Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Shelby Valley 18, Pikeville 16 (5th/6th - Pike Co. tournament)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Final from tonight at Valley, in the semifinals of the Pike County tournament.

I would like to here how this game turned around. We stayed for a while after our 3rd/4th grade game ended, but we had to leave during the third quarter. When we left, it was 16-0 Pikeville, and they had just taken possession after SV was stopped short on 4th down for the second time in the quarter.

Truthfully, I thought sure Valley had lost this game in the first half. First, they had a 1st-and-goal from the 3 yard line and failed to score. Then, after a Pikeville TD, Valley fumbled the kickoff and allowed the Panthers to score again right before the half.
Good job was @ game , but didnt get to see finish because we were getting ready for 8th grade night.
First of all, this is to New O from the closed thread. You said:

"I noticed them putting time back on the clock....in Pikevilles favor at the end. Great job Valley. Pikeville had the game won and let the pressure get to them. I really hate excuses. "

When they put time back on the clock in Pikeville's favor at the end (and you are right, they did), it happened right in front of me. When the player went out of bounds and the ref motioned for the clock to be stopped, the time was 58.4 and the clock kept running. After they finally stopped it, refs conferred, etc., the clock was reset to 1 minute. So yes, we did gain a second and a half back. Not denying that at all. But let's talk about an earlier play as an even WORSE example that ended up in Valley's favor.

On a kickoff, Valley tried an onside kick. Pikeville recovered, ref blew the whistle and motioned for the clock stoppage, it kept running. Then, Valley coach comes out and begins yelling at the ref, and all of a sudden he changed his mind and motioned Valley recovered the ball. After the ensuing confusion, they put time back on the clock (which they should have), but ended up putting more time on the clock than there was WHEN THE KICKOFF STARTED. It was right near the end of the 3rd qtr, time was 2:04 at kickoff, it was reset to 2:10. When the ref stopped play on the recovery, it was 1:59, that is what it should have been reset to, but they gave Valley 11 extra seconds. I can't speak to who actually recovered it, because it was over on the Valley sideline away from me, but I noticed he never conferred with any other refs about the recovery call, just the time. So Valley got the ball on a changed call, PLUS they got more time on the clock than there was to begin with. Like I said, those are two examples of poor clock keeping, and it happened several times (both ways) during the night. Some for Pikeville, some for Valley.

Or, how about the ghost blocking in the back on the 97 yard INT return in the first qtr on Valley's first drive? The flag was thrown AFTER the Pikeville player went into the endzone, was thrown back at the 20 yard line where there were NO Valley players to even be blocked. The Pikeville player and 2 teammates blocking for him had outrun the last defender around the 30 yard line.

As I said in my post on the other thread, I am NOT taking anything away from Valley's boys. They won, but it was a horribly officiated game (both ways), and the Pikeville coaches failed to recognize a simple misdirection play that Valley ran over and over. It was so simple to recognize and defend. Every time they ran the play, they sent #4 wide to the side they wanted to run to to clear the defensive back for Pikeville out of the area, sent another player in motion the opposite way, then ran to that side (#4's) either by QB keeper or handoff. Simply staying in 4-4-3 and only allowing your front 4 to push while shifting to the gaps with the linebackers shuts that play down every time. The coaches wasted 2 timeouts and didn't even bother to point this out to the boys to stay in their gaps.
I first would like to give congrats to the SV 5th/6th. They stepped it up at the end and got the job done. I think I remember a big holding call at the end on SV that brought them back and almost cost them the game. I saw mistakes but nothing that change the game. Pikeville stopped playing and SV didn't. I have to give credit to Pikeville too. I saw them at the beginning of the year and they were not very good. They are probably the most improved group at any age level that I have seen this year.
hootie Wrote:I first would like to give congrats to the SV 5th/6th. They stepped it up at the end and got the job done. I think I remember a big holding call at the end on SV that brought them back and almost cost them the game. I saw mistakes but nothing that change the game. Pikeville stopped playing and SV didn't. I have to give credit to Pikeville too. I saw them at the beginning of the year and they were not very good. They are probably the most improved group at any age level that I have seen this year.
I think there WERE a few calls (both ways) that were momentum changers, so they had an impact on the game for both teams. But that's true of any game. As I said before, I'm NOT trying to take away from Valley's boys. They fought to the end, so they deserved it. It was just frustrating to see such blatant incompetence on the clock and on the refs. Good luck to Valley (I really mean that), this is my last post on this subject because I don't want it to turn into a flame session. We just have a difference in opinion of the impact of the calls, is all. But thank you for the kind words, I agree, the boys improved tremendously over the course of the season.
Congrats to Valley, and good luck.
This is to PHS forever. Would you been complaining if Pikeville would have won .........NO. Pikeville had the game in hand but SV never quit. Give credit to the kids, both teams played hard. I hate to see adults get on here and blame this or that. Every player,coach,ref and clock keeper made mistakes that night.
When ever Pikeville Dont win the find some excuse , but oh well

GOOD JOB SHELBY VALLEY :biglmao:
What????? Someone from Pikeville complain????? Never!!!
new o Wrote:This is to PHS forever. Would you been complaining if Pikeville would have won .........NO. Pikeville had the game in hand but SV never quit. Give credit to the kids, both teams played hard. I hate to see adults get on here and blame this or that. Every player,coach,ref and clock keeper made mistakes that night.
Are you not able to read? I gave credit to the kids and said our coaches failed to recognize a simple play in my first post when I said this:

"As I said in my post on the other thread, I am NOT taking anything away from Valley's boys. They won, but it was a horribly officiated game (both ways), and the Pikeville coaches failed to recognize a simple misdirection play that Valley ran over and over."

And again in my second post when I said:

"As I said before, I'm NOT trying to take away from Valley's boys. They fought to the end, so they deserved it."

So just in case you don't understand, here is my last post on this for real, there will be no responses beyond this:

Congats to Valley. Their boys EARNED THE WIN BY FIGHTING TO THE END. Pikeville wasted opportunities to put the game away for good. And yes, even saying all that, I'm still entitled to believe the officiating and timekeeping was horrid and definitely had an impact ON BOTH TEAMS.
Big Don Wrote:What????? Someone from Pikeville complain????? Never!!!
Aren't you the same person who complained constantly about some ref named Mike Hall and about Pike Central cheating? I wouldn't talk smack if I were you.
new o Wrote:This is to PHS forever. Would you been complaining if Pikeville would have won .........NO. Pikeville had the game in hand but SV never quit. Give credit to the kids, both teams played hard. I hate to see adults get on here and blame this or that. Every player,coach,ref and clock keeper made mistakes that night.
I was not at the 5/6th game, but earlier in the year in the 8th grade game, the clock was a huge problem as well. I am fairly certain it was a group of Varsity players running it. That just looks bad on the program as a whole. Don't let a kid with obvious bad intentions control such an important part of a close game. Hire an adult that is reliable to do a fair job and it will look a lot better on your program's part. I am a lot more likely to understand a mistake if the right person is the one making it. When you hire a high school kid to do the job, most of the time you will get the result you would expect.

Congratulations to SV and good luck in the championship!
Keep working hard Panthers! There is talent in your group, stay together and you all will do special things!
I agree 100% about letting kids run the clock.Adults should be in charge. I also think no one with any affiliation to a school should ref a game at that school. An example would be an assistant principal reffing a basketball game.....just makes it look bad on the school!
And yes I can read. I read where you brought up poor officiating and poor management of the clock plus you threw your coach under the bus. Sounds like a classy guy to me.Why not say " good job by both teams" or something that would not take away from an enjoyable game to watch. Whether SV won or lost I would have still enjoyed watching two groups of kids give 100%. Congrats to both sides,coaches and players.
new o Wrote:And yes I can read. I read where you brought up poor officiating and poor management of the clock plus you threw your coach under the bus. Sounds like a classy guy to me.Why not say " good job by both teams" or something that would not take away from an enjoyable game to watch. Whether SV won or lost I would have still enjoyed watching two groups of kids give 100%. Congrats to both sides,coaches and players.
100 % correct, we as parents should show good class, and we must set by example. When each team gives you all they have and the leave it on the field or court, what else more can you asks for. Good Job by both sides
Just to clear something up Pikeville did not recover the onside kick. The kid dropped the ball and the ball was laying behind him against his back. SV recovered and the ref pointed the wrong direction and that was when SV's coaching staff started yelling. Again this wasnt even questionable. I have no idea who was running the clock but the refs got the clock right on the field. Where the ref's messed up was not going to the sidelines and explaining the situatuion to the coaches.
5timechamp Wrote:Just to clear something up Pikeville did not recover the onside kick. The kid dropped the ball and the ball was laying behind him against his back. SV recovered and the ref pointed the wrong direction and that was when SV's coaching staff started yelling. Again this wasnt even questionable. I have no idea who was running the clock but the refs got the clock right on the field. Where the ref's messed up was not going to the sidelines and explaining the situatuion to the coaches.
Thanks for clearing that up about the recovery. As I said in another post, I couldn't tell due to all the players around and it also was on the far sideline away from me.
Well, I've read plenty of carping back and forth about the clock management as well as the officiating in this game, but very little about the game itself. Can anyone please tell me how SV came back and won this game in the second half?

Like I said earlier, when we left it was late in the third quarter and Pikeville had just stopped Valley on a 4th down to take over, with the Panthers leading 16-0. It sure seemed that short of a miracle, Pikeville had this game in the bag. So what happened from there? Did Pikeville commit a turnover, or just a quick 3-and-out? Then how did SV score their first TD?

I've gathered that after the first score, SV attempted an onside kick and recovered it. So how did they score after that? And how much time did Pikeville have left at the end to try to score and go back ahead? Just curious how the game finished up, and would appreciate some info.
More Cowbell Wrote:Well, I've read plenty of carping back and forth about the clock management as well as the officiating in this game, but very little about the game itself. Can anyone please tell me how SV came back and won this game in the second half?

Like I said earlier, when we left it was late in the third quarter and Pikeville had just stopped Valley on a 4th down to take over, with the Panthers leading 16-0. It sure seemed that short of a miracle, Pikeville had this game in the bag. So what happened from there? Did Pikeville commit a turnover, or just a quick 3-and-out? Then how did SV score their first TD?

I've gathered that after the first score, SV attempted an onside kick and recovered it. So how did they score after that? And how much time did Pikeville have left at the end to try to score and go back ahead? Just curious how the game finished up, and would appreciate some info.
SV ran the same misdirection play over and over, getting their first touchdown, then missing the PAT to make is 16-7. Then after the onside kick recovery, again ran the same play over and over. They then ran a pass play that they were 0-3 on in the game one more time, and connected for a TD to make is 16-15. The QB then kicked the PAT, making it, bringing the score to 18-16. After kicking off and Pikeville recovering, the clock was at approximately 2:00. First play was a pass completion good for 5 yards and out of bounds to stop the clock. second play was a designed QB keeper good for a big gain of about 12 yards for a first down, but was brought back for holding. instead of it still being second down and about 10, they left it at third down. Pikeville connected on another pass for about 5 yards, then on 4th down, pass fell incomplete and turned the ball over on downs. About 58 seconds to go, SV ran the ball twice, then allowed the clock to run out without running another play.

On Valley's second TD drive, they used up about 4-4.5 minutes of clock keeping the ball on the ground.
Pretty good recap of the comeback, but SV was successful on both PATs. Score was 16-9 after SV's first score.
PHSForever Wrote:SV ran the same misdirection play over and over, getting their first touchdown, then missing the PAT to make is 16-7. Then after the onside kick recovery, again ran the same play over and over. They then ran a pass play that they were 0-3 on in the game one more time, and connected for a TD to make is 16-15. The QB then kicked the PAT, making it, bringing the score to 18-16. After kicking off and Pikeville recovering, the clock was at approximately 2:00. First play was a pass completion good for 5 yards and out of bounds to stop the clock. second play was a designed QB keeper good for a big gain of about 12 yards for a first down, but was brought back for holding. instead of it still being second down and about 10, they left it at third down. Pikeville connected on another pass for about 5 yards, then on 4th down, pass fell incomplete and turned the ball over on downs. About 58 seconds to go, SV ran the ball twice, then allowed the clock to run out without running another play.

On Valley's second TD drive, they used up about 4-4.5 minutes of clock keeping the ball on the ground.

Thanks for the recap, I appreciate it. And congratulations to your Panthers, it sounds like they improved a great deal during the season. In my book, that's a mark of good coaching. Good luck against East Ridge on Saturday!
LovestheGame Wrote:Pretty good recap of the comeback, but SV was successful on both PATs. Score was 16-9 after SV's first score.
Whoops Thanks for catching my typo