Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Pike County 5th/6th Grade Playoff schedule
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
As I know it, here is how it goes:

Tuesday, Oct. 18th at 7 p.m., Pikeville plays at Shelby Valley, and then on Oct 22nd (Saturday), the Championship and consolation games will be played at Johns Creek. No time set for Saturday's games yet as of this writing.

Not quite sure how they worked this out, since I don't know the Johns Creek, Mullins, and East Ridge game schedules. Traditionally, #1 seeds get the bye, #2 plays #5, and #3 plays #4, or 2 plays 4 and 3 plays 5. I do know that Pikeville beat ER twice, Mullins twice, and SV once, and lost to JC twice and SV once, leaving them 5-3 in county play. Perhaps a fan from one of the other teams knows more about ER/Mullins/SV game results?
SV is also 5-3 in county play. Two wins each over East Ridge and Mullins, two losses to Johns Creek, and a split with Pikeville.
All I know I have watch the J/C bearcats 5th and 6th teanm played football alot this season.. This will be team to beat, watch them against S/V last night was a good game.... the kid in#14 is the one to watch interesting fellow. Seems to me the coaching staff doesn't respect him enough to give him credit where its due.... Pike Central middle school will be very lucky to get this young guy next year, and the rest of the team....Shows great sportsmanship!!! Earlier in the year this kid got alot playing time, but now for some reason the coach has quit playing him as much...I watch him in the pike central homecoming game... that kid was amazing to be able to score a touchdown in middle school game....can't wait till next year to be able to watch the whole 6th grade move it on up......Good luck to the bearcats in the tournament..TongueirateSho
oh yeah the BEARCATS are 11-0................
HAWKPRIDE Wrote:All I know I have watch the J/C bearcats 5th and 6th teanm played football alot this season.. This will be team to beat, watch them against S/V last night was a good game.... the kid in#14 is the one to watch interesting fellow. Seems to me the coaching staff doesn't respect him enough to give him credit where its due.... Pike Central middle school will be very lucky to get this young guy next year, and the rest of the team....Shows great sportsmanship!!! Earlier in the year this kid got alot playing time, but now for some reason the coach has quit playing him as much...I watch him in the pike central homecoming game... that kid was amazing to be able to score a touchdown in middle school game....can't wait till next year to be able to watch the whole 6th grade move it on up......Good luck to the bearcats in the tournament..TongueirateSho
So this young man played in a 7th/8th grade game? I didn't think that was allowed, since he is a 6th grader, and since he also plays for Johns Creek. So I don't see how he can play for the middle school team at Pike Central when he attends Johns Creek, which is a K-8th school? Interesting.
HAWKPRIDE Wrote:All I know I have watch the J/C bearcats 5th and 6th teanm played football alot this season.. This will be team to beat, watch them against S/V last night was a good game.... the kid in#14 is the one to watch interesting fellow. Seems to me the coaching staff doesn't respect him enough to give him credit where its due.... Pike Central middle school will be very lucky to get this young guy next year, and the rest of the team....Shows great sportsmanship!!! Earlier in the year this kid got alot playing time, but now for some reason the coach has quit playing him as much...I watch him in the pike central homecoming game... that kid was amazing to be able to score a touchdown in middle school game....can't wait till next year to be able to watch the whole 6th grade move it on up......Good luck to the bearcats in the tournament..TongueirateSho
I saw this game last night, too. #14 not getting as much playing time??? I may be mistaken, but I never saw him out of the game until 2:00 to go in the 4th quarter. They took him out, SV scored a quick touchdown and he went back in with 1:00 to go.
johns creek hasnt had a middle school fb team in 5 years. they combine with mullins and play as pike central middle school in fb and baseball.
PHSForever Wrote:As I know it, here is how it goes:

Tuesday, Oct. 18th at 7 p.m., Pikeville plays at Shelby Valley, and then on Oct 22nd (Saturday), the Championship and consolation games will be played at Johns Creek. No time set for Saturday's games yet as of this writing.

Not quite sure how they worked this out, since I don't know the Johns Creek, Mullins, and East Ridge game schedules. Traditionally, #1 seeds get the bye, #2 plays #5, and #3 plays #4, or 2 plays 4 and 3 plays 5. I do know that Pikeville beat ER twice, Mullins twice, and SV once, and lost to JC twice and SV once, leaving them 5-3 in county play. Perhaps a fan from one of the other teams knows more about ER/Mullins/SV game results?

I don't think the schedule you mentioned would work out right. If the #1 got a bye, and the other four teams played in two games, then after those games you would still have three teams left, and how would that work out? I don't see how it would, unless the two winners played again, in effect giving the #1 seed a double bye. And that would be VERY unfair.

What makes a lot more sense is that they are using a traditional bracket setup. With five teams, the top three seeds would get a bye, and the #4 and #5 teams would meet in the first round. The semifinal round would be #2 playing #3, while the winner of the first round game would play the #1 seed.

Using this setup, it makes perfect sense that Valley and Pikeville would play against each other. Undefeated Johns Creek would have the #1 seed and play the winner between the #4 and #5 seeds, East Ridge and Mullins. Valley and Pikeville have the #2 and #3 seeds, and meet in the semifinal round. The winner of that game would advance to the championship game, most likely against Johns Creek.

Mind you, I don't really know exactly how it is set up, but just that it makes sense based on the records for each of the top 3 teams.
PHSForever Wrote:So this young man played in a 7th/8th grade game? I didn't think that was allowed, since he is a 6th grader, and since he also plays for Johns Creek. So I don't see how he can play for the middle school team at Pike Central when he attends Johns Creek, which is a K-8th school? Interesting.

First I will say that I am not connected to the Johns Creek/Pike Central program in any way. But it makes sense that he would be playing for Pike Central middle, since Pike Central is made up of Johns Creek and Mullins. Apparently the two grade schools keep separate teams in 3rd/4th and 5th/6th grades, but combine them for 7th/8th grade. I don't know why they combine one and not all three teams.

As for him playing up, he certainly has the talent to do so. I don't know the rules on that, but I imagine that kids can play up on an older team, just not the other way around. If a 6th grader can play and make an impact on a 7th/8th grade team, then kudos to him. He will be one to watch as he progresses through middle school and on into high school.
One other question: Why doesn't Phelps have a 5th/6th team? They have a 3rd/4th team.
More Cowbell Wrote:I don't think the schedule you mentioned would work out right. If the #1 got a bye, and the other four teams played in two games, then after those games you would still have three teams left, and how would that work out? I don't see how it would, unless the two winners played again, in effect giving the #1 seed a double bye. And that would be VERY unfair.

What makes a lot more sense is that they are using a traditional bracket setup. With five teams, the top three seeds would get a bye, and the #4 and #5 teams would meet in the first round. The semifinal round would be #2 playing #3, while the winner of the first round game would play the #1 seed.

Using this setup, it makes perfect sense that Valley and Pikeville would play against each other. Undefeated Johns Creek would have the #1 seed and play the winner between the #4 and #5 seeds, East Ridge and Mullins. Valley and Pikeville have the #2 and #3 seeds, and meet in the semifinal round. The winner of that game would advance to the championship game, most likely against Johns Creek.

Mind you, I don't really know exactly how it is set up, but just that it makes sense based on the records for each of the top 3 teams.
Ugh. Nevermind. You are right, I left out a step. Thanks for catching it, and sorry for any confusion.
Good luck sv