Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Northern, Southern and Meece
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Northern (Pulaski), Southern (Pulaski), and (Somerset)Meece have all won Middle School championships in the past two years and are all still alive in different divisions for the Semi-Finals. Which school has the best shot to bring home another championship and is there any other area that can match their accomplishments for middle school football?
All three have been dominant over the past few years. I have a very, very strong feeling that Northern will win an 8th grade state title, while Southern should win a 7th grade state title. I really don't know much about Meece this year.
^
I think if Whitley can take home the D1 Championship this year this are could be in the mix.
Corbin and Wburg both won one as well and if Whitley manages to pull this one off i think they have been just a successful
I think it's very impressive that all 3 of these programs have teams representing the Pulaski/Somerset area in their respective divisions. I think it shows how superior the youth football programs are in this location compared to surrounding areas in the state. The youth leagues here are second to none and from others I've seen, it's not even close. Good luck to all teams!
Southern (Southwestern) Won this morning and Meece (Somerset) is up 34-0 at the half and Northern(Pulaski) plays next for title. Pretty good day for the three local schools, three teams playing for titles and looking like AT LEAST two will win titles.
^ Make that three titles...Congrats also to Northern (Pulaski) 8th graders
Southern Pulaski 46 Johnson County 12 7th Grade State Finals :1:

Somerset Meece 42 Paintsville 8 Eighth Grade Division 3 State Finals :1:

Northern Pulaski 50 Whitley County 14 Eighth Grade Division 1 State Finals :1:

Somerset Area 138 Others 34 :1: :1: :1:
Why doesnt this success translate into high school success for these teams?
I know somerset has been a decent program but PC and SW have never been much of a threat to win state, so what do you all think it is?
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:Why doesnt this success translate into high school success for these teams?
I know somerset has been a decent program but PC and SW have never been much of a threat to win state, so what do you all think it is?

Highlands, Boyle County, Lou. Central, Lex. Cath. and Belfry are the main reasons. I am not using those examples as a cop out, it is just part of the reason. When the county schools have been the stongest that is who they have run into along the way. Don't know exactly why for the other years. Comparing the two county high schools Southwestern has more regular season accomplishments but has underperformed in the playoffs, especially at home. Pulaski Co.has had a strong run the past two years but seems to have had a couple of more down years in regular seasons past. Somerset has more football history and tradition but had played in a lower classes where they have been competitive in regular season and playoffs. I took a quick look back at the riherds scoreboards since 1998 for playoff results. (may not be 100% accurate, if not i apologize)

Southwestern Playoff Record Overall 6 wins - 12 losses
Playoff Record Home 5 wins - 9 losses
Playoff Record Away 1 win - 3 losses

Pulaski Co. Playoff Record Overall 10 wins - 10 losses
Playoff Record Home 8 wins - 0 losses
Playoff Record Away 2 wins - 10 losses
1 Semi-State

Somerset Playoff Record Overall 21 wins - 13 losses
Playoff Record Home 16 wins - 3 losses
Playoff Record Away 5 wins - 9 losses
Playoff Record Neutral 0 wins - 1 loss
4 Semi-States
1 State Final

Southwestern has lost too many home playoff games in this time period. They have played well in the regular season to get that many home games and there are some circumstances for a coulple of upsets but it has happened too often and has become too much of a trend.

Pulaski has held serve at home which is what you are supposed to do but has missed the playoffs a couple of more times over the years. They did make it to the semi-state in 2009 and had to go play at Highlands to end their season.

Somerset has more wins than the two combined and their road record happens to be the same as Southwestern's home record in this time span. They still can't get over the hump of bringing home a high school state title but they are probably better than "decent" as you called them.

So there is some background. Why does middle school success not translate? That is a good question. My quick answer is every kid that played football at Meece, Northern, and Southern, for the past two to three years has been able to say they have won a championship. Meece won Div. 2 in 2009 and Div. 3 in 2011. Northern won 7th Grade in 2010 and Div. 3 in 2011. Southern won Div. 3 in 2010 and 7th Grade in 2011.

Let's see how theese programs do at the high school level in 2013,2014,& 2015. They may not do anything and they may go on to do more great things. At least they have it in their heads that they can compete for and win a state title. Sometimes getting the kids to believe they can do it without getting the big head is the toughest part.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:Why doesnt this success translate into high school success for these teams?
RunitUp I think to answer your question. It's much easier to dominate and look superior when you're 14 or 15 playing against 12 and13yr olds. You can't really get a fair judge of talent when you are just bigger than most opposing teams. When these schools run into the Louisville Centrals, Boyle Co., or Highlands you see that these kids aren't as talented. They were just bigger from being held back in middle school. There is no other explanation. I've seen it times before
Meece does not allow holdbacks, if your child holds back they are not allowed to play sports the next year. With that being said we have a couple of transfers that are older 14 y/o had one that turned 15 but he did not play tourament.our biggest boy is a true 8th grader who's dad said could be held back twice I believe.
riverdog Wrote:Meece does not allow holdbacks, if your child holds back they are not allowed to play sports the next year. With that being said we have a couple of transfers that are older 14 y/o had one that turned 15 but he did not play tourament.our biggest boy is a true 8th grader who's dad said could be held back twice I believe.

Meece has had a couple of hold backs over the years, but hardly ever if ever have they had a team built around them. When I was in 8th grade we had around 25 kids and I had been in the same grade as all of them since I was in kindergarten. I know that Meece changed the rule a few years back to allow you to play the next year if you hold back (they may have changed it back since I don't know), but even with the rule, you had maybe one or two players every other year hold back. Cole never held back, Brandon Newell would have graduated at 17, the 2005 regional championship team had one player that had held back and even then it made him the same age as everyone in his grade where he was young for his grade before. Like I said, it happens at Meece just as it happens anywhere, but it is far from the norm here.

Just want to add that I do not disagree with holdbacks at all. Just beating my point to death which is that it isn't necessarily going to result in high school success.