is going to church for 30 some years with Elisha's father and mother, and actually was the first person to hang up a basketball goal for Elisha.. Lol he ended up helping start small Garrett Christian Academy, that eventually was closed due to lack of funds. Which was a shame because they had spent a lot of money on land being cleared and prepare to build a k through 12 school that was going to be a private school, that I had a program to wear kids from a low-income family qualified to attend for free. It was there that kids from Allen Central and Knott County Central and a few others came there, and he won 3 straight KCHSAA State Titles! (Kentucky Christian) placed 6th nationally 1 season.. Sent cpl kids to NAIA colleges.. 
Last story, 1st person, when his son was in 8th grade, he was in late 40's, ran a lot, stayed in really good shape. Was after a practice I saw him make 163 ft's in a row, another time 42 3pt in a row.. Another time 64 of 70 moving catch and shoot, mid range to 3pt.. Had 1 most beautiful strokes I seen.. But so did his son, now his grandson who is 6'5" wing, plays at Pikeville for Elisha Justice also has.. Will be a Sr. just took some visits to NCAA D-2 schools.. Anyway, he is such a great story, that is Jerry, that when I saw this as part of the search for his name, I thought it would only be right for someone who didn't know anything about him around this area, too know the backstory of on a tremendous player he was.
Could you type that again real quick?
Pages: 1 2