Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: SEC still weak?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Quote of the week from the Sportng News....

Putting two teams in the Final Four was impressive, but it didn't make the SEC this season's dominant conference anymore than it did for the Big 10 in 2005. The season lasts five months, not three weeks", Mike DeCourcy
True but it doesn't matter who wins the battles people remember who won the WAR!
Well, they say that the Big East was the best conference ...Funny that NONE OF THEM made it to the Final Four.
CatDawg Wrote:True but it doesn't matter who wins the battles people remember who won the WAR!

AMEN!!:Clap:
I have a nice story from a Newspaper in the Northeast I'll try to post the link later.
98NCCalum Wrote:Quote of the week from the Sportng News....

Putting two teams in the Final Four was impressive, but it didn't make the SEC this season's dominant conference anymore than it did for the Big 10 in 2005. The season lasts five months, not three weeks", Mike DeCourcy

Rolleyes Some people will never know or understand. :moon:
BelfryPride Wrote:Well, they say that the Big East was the best conference ...Funny that NONE OF THEM made it to the Final Four.
You just made his point.
End of the season is all that matters, not the first 5 months....The SEC was the strongest this year, and anybody that tries to argue it just hates the SEC....2 teams in the Final Four, National Champion, and NIT Champion....SEC was the strongest when it mattered, therefore they were the best conference...
alfus21 Wrote:End of the season is all that matters, not the first 5 months....The SEC was the strongest this year, and anybody that tries to argue it just hates the SEC....2 teams in the Final Four, National Champion, and NIT Champion....SEC was the strongest when it mattered, therefore they were the best conference...

I agree with you on this one.

:thumpsup: :popcorn: :thumpsup:
Next year will validate the entire SEC more than this year IMO...

The same thing was said about the Big Ten last year, and they put two in. Often times I think it's to the advantage of the top teams in the fourth or fifth best regular season conference because they dont have to face as many "quality" teams, saving themselves for tournament play....
NIT Champion, no you id not say that!!! YES THE SEC HAD THE 66TH BEST TEAM IN THE COUNTRY, EVERYONE CELEBRATE!!!!
the sec had #1 and #66
Just remember that the #66 team should have been in over Seton Hall and they beat the Number 1 Gators twice and almost a third time. It certainly proves that at the right time they were one of the hottest teams playing over the last 2 weeks of regular season and post season.
yea south carolina should have been in there
98NCCalum Wrote:NIT Champion, no you id not say that!!! YES THE SEC HAD THE 66TH BEST TEAM IN THE COUNTRY, EVERYONE CELEBRATE!!!!

Yeah and that's a hell of a lot more than two BEast teams called Cinci and Louisville can say....right?
alfus21 Wrote:Yeah and that's a hell of a lot more than two BEast teams called Cinci and Louisville can say....right?

:flame: 98

There is no argument really. the SEC got it done when it mattered. You can talkk all your ACC or your Bige East crap. But the truth is, The SEC had more final four teams then the ACC, Big East, Big 12, Big 10, and the PAC 10 COMBINED.

:flame: 98
alfus21 Wrote:End of the season is all that matters, not the first 5 months....The SEC was the strongest this year, and anybody that tries to argue it just hates the SEC....2 teams in the Final Four, National Champion, and NIT Champion....SEC was the strongest when it mattered, therefore they were the best conference...
Alfus i have to say that i agree 100% and what i cant figure out is why is the SEC being hated on now???? this post season showed that the SEC is often overlooked and underrated. and this guy's comments helps prove my points about bias in the media towards the Big East and most def the ACC....
98NCCalum Wrote:NIT Champion, no you id not say that!!! YES THE SEC HAD THE 66TH BEST TEAM IN THE COUNTRY, EVERYONE CELEBRATE!!!!

Jealously is so ugly :1:
By Cam Huffman - Sports Editor
Credit where credit is due

Monday night while the Florida Gators were celebrating their NCAA Championship and CBS was airing its annual video tribute to March Madness, I suddenly began to hear a different tune.
While I knew that “One Shining Moment” was blasting out of my television’s speakers, what kept ringing in my ears was one line from an old Sawyer Brown tune. Every time Florida’s Joakim Noah blocked a shot or Lee Humphrey nailed another jumper, lead singer Mark Miller would sing, “I’ve got to give credit where credit is due.”
It didn’t take long to determine the meaning of the message. All season long I have pumped up the Big East Conference, even going as far as to call it the best basketball conference in the history of the game. I labeled the new league as the country’s best basketball conference time and time again, stating it not as an opinion but an established fact.
But as I looked back on the 2005-06 basketball season when everything was said and done Monday night, I couldn’t help but re-evaluate that assessment. Maybe while Dick Vitale, Digger Phelps and I were trying to separate the Big East from the ACC, the best basketball around was really right under our nose in the heart of football country.
As Sawyer Brown explained to me over and over Monday night, you have to give credit where it belongs, and the Southeastern Conference deserves some recognition.
I base this belief not on Florida’s run to the championship alone — although the Gators were quite impressive and never really challenged along the way — but instead on the conference’s play overall this postseason.
While many predicted that the Big East would put as many as three teams into the Final Four and almost every “expert” picked either Duke, Connecticut or Villanova to win the trophy, the SEC quietly went about its business of knocking down everything in its path.
While the Big East set a record by placing eight teams in this year’s 65-team field — and I do feel that eight deserved to be included, although Seton Hall likely should have been left out in favor of Cincinnati — the SEC flew in a little under the radar with six.
In the end, though, the mighty Big East did not put even one of its eight in the Final Four, while the SEC sent both LSU and Florida to Indianapolis.
I can hear Hampshire head baseball coach Steve Ujcic yelling already — not that yelling is anything new for the fiery coach — “What about the ACC?” Ujcic was screaming the same thing just one day before Georgetown ended Duke’s winning streak during the regular season, and he hasn’t stopped since.
Well Mr. Ujcic, the ACC, the other supposed basketball powerhouse, put just three teams in the tournament field, and only Duke made any sort of run at all. The Blue Devils, though, were eliminated in the Sweet 16 by LSU. What conference does LSU represent? If you said the SEC, give yourself five points.
I think it is clear that the SEC came out on top in this year’s tournament.
The next obvious argument concerns which league is best from top to bottom. Although it is difficult to argue against a Big East Conference that placed eight teams in the NCAA Tournament and four other members in the NIT for a total of 12 schools involved in postseason play, the SEC has a case there as well.
Besides its six NCAA Tournament representatives, the SEC sent two more member schools to the NIT. Again, these teams made some noise.
For the second straight year South Carolina took its NIT berth as far as it would go, winning the entire tournament. During their five-game path to the title the Gamecocks knocked off Western Kentucky, Florida State (ACC), Cincinnati (Big East) and Louisville (Big East) before handling Michigan 76-64 in the championship game.
Overall in postseason play, SEC teams finished 5-1 against Big East opponents and 2-0 against ACC foes.
Taking all of these factors into consideration, it is impossible not to add a little salt and pepper for flavor and go ahead and eat my words. Neither the Big East or the ACC will be put on life support anytime soon, but for at least another six months — until college basketball starts again in November — the SEC deserves the bragging rights.

http://www.hampshirereview.com/sports.htm
I finally remembered.
that was well said