Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Toughest Obstacle Your Squad Has Overcome
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
What is the toughest obstacle your squad has overcome this year or in the past?
I cheer...well use to cheer...for Sheldon Clark. Im only a junior and our squad this year was torn to pieces. We had alot of talking behind backs and just stupid stuff. We didnt have a captain which would have made us come together and be a true squad. Our obstacle was people being two-faced and being hurtful. Good luck next year guys...hope you get things worked out...
I cheer for East Ridge and we had many things happen. The peak would be our coach quitting right before Kapos and District tournaments. Thats when we really came together because we knew that we could be good. Now we have a really good coach who has only been our coach for like 3 weeks. BUT it has been the most improving time period. We have done alot better in just those three weeks! Thanks!

East Ridge WARRIORS! :1:
Letcher County Central is three of the four high schools in Letcher County combined into one, Fleming-Neon, Whitesburg, and Letcher.  Letcher didn't have a cheerleading squad but Fleming-Neon and Whitesburg had two really good ones.  They both had strong mounts and squad tumbling but they were coached by two completely different coaches, they had two totally different styles..  Stacy Quillen, former Fleming-Neon head coach was offered the job for the new Letcher Central squad.  Might I say she is well qualified for, she coached Fleming-Neon through several district, and regional titles and doing well in KAPOS state competitions as well.  She has been a 14th region coach of the year and statewide Kentucky Cheerleading Coach of the Year..  I just want to commend her for her excellent work in bringing the two squads together as one, and overcoming all of the obsticles it takes when schools combine
Taking the top scores and making a competition squad and then having to listen to all the crap people had to say about us and our coaches.  It is definetly a hard thing to deal with!  Oh, and having someone dislocate their elbow a few days before KAPOS.
Another main thing since i only mentioned one....a few months before KAPOS our best climber, tumbler, jumper, just all around cheerleader... her appendix burst. It moved and formed a pocket behind her intestines and they had to cut her all the way down her stomache to get it out. Its nasty looking and that was a very hard thing to deal with. She was hurt so bad by it that she still isnt better. Hopefully by next year she will be ok and she had dreams to be a UK cheerleader.....sucks hardcore
I think our squads biggest obstacle was just trusting each other and believing in one another....we were an all freshman squad with the exception of one junior and one sophmore but only like 5 or 6 out of 19 had ever cheered before and it was just really hard....
[quote author=gobles_girl40 link=topic=20484.msg207544#msg207544 date=1141948260]
Another main thing since i only mentioned one....a few months before KAPOS our best climber, tumbler, jumper, just all around cheerleader... her appendix burst. It moved and formed a pocket behind her intestines and they had to cut her all the way down her stomache to get it out. Its nasty looking and that was a very hard thing to deal with. She was hurt so bad by it that she still isnt better. Hopefully by next year she will be ok and she had dreams to be a UK cheerleader.....sucks hardcore
[/quote]

awww, that almost made me cry... But I was really depressd by what happened & in a way I think i inspired a lot of the cheerleaders! lys
#1. -well, on the night of our Homecoming Dance, one of our girls went home and her house was on fire. It burnt completely. She ended up staying with her Grandmother but two weeks later, that house burnt down. She lost everything.

#2. -We had a girl (flyer) fracture her back 3 weeks before competition. Then we had a girl to under go surgery.

*-* During KAPOS, we had 3 girls to compete with sprained ankles. 1 with a broke arm (she had a pink cast on). The stomach virus was being passed around. And one with a broke nose.

--That may be a reason why Pike Central had such a rough time with the routine. But it hit no problem at competiton and I'm proud of how good we did do!
I believe we are yet to overcome it.
Guru, what do u mean by that? Were u being sarcastic? I couldn't tell.

I didn't mean to sound like I was complaining. But those were some obstacles, and they were pretty major so I posted them....
The Guru Wrote:I believe we are yet to overcome it.

I bet it's overcome in 2008!:moon:
IISnakE Wrote:I bet it's overcome in 2008!:moon:
Again what did you mean by that if you are hoping to see coach Rowe gone in 2008 don't get your hopes because she is not leaving that soon!!!!!!!!:devilflam
BAYPC CHEERBABE Wrote:Again what did you mean by that if you are hoping to see coach Rowe gone in 2008 don't get your hopes because she is not leaving that soon!!!!!!!!:devilflam

What in the hell are you talking about? The Guru and I are talking about Paintsville cheer and how we're going to be battling an obstacle until after graduation of 2008. For crying out loud... why would we possibly care about Kelly Rowe or Pike Central in general for that matter? Talk about self absorbedRolleyes, but since you mentioned PCCHS, love the uniforms, think there's tons of talent there, wish they could "put it all together" sometime & take it all the way. I think Kelly needs to rethink her coaching strategy for competitions & allow her squads to get out there and show what "they" can do... Her mat slappin', cheer yellin', head slingin' and actin' a fool, while her teams are competing is enough to scare the hell out of anyone trying to perform. She has loads of talent, pretty good material (although I have seen her try to pack too much into a routine and they end up hitting the wall at about the minute -thirty mark) and she always seems to have her squads prepared, so why not let them be the focus for a change? I'm not saying she isn't a good coach, because she is, I'm not saying PCCHS isn't a good squad because they are. What I am saying is, her girls know how hard she works and anyone with any sense in cheer knows who is behind all the good squads... so why not let the PCCHS cheer leaders, work hard, preparing themselves for their games and competition cheer seasons, and cheer with dignity instead of all the sideshow drama?:igiveup: :thumpsup:
IISnakE Wrote:What in the hell are you talking about? The Guru and I are talking about Paintsville cheer and how we're going to be battling an obstacle until after graduation of 2008. For crying out loud... why would we possibly care about Kelly Rowe or Pike Central in general for that matter? Talk about self absorbedRolleyes, but since you mentioned PCCHS, love the uniforms, think there's tons of talent there, wish they could "put it all together" sometime & take it all the way. I think Kelly needs to rethink her coaching strategy for competitions & allow her squads to get out there and show what "they" can do... Her mat slappin', cheer yellin', head slingin' and actin' a fool, while her teams are competing is enough to scare the hell out of anyone trying to perform. She has loads of talent, pretty good material (although I have seen her try to pack too much into a routine and they end up hitting the wall at about the minute -thirty mark) and she always seems to have her squads prepared, so why not let them be the focus for a change? I'm not saying she isn't a good coach, because she is, I'm not saying PCCHS isn't a good squad because they are. What I am saying is, her girls know how hard she works and anyone with any sense in cheer knows who is behind all the good squads... so why not let the PCCHS cheer leaders, work hard, preparing themselves for their games and competition cheer seasons, and cheer with dignity instead of all the sideshow drama?:igiveup: :thumpsup:
I believe that if you go back and read the thread you will see it certainly sounded like you were talking about PCCHS and if you were not then I will be the first to say I am sorry! But as far as your opinion about Kelly Rowe putting a side show, yes I will agree with you that she gets a little excited when her girls are on the floor because she has been there every time those girls practiced for that competition listen Kelly Rowe is not by no means a side show she cares about those girls as individaul and as a squad. She was the one there each time those girls fell each time there was a sprained ankle, when the little girl hurt her back just because she is proud of what those girls do and just because she gets excited when they hit every stunt and just because she loves each and every girl on her squad does not give you the right to say that she is putting a show. YOU WASN'T THERE!!!!!!!!! for those practices that they worked so hard at to be able to be at the competition.
I've read the thread & in no way did it remotely sound as though The Guru and I were talking about PCCHS. You haven't been on here long enough to know which posters are from where. Did you really read mine? I like Kelly Rowe just fine and I admire what she accomplishes with her teams, but sometimes a coach needs to know her squads limitations, choreograph accordingly, along with understanding what each particular set of judges is looking for. Judges for KAPOS regionals may not be looking for the same things the judges at a UCA National are looking for. I know Coach Rowe knows the difference. What I wish is that she would put it all together and actually be able to allow them to be the focal point. Maybe she is "excited" maybe this is what her girls expect. If it's working for them, great. The PCCHS girls are loaded with talent, always have been. They have a talented & obviously devoted coach. She has every right to be proud of them.... and no, "I wasn't there" for those practices, if I had of been, I would have tactfully found a way to brooch the subject with her. I say this sincerely, Good Luck to PCCHS Cheer!
IISnakE Wrote:I've read the thread & in no way did it remotely sound as though The Guru and I were talking about PCCHS. You haven't been on here long enough to know which posters are from where. Did you really read mine? I like Kelly Rowe just fine and I admire what she accomplishes with her teams, but sometimes a coach needs to know her squads limitations, choreograph accordingly, along with understanding what each particular set of judges is looking for. Judges for KAPOS regionals may not be looking for the same things the judges at a UCA National are looking for. I know Coach Rowe knows the difference. What I wish is that she would put it all together and actually be able to allow them to be the focal point. Maybe she is "excited" maybe this is what her girls expect. If it's working for them, great. The PCCHS girls are loaded with talent, always have been. They have a talented & obviously devoted coach. She has every right to be proud of them.... and no, "I wasn't there" for those practices, if I had of been, I would have tactfully found a way to brooch the subject with her. I say this sincerely, Good Luck to PCCHS Cheer!
Then I am sorry! and I really mean this and thank you we always except any Good Luck wished upon our squad because every squad needs a little luck and alot of talent! Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Kelly Rowe is the best coach I've ever had. I'd rather cheer for her than anyone else on the face of this earth. Thank you for understanding just how wonderful she is. =D

> Kelly Rowe < :rockon:
*Central_Cheer_Chick Wrote:Kelly Rowe is the best coach I've ever had. I'd rather cheer for her than anyone else on the face of this earth. Thank you for understanding just how wonderful she is. =D

> Kelly Rowe < :rockon:
Preach it sister. Kelly Rocks. She is the best alround.
ok,, where on here was this thread about WHO the BEST Coach is anyway, I think it was started as to what Obstacles your squad has overcome. I think the biggest thing for any squad to overcome is , is SOME parents needs to get the big chip off thier shoulder, and really get to the bottom of things before jumping to conclusions!:argue:
How can these girls ever get along if the parents act like idiots all the time!
:thumpsup: Good Point!!!!
Can We get back on topic, please?
friendofbelfry Wrote:ok,, where on here was this thread about WHO the BEST Coach is anyway, I think it was started as to what Obstacles your squad has overcome. I think the biggest thing for any squad to overcome is , is SOME parents needs to get the big chip off thier shoulder, and really get to the bottom of things before jumping to conclusions!:argue:
How can these girls ever get along if the parents act like idiots all the time!
blah! blah! blah! blah!
BAYPC CHEERBABE Wrote:blah! blah! blah! blah!

so mature...........you make PC look so good!
friendofbelfry Wrote:so mature...........you make PC look so good!

Read above ^(IISnake tried to post) looks like we're not the only ones to have problems Smile

I have 2 girls and 1 boy from 13 to 20 whom ALL have been involved or still are involved in baseball, basketball, football, soccor, cheerleading and gymnastics since their peewee years and I have coached and co-coached, and I've helped the ball coaches with fund raising, uniforms and organization. YES!!!!! Parents can absolutely be "one" of the biggest obstacles. Not all but theres a few in every bunch.
I would have to say that the toughest obstacle our team has overcome is the cat fighting among the girls you can put 21girls on a squad but you can't make them be best friends.
Yeah Kelly Rowe is the best coach in the world.:Cheerlead
PC Cheermom Wrote:I would have to say that the toughest obstacle our team has overcome is the cat fighting among the girls you can put 21girls on a squad but you can't make them be best friends.

you can't put a bunch of parents in one chat room and expect them to get along either!:lmao:
PC Cheermom Wrote:I would have to say that the toughest obstacle our team has overcome is the cat fighting among the girls you can put 21girls on a squad but you can't make them be best friends.

ALL through grade school both of my daughters (who were never on the same squad because of age differences) were taught by our coaches how they were expected to behave and you either got along or got out!! Problems on the squad due to petty childish bickering and back stabbing was not tolerated and HAS NEVER made a winning squad anywhere. It does nothing but cause problems and bitterness among a group who is soposed to work together as a team to try and win!! They were always told that no one was trying to choose their friends in anyway and they did not have to hang out together BUT they were a team and would respect each other. If they didn't like some of the girls on the squad that was their choice but they would keep their opinions to theirselves and "get along" and work together for the good of the squad. It works if the coach sticks to her guns.
STD'S Menstruation
Pages: 1 2