Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Cats rediscover Magic...Could it be "The Socks" ?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
COLUMBIA, S.C. – It's gotta be the socks.

<SCRIPT language=Javascript>document.write(insertImage('http://vmedia.rivals.com/uploads/888/326634.jpg', '326634.jpg', 1, 294, 275, 1, 'Patrick Sparks slapped hands with the UK bench after draining three of his 24 second-half points.', 'Mary Ann Chastain', 1140305127000, 'Sparks vs USC 275', 888, 'Align=Left'));</SCRIPT><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=283 align=left border=0><TBODY><TR><TD width=277>[Image: 326634.jpg]</TD><TD width=6 rowSpan=4>[Image: spacer1.gif]</TD></TR><TR><TD align=right>AP: Mary Ann Chastain</TD></TR><TR><TD height=3>[Image: spacer1.gif]</TD></TR><TR><TD align=middle>Patrick Sparks slapped hands with the UK bench after draining three of his 24 second-half points.</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>Sporting threads reminiscent of the uniforms Kentucky's 1978 championship squad donned as part of the Southeastern Conference's 'Throwback week', the current Cats played like title contenders. UK (17-9, 7-5 SEC) sprinted away from a torrid South Carolina team in the second half on its way to an impressive 79-66 victory in front of 17,188 fans at the Colonial Center.

For a UK team that has been searching for any spark it could muster to rouse the vast potential it keeps talking about is hidden underneath the surface, a 54-point explosion after trailing at halftime could be just the impetus the Cats need to vault in the season's final weeks.

Or maybe it was just as simple as equipment manager Bill Keightley taking the retro theme a little further and packing white, knee-high tube socks in each players' travel bag.

"Maybe that's what it was, the jerseys and the socks," junior forward Bobby Perry said. "Mr. Keightley put them in our gym bags and it kind of gave us a lift as a team.

"I walked into the equipment room (the other day) to see what the jerseys looked like and he said, 'Now you need to go out and play like (those champions).' He was right."

It would be hard to argue with what the Cats did in the eye-catching duds. Despite playing tough defense the Cats fell behind 28-25 at the break behind a barrage of missed shots the team normally connects on, including clanking all eight of their three-point attempts.

Nothing could have been more different in the second half, as UK shot 66.7 percent and made 8-of-9 from deep to pull away. Much of that was due to resident streak shooter Patrick Sparks, who scored 24 of his 26 points after the break, including splashing down all six of his triples in the final 20 minutes.

"I've seen it before so it shouldn't be a surprise," senior Ravi Moss said of Sparks' nearly flawless second half. "He's one of the best shooters in the country. When he starts feeling it he starts shaking his head and he's hunched back, but he starts moving a little bit.

"I love watching guys get off like that because you are just so excited to see a teammate get going. He was such a big part of the victory."

Sparks was hardly alone in his effort. The Cats got perhaps the best game of sophomore center Randolph Morris' career when they desperately needed it. Despite not starting for the second consecutive game Morris dominated the glass, pulling down 11 rebounds while helping hold Carolina's Renaldo Balkman – who had 16 boards earlier in the week against Alabama – to just two rebounds.

"Randolph was a man child, " Perry said. "He got every rebound. When he grabs rebounds like that, it's unbelievable."

<SCRIPT language=Javascript>document.write(insertImage('http://vmedia.rivals.com/uploads/888/326637.jpg', '326637.jpg', 1, 360, 275, 1, 'Kentucky\'s Randolph Morris (left) and Ramel Bradley trapped South Carolina\'s Renaldo Balkman.', 'Mary Ann Chastain', 1140305295000, 'Morris,Bradley vs USC 275', 888, 'Align=Right'));</SCRIPT><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=283 align=right border=0><TBODY><TR><TD width=6 rowSpan=4>[Image: spacer1.gif]</TD><TD width=277>[Image: 326637.jpg]</TD></TR><TR><TD align=right>AP: Mary Ann Chastain</TD></TR><TR><TD height=3>[Image: spacer1.gif]</TD></TR><TR><TD align=middle>Kentucky's Randolph Morris (left) and Ramel Bradley trapped South Carolina's Renaldo Balkman.</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>Morris said a pregame talk with CBS announcer Clark Kellogg, himself a big man who starred in college, helped convince him he needed to be more active. It showed from the outset as Morris stayed out of foul trouble and played 29 minutes, allowing his to put up 13 points in addition to the rebounds.

"I made more of a conscious effort than I have before," Morris said. "If I get in there and rebound more, we can really control the boards."

UK did just about everything right after halftime, looking more like the team most experts had picked near the Top 10 in the preseason than at any point this year. Facing possible NCAA Tournament extinction with a loss, the Cats turned back a Gamecocks' team that had won three straight, including wins over Florida and Alabama.

"We put together one of our best games and we needed to," UK coach Tubby Smith said. "We had to (play like that) to compete.

"It was a world of different. Like night and day, the second half especially."

The game-changing run started innocently enough when Moss swished a three from the top of the key on the Cats' first possession of the second half. By the time the 24-6 spurt had concluded, Sparks had stuck three triples, Joe Crawford had added another and Perry capped the run with an old-fashioned three-point play. Every time Carolina tried to get close after that – the lead never dropped below eight after the run – Sparks stuck another dagger in the 'Cocks heart.

"I was feeling good out there," Sparks said. "The first one felt good and I got another one real quick. Once I got two in a row I was ready."

Maybe it was the socks. Maybe it wasn't. Either way, UK came closer to being a tournament threat than ever before. Now the trick is to carry it over.

"We can be even better," Moss said. "We can't save the season with one game, but this can get it going in the right direction."

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Courtesy of: www.catspause.com
Hell just watching them play with heart today and reading this just gets the old blood flowing. HEART goes so far and playing like you have a pair and with some brains upstairs sure does also. Now if Rondo can stop feeling sorry for himself and start busting his ass this team could be ready to turn the corner lets hope. GO CATS!
i like the old school uni's and the high socks
I do too golfman....
Good call I hope ZMG.
I LOVE THE UNIFORMS...You know, you would think that the players would want to keep these uniforms. Watching teams go to the throwbacks makes sports so much more fun! Now these uniforms made it look like the OLD KENTUCKY and the play went with the uni's. Congrats Cats and great win! To complete these uniforms, they should have brought out the old Kentucky Dunks shoes by Nike!
Wasen't that big of a fan of the uniforms but I liked the win.
This day was really reminiscent of those times where UK won and Florida/Tennessee lost back in the 70's. Those Uni's were worn by the 1978 Champions coached by Joe B Hall.....

Could this really be the turning point for UK Basketball this year ???

Could the sleeping Beast of the SEC East been awakened and angered and ready to pounce on 3 Top 25 teams and run wild through the SEC/NCAA Tournament and aim for Indianapolis ???

We shall see.....
I liked them.. and they won in them so they should keep wearing them lol
Does anyone know if they will wear them for the rest of the year? I just think that they look better, which I am an old school type of fan!
They were suppose to wear them for both games this week not sure after that but if they play that good against Ole Miss I know thats what I would have them wearing.
I also wish they would have taken the names off the backs.
i hope so
&quot;PLAYBOY5&quot; Wrote:Does anyone know if they will wear them for the rest of the year? I just think that they look better, which I am an old school type of fan!

SEC Throwback Week

BIRMINGHAM, Ala. -- The Southeastern Conference has announced the development of a "Throwback Uniform" program for the upcoming 2006 men's basketball season. Each SEC member school designated a previous year's uniform as its throwback uniform to use in association with the program. Each of the twelve SEC institutions had produced and will wear a home and away version of the throwback uniform.

The SEC along with the Collegiate Licensing Company has developed the program with input from the manufacturer working with each SEC member institution, including Adidas, Nike and Russell Athletics. The two primary components of the program are as follows:

Regular Season

The week of February 18-26 (Saturday through Sunday) has been designated as "SEC Throwback Week". A complete schedule of the games, in which the throwback uniforms will be worn follows. During the SEC Throwback Week, 15 of the 18 games will be televised by one of the SEC's television partners.

Feb. 18 (Saturday)--SEC Throwback Weekend
Kentucky at South Carolina [CBS] 1:30 p.m. ET
Florida at Arkansas [JP] 1:00 p.m. CT
Ole Miss at Mississippi State [ESPN Classic] 2:30 p.m. CT
Tennessee at Alabama [JP] 3:00 p.m. CT
LSU at Auburn [FSN/SUN] 5:00 p.m. CT
Vanderbilt at Georgia [FSN/SUN] 8:00 p.m. ET

Feb. 21 (Tuesday)
Alabama at Arkansas [ESPN] 8:00 p.m. CT

Feb. 22 (Wednesday)
Mississippi State at Auburn 7:00 p.m. CT
LSU at Vanderbilt 7:00 p.m. CT
Tennessee at Florida [JP] 8:00 p.m. ET
Ole Miss at Kentucky [JP] 8:00 p.m. ET

Feb. 23 (Thursday)
South Carolina at Georgia [ESPN] 7:00 p.m. ET

Feb. 25 (Saturday)
Arkansas at Tennessee [JP] 1:00 p.m. ET
Vanderbilt at South Carolina [JP] 1:00 p.m. ET
Kentucky at LSU [CBS] 2:45 p.m. CT
Georgia at Mississippi State 4:00 p.m. CT
Auburn at Ole Miss [FSN/SUN] 7:30 p.m. CT

Feb. 26 (Sunday)
Florida at Alabama [CBS] 3:00 p.m. CT

SEC Tournament

The specially-designed uniforms will be worn for all games of the 2006 SEC Men's Basketball Tournament, March 9-12 in Nashville, Tennessee. The "throwback" theme has been incorporated into many aspects of the SEC Tournament, including the Official Tournament logo and court design.

http://www.secsports.com/index.php?s=&ch...ll_id=9988
Thanks BP I had heard that but couldn't remember all the details. I forgot all about the SEC tourney part.
The socks are so ugly that they are awsome!
i love the unis and socks there great
i just hope it helps
Had the socks going again to beat Tennessee.
Hope we keep the socks for Florida. I love the long socks.
DUKE
I liked the uniforms and although we are in the white uni's today we still are rocking the socks and well, it is working so far..