Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: graduation gift-laptop-help
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I want to buy my daughter a laptop for graduation but I am not sure what to get.a lot of folks say the ibm thinkpad.cruising e-bay there are hundreds of brands,prices,new,used,rebuilt,ect,ect.so I decided to ask the experts that bill gates uses-bluegrassrivals.so whats the skinny on laptops
We have IBM Thinkpads at school and they aren't bad computers. I would personally go for a Sony Vaio but that's just me and my preference.
dawgbyte02 Wrote:I want to buy my daughter a laptop for graduation but I am not sure what to get.a lot of folks say the ibm thinkpad.cruising e-bay there are hundreds of brands,prices,new,used,rebuilt,ect,ect.so I decided to ask the experts that bill gates uses-bluegrassrivals.so whats the skinny on laptops
I just bought my wife a new laptop at Walmart its a HP Pavilion dv4000. She loves it and havent had any trouble yet. The price was roughly 1200 ater taxes and a case for it. But it came with 1.7gh centrino processor, 1 gig of ram, 100 gb hard drive, DVD Burner, and 15.4 widescreen moniter.
Buy anything but a Compaq, it's what I have, and I cant wait to save some money and buy a new computer this summer...
I like Dell Laptops... my bf has an IBM Thinkpad and he loves it... he knows a lot more about computers so if you have any questions just send me a pm or something
Whatever you get, I would say don't get it from ebay. You'll probably want a new laptop with a warranty.
ZMG Wrote:Whatever you get, I would say don't get it from ebay. You'll probably want a new laptop with a warranty.
That's a good idea.:Thumbs: Get a new one and not someone else's problems.
Go with a dell. I'm going to buy a cheaper one before I head off to college. I would by NEW so you have a warranty.
I have a toshiba from Wal-mart it works fine got it for $710 !

BallaBaby

I use to have a Vaio before I got m new computer that's a desk top last summer. It's great and still works, i think DTfan has it but I'm not sure.
Vaio is made by Sony excellent laptop.
I have a Sony Vaio and it's well worth the money. Well it was worth it until I spywared it out and it crashed. But I have had it for about 5 years and it worked great until I messed it up a couple months ago.
I have a Dell - and it works fine. I would never BUY a Compaq, or anything from Walmart.. (HP)

Think about this logically.... (I am making up numbers, these are not accurate - just for this example).

HP builds a computer on Tuesday. They put in a processor ($250), ram ($100),and the hard drive is ($50), and the rest of all the parts are $100.
Total cost = $500.

Now - everyone knows that the price of new technology almost always goes down.

So - The computer ships from HP on Wednesday, gets to Walmart distribution on Friday, and gets to your local Walmart on Tuesday.

Walmart marks up this PC by 100% -to $1000

In the mean time, on Wednesday, and Thursday, HP built more PC's for the same cost.

On Friday, the price of processors goes down to $200. Ram is now $75, the hard drive is $40, and the rest of the parts are now $98. The total cost is now $413.
Now Walmart buys this PC, but they can't just mark it up by 100%, that would only be $826. They can't sell two of the same items for a $174 difference!!

Also, keep in mind that you might not walk in to Walmart for another 2-3 weeks before you even see this computer and decide to buy it. In the mean time, the process has repeated, except a newer and better processor has been released at the same cost as the older processor. How, then, can you expect to get a good deal at WalMart on a PC?? It's the same process at all retailers - such as Best Buy, Office Max, etc.. What do they do to compensate for this problem? They INCREASE the markup from 100% to more than that - that way they can mark down the unit after a certain period and make it look like a better 'deal'.

That is the reason I like Dell. You go to their website and order a computer that has not been built, yet. They build it and ship it to you within a couple of weeks. You cut out the middle man and can get a little more value out of your purchase.
Keep in mind also that even buying direct from Compaq, HP, etc is not as good because they keep their prices high so that Circuit City/Best Buy, and other retailers can still make a sale.

I don't like Sony because they use a lot of propiatary software and hardware that will ONLY work with Sony gear.

Does any of this make since to you all? I'd like to hear comments...

Thanks,
cornwolf
Yes it makes since Computers are always getting faster. You can buy the best and fastest one today and they would be a better one out tomorrow.

I have always bought HP desktop's and laptop's and never had any problems.
See your point cornwolf.

I found out a week or so ago that my mom is buying me a laptop for graduation.

I have a Dell already picked out and ready to order at the end of this month.
Personally i think the Dell XPS are probably the best laptops in my opinion unless u want to pay close to 4 grand for a alienware.
I have a gateway tablet. You can flip the screen around and write on it with a special pen, then press insert and it types it for you. Its pretty cool. It was worth the price about 2000, but i got a few extra things on it.
We have two Toshiba's and they've done well for a couple of years
Alright, if you're looking for less expense, the two companies you need to go with are Dell and Sony. But if you have the money (I'm talking $1500+) to spend on an expensive laptop, please pay the extra cost and go with AlienWare or just skip Microsoft and it's problems all together -- get an Apple! Their notebooks are WONDERFUL.

If you want specifics and my reasoning behind this -- PM me.
i bought a dell laptop that some one ordered then didnt want it .It was never turned on saved almost half on the samr laptop i got my daughter few weeks earlier its on a Dell web site but cant remember the name they have all kinds on there