Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Kelvin Sampson new coach at IU!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
That's what I just heard.

I love this hire!
Kelvin is/was one of my top 5 choices to replace Tubby. Good move on IU's part.
What happened to Alford? I thought he was the frontrunner the whole time?
Terrible move. Sampson is another underachieving guy that will leave IU dissappointed time and time again...
Don't think Alford was ever the frontrunner, unless you've been listening to Dookie V's rants. TTBOMK, Randy Whittman was the leading candidate according to the IU chat boards. This Kelvin Sampson hire was completely unexpected.
I hope Sampson does well because if he doesn't all you will here from the hoosiers is how they should have hired Alford.
Tell me about it! I have a nephew by marriage who is no doubt one of the biggerst hoosier fans in the state....
One of the worst hires they could have had..What in the world has he ever done to deserve this job? He has more 1st round exits in the NCAA than any coach I can think of...
I think every move IU has made since they run Bob Knight off has been terrible. I hope the program at IU has no success whatsoever. And what in the world has Oklahoma ever done on the basketball court, nothing! All he will do is recruit big, white boys that should have played football somewhere instead of basketball.
who cares... Sampson didnt get it done in Oklahoma, where he was given every chance... He wont get it done in Indiana
venom93 Wrote:What happened to Alford? I thought he was the frontrunner the whole time?
I said a month ago , right when Davis Quit that Alford would never get the job.

He was never even in the running.
corndog23 Wrote:Terrible move. Sampson is another underachieving guy that will leave IU dissappointed time and time again...
Quoted from CNN.com, you call this underachieving? You have got to be kidding me. You have once again, proven you know nothing about college basketball.

"His hiring would give the Hoosiers a widely respected coach and proven recruiter. He has been successful in two major conferences -- the Pac-10 and Big 12, once served as president of the National Association of Basketball Coaches and has coached on five national teams.

In 12 seasons with the Sooners, Sampson went 279-109 and led the Sooners to 12 straight postseason appearances, including their first Final Four trip in more than a decade. His career record is 455-257. It was Davis' Hoosiers that upset Sampson's Sooners to reach the 2002 national championship game. Indiana then lost to Maryland."

Sampson took his team back to the regional finals in 2003. In 2004-05, the Sooners shared the Big 12 title and were ranked among the top 10.

Sampson is one of six coaches with 20 or more wins each of the past nine seasons. The others are Arizona's Lute Olson (15), Kentucky's Tubby Smith (13), Duke's Mike Krzyzewski (10), Syracuse's Jim Boeheim (9) and Connecticut's Jim Calhoun (9).
Yes he underachieved 98...He should have done more with what he had. Never should have lost to INdiana in the final four. Shouldnt have lost to Utah last year, and shouldnt have lost to UW Milwaukee this year....He is one HECKUVA underachiever...
alfus21 Wrote:One of the worst hires they could have had..What in the world has he ever done to deserve this job? He has more 1st round exits in the NCAA than any coach I can think of...

IU should have went after Tubby.....you know, with all his success and all.
Yeh, i mean, he does have a national championship
With Pitino's recruits....... :Thumbs: (for the 1000th time).......:dontthink

Cornie my misinformed bud, I take it you've never heard the story about Cameron Mills and Padgett and a couple others going to Tubby during the final four and asking him to let them play the way Pitino taught them. According to the story, Tub reluctantly agreed and the rest is history. Yes, I give Tub credit for pushing the right buttons during the game, but no way did the '98 team win it playing Tubby ball.
I just don't see IU fans very happy unless one of their own is coaching. Kind of like Notre Dame in football.
Tubby might of won it with Pitino's recruits, but he still won it and he was the one on the sidelines all season making the decisions not Pitino. They would of never had those comebacks in 98 without playing the D Tubby taught them because Rick sure don't teach Defense. What in the world is wrong in Louisville if Pitino is so great, I mean that's all his recruits and his system and I think I recall Louisville being in the NIT tournament not the NCAA tournament. I don't see how people can bash Tubby and leave the al mighty Ricky P alone, and has only been to one final four in what 5 years in Louisville and missed the tourny this year.
Stick to the topic...
Yellow Snow Wrote:With Pitino's recruits....... :Thumbs: (for the 1000th time).......:dontthink

Cornie my misinformed bud, I take it you've never heard the story about Cameron Mills and Padgett and a couple others going to Tubby during the final four and asking him to let them play the way Pitino taught them. According to the story, Tub reluctantly agreed and the rest is history. Yes, I give Tub credit for pushing the right buttons during the game, but no way did the '98 team win it playing Tubby ball.
Thats exactly what you say it is... a STORY...Rolleyes
I'm not huge on this hire personally, Sampson has a history of 1st round exits (2002 and 03 not withstanding). Also had a miracle run in 99 with Najara to the Sweet 16 as a 13 seed, they lost to Michigan St. in that round.

He's a good coach, but he's not soaking my boots either....
Sampson is also in hot water with the NCAA. Any penalties could follow him to IU.
I think he's the best they could get and I am pleased with this hire.

The trouble with the NCAA were his assistants not him. Look it up, and let's bring some facts to the table.
If I was an IU fan, I'd be more than pleased with the selection. Heck, I'd be pleased to have him at UK for that matter. Looks as if IU did somthing smart. Congrats.
corndog23 Wrote:Thats exactly what you say it is... a STORY...Rolleyes

Nope...I'm afraid it's fact. You need to visit KSR more often.
Yellow Snow Wrote:If I was an IU fan, I'd be more than pleased with the selection. Heck, I'd be pleased to have him at UK for that matter. Looks as if IU did somthing smart. Congrats.

Maybe you should become in IU fan... :thumpsup:
Yellow Snow Wrote:Nope...I'm afraid it's fact. You need to visit KSR more often.

Prove to me that is a fact Snow...prove it....thats it, you cant. Players dont coach teams, coaches do...THAT is a fact.
Yellow Snow Wrote:Nope...I'm afraid it's fact. You need to visit KSR more often.

:lmao:
You guys really need to give up the act. It's getting rather ridiculous to say the least. Just because I give a compliment to a great coach like Kelvin Sampson is no reason for the remarks.Rolleyes
Yellow Snow Wrote:You guys really need to give up the act. It's getting ridiculous. Just because I give a compliment to a great coach like Kelvin Sampson is no reason for the remarks.

Really is that all you were trying to do?

Yellow Snow Wrote:IU should have went after Tubby.....you know, with all his success and all.

Yellow Snow Wrote:With Pitino's recruits....... :Thumbs: (for the 1000th time).......:dontthink

Seems like you were doing more than giving a compliment to ol' Sampson...No act from corndog and I, just responses... :thumpsup:
Pages: 1 2