Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Recruit went to hospital; school cancels season
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
CHICO, Calif. -- California State University at Chico has canceled the rest of its 2006 softball season after a high school recruit wound up in the hospital for alcohol overdose.

A university investigation found that 12 of the 18 members of the Chico State softball team attended a March 24 party where alcohol was served to the 17-year-old recruit. Several of the softball players were also under 21.

"This is a sad day for Chico State Athletics," athletic director Anita Barker said in a statement. "We pride ourselves on being role models, on having a program that the campus and community are proud of. However, the magnitude and gravity of this situation warrants swift and decisive action that sends a message this behavior is unacceptable."

The school's Office of Student Judicial Affairs is looking into the incident. Discipline could range from probation to suspension to expulsion from the school. The players have also been thrown off the team, the school said.

The recruit came for a campus visit with her father, according to a university news release. She attended the party, became lethargic and then was unresponsive after drinking. The players called 911 and she went to a local medical center. She was released the following morning.

"We have raised expectations for student behavior at Chico State, and we must hold all of our students accountable to those expectations," said school president Paul Zingg. "We are committed to standards of conduct for all of our students that support the values of the University, including being a safe and responsible community. Changing the drinking culture that plagues our campus, as it does many others, is a critical step towards this goal."

Softball coach Teri Rupe said: "I am shocked, saddened and angry about what happened over the weekend regarding my team. This is a horrible incident and does not reflect well on the campus community, the athletic department, and primarily the softball program. Unfortunately, the poor judgment of some has affected the entire program. Ultimately, I am responsible for my program, and I am committed to doing everything in my power to ensure that nothing like this ever happens again."

Barker said she has been in touch with the California Collegiate Athletic Association, of which Chico is a member, to inform the conference and other members of the cancellation.
Don't agree with the kids drinking that amount but I don't think the season should be cancelled. The girl was on campus with her father and he didn't prevent this? The coach should have known the status of her since she was being recruited. To try and throw all the crap on the girls is crazy.
I agree with you CD... it's not like the others forced her to drink... not everybody should be punished and I don't think the season should have been canceled
I would say they are looking at a the legal and public opinion side of things.
personally sounds like one heck of a party.