Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Now vs. Then...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I know that there are cheerleaders ranging from several different generations on this site so..

Let's discuss how cheerleading was/is during your "GLORY DAYS" cheering in high school....Smile

I cheered for Belfry High School from 1985 -1989. There were no fulls being thrown ....a standing back tuck, back handspring back tuck, roundoff tuck, roundoff hand tuck was the 4 killer tumbling passes. Extended libs were the new "big thing". We competed WITHOUT MATS! There was no such thing as 2 1/2 minute routines in KAPOS. We had to perform a gymnastics cheer (tumbling/mounts included), a non-gymnastics cheer (jumps/motions only), and a 2 minute pom routine (you HAD to use the poms in 85% of the routine). We didn't use spots for basket tosses, we could do knee drops (my knees are still angry about that and remind me on a daily basis by hurting), we had "falling pyramids", toe-pitches, and only 16 girls could compete.

There was no cheer curls!. (of course with the big permed 80's hair who needed them)

And I wouldn't trade one day of it for anything!!:Cheerlead
Lord if I could go back!!! LMAO..... I cheered at Phelps from 1982 thru 1986. (high school years only here).... EVERYTHING you posted in the previous post in TRUE!!!! First off, you didn't even bother to try out if you didn't have a backhandspring. We did the "falling pyramid" thing and I can actually remember EVERY word to the cheer!!! We did toe pitches in our opening cheer during football and got so good at them we decided to do them during basketball. If you could throw a round-off, backhandspring, back tuck, you were the "shiz-it"..... distict tournaments had more than 3 or 4 teams in it... Feds Creek, Belfry, Phelps, Elkhorn City,Johns Creek... HUM>..... those were the good ol' days!!!!
phs1986 Wrote:Lord if I could go back!!! LMAO..... I cheered at Phelps from 1982 thru 1986. (high school years only here).... EVERYTHING you posted in the previous post in TRUE!!!! First off, you didn't even bother to try out if you didn't have a backhandspring. We did the "falling pyramid" thing and I can actually remember EVERY word to the cheer!!! We did toe pitches in our opening cheer during football and got so good at them we decided to do them during basketball. If you could throw a round-off, backhandspring, back tuck, you were the "shiz-it"..... distict tournaments had more than 3 or 4 teams in it... Feds Creek, Belfry, Phelps, Elkhorn City,Johns Creek... HUM>..... those were the good ol' days!!!!

Exactly!!!:letsparty
Another "memory" from my day.... when I was a freshman I cheered varsity. Not JV or Girls varsity but VARSITY.... Our sponsor made us do Jane Fonda (areobics workout) EVERY practice, we ran 10 laps around the gym, sprints, and lifted weights!! ALL before we practiced.... We were in better shape than most ballteams!! LOL... another thing, we ran laps for every mistake we made during a ballgame. Sponsors now wouldn't even think of making the girls do something like this. We all worked HARD because we LOVED [U] what we did... Preparing for competition consisted of working on your floor cheer, polishing off your sideline cheer (preferrably with position switching) and your dance routine. I can remember having practice for 5 hours a day many times!!!! ALL because I LOVED what I did!!! and OH>... do you remember Pikeville Newspaper picking cheerleader of the week??? I actually have mine from the week I was chosen.... That is back in the day when it was called Pikeville News Express!!! LOLOL.....
i remember back in the dya.. i used to sit back and watch cheerleaders do their thang... lol.
crazytaxidriver Wrote:i remember back in the dya.. i used to sit back and watch cheerleaders do their thang... lol.

Like you still don't .....uncle pervy!!!!!Smile
hahah.. nope.. don't never have time to go to games.. besides. it's weird cause those little girls are my baby sisters age lol..
Back in the day, (way back)..... We enjoyed competition, but that was not our 1st priority! Don't get me wrong, we were good and often won our competitions. However, we were all about school spirit. We decorated houses, the community, lockers, made posters for the cafeteria. We made booster buddy boxes. It was so fun! I would love to go back and do it all again.
YEP... I can remember as well all of us loadin up in cars and heading to the gym to hit the locker rooms.. We decorated them for the ball players.... We also made TONS of posters to hang through out the gym... this is not counting all that we hung in the school .... We also had spirit week... Each day of the week was something different to wear or do.... Pep rally's EVERY week... not just 2 or 3 a semester....... gosh at the fun we had!!!
it's a shame you can't have a pep rally at school anymore.. well not for sports or anything. no tlegally anyway..
how true!!!
ttt
Pond Creek Wrote:Back in the day, (way back)..... We enjoyed competition, but that was not our 1st priority! Don't get me wrong, we were good and often won our competitions. However, we were all about school spirit. We decorated houses, the community, lockers, made posters for the cafeteria. We made booster buddy boxes. It was so fun! I would love to go back and do it all again.

AHHH yes....I remember all of those things well. Hey Pond Creek, you forgot to mention the $500.00 hoops for the seniors that we made. People came to senior night just to see the hoops!
I can remeber Belfry in the "good ol days" White sheets hanging everywhere, painted windows, styrofoam cups in the fence.....Everyone knew when they passed through death valley.....Our cheerleaders worked hard,,,,it didn't stop just cause the bell rang...alot of hours went into school spirit!Confusedmallchee