Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: What Makes a Good Cheerleader?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Forgive my ignorance--but what makes a good cheerleader?

What do you want to see in a cheerleading team mate?

I have some ideas--but I want to see how close I am before I spout off at the mouth!
A good cheerleader is one that works hard and is a great team player. Basically anything you would expect out of a team member in any other sport. They are supportive and have a good attitude.
I have my thoughts but I better keep them to myself. LOL:Cheerlead :big grin:
A good cheerleader is some1 that has school spirit and pride and confidence..as for cheermates its some1 that never gives up on your squad and she/he does their part only to help the squad and lead their crowd
What makes a good cheerleader is becoming together as one squad! Not trying to be an indiviual. If it had been like this in Florida, they would`t be the only! squad from KY that didn`t advance on!
People take away from cheerleading these days... What happened to good motions.. and loud voices... ... u need those along with pep, tumbling, stunts, hard work and dedication and class... I watched the East Ridge Valley game on TV and i was very disappointed in what happened// the east ridge boy angled himself directly to intentionally hit another cheerleader .. how could the sponsors let this go on?. tumbling into each other on purpose?.People can really get hurt. something needs to be done.. that isnt cheerleading...no class
I would go with long legs and a short skirt......
:theman: I would go with long legs and a short skirt......
i would have to say a cheerleader that is willing to give 110% to cheerleading and would drop anything to come to practice or do anything to improve the squad
A *good* cheerleader has to have a good attitude about everything, not complain, not talk about cheerleading outside of practice (unless positive), try their hardest, keep pushing themselves, and has great spirit.
A cheerleader should be loud, proud, dedicated, safisticated, sassy, and fired up with a lot of school spirit. And of course have good sportsmanship and respect for fellow squad members.
And having a sponsor who believes in these things and is a good example to her squad. Not someone who puts up with disrespect and "it's all about me" attitude just because a member is a good tumbler, but can't even hit a high v. A sponsor who treats all her squad with equal respect which will build a good team attitude. Leadership starts at the top.
Things that you should find in a good cheerleader are as followed :thumpsup:
1) Confidence in their team and their cheermates
2) Confidence in their self
3) LOud voice (which shouldnt be a prob if u have #1&2)
4) IN my opinion i dont think that you have to be a expert tumbler to be a good cheerleader all the other numbers will takeyou far.    Like Kayla Stiltner of ER for ex.    She dont do crap but her voice is loud (bigmouth)  Rolleyes so iguess shes alright but she is an exellent cheerleader.
one that makes a good cheelreader is one that gives 110% everytime they are asked to do something..one that doesnt give up..that never complaines and doesnt try to out do other people inside of practice with your own teams mates!! :clap:
A good cheerleader is one who works well with the other girls.....but she also has to have the skills that make the squad look good.  Sorry BLU  or A.K.A. Just Watching, but  just having a good high V does not make a good cheerleader. 
Even in basketball or football, you have to have a team. You can't have a "star" or several who think they are stars and therefore, they only focus on one aspect of cheering. Sure they can tumble down the floor. But, when they have absolutely no sportsmanship then are they really good cheerleaders?

Well , since the year is over and we only had one girl who couldn't tumble we guess you could be putting down any of the rest of us.  If you don't want anyone to know who you are then I suggest you don't put your home e-mail address on the site.  You have the right to your opinion but I just don't understand how you could try to hurt an entire squad.
First, I don't have my home email on my profile.
Second, I did not put down your squad.
Third, I only said that tumbling is not the only thing that makes a good cheerleader.
Fourth, I did not say having a high v was the only requirement.
Fifth, I only said that a good attitude from everyone, including the sponsor, helps to make a good squad.
.... your attitude is one of the things people notice always notice first....and yours shows clearly to everyone. :no:
Oh, and I forgot...
I did a search on justwatching's posts and only found two that did not appear to be critical of anyone. So don't try to bring someone else into this that isn't involved.

I am entitled to my own opinions here just like anyone and I don't think you or anyone else should be putting down someone's child. I think this is the type of behavior that the moderator warned about that is giving cheerleading a bad name. I came to this forum to keep up on the girls and boys basketball teams and got interested in this thread because I think that cheerleading doesn't get enough respect. Posts like yours are the type that keep this lack of respect going. It's sad when the adults behave worse than the kids for whom they are supposed to be an example.
blackcatcheer, I can't wait until next year! Things are going to be so much better than this year. You know something, if we didn't have our "attitudes" and take the leadership roles on our squad, then nothing would have ever got done and no one would ever try to get better. Rumors, rumors, rumors. Nothing could destroy a team more, and now that all that is gone, our squad is gonna dominate more than ever!! JTC FOREVER!!
Oh and blu, you are talking about pointing out one girl, well in one of your previous posts you were talking about the "star" or stars" b/c they can tumble? You basically just gave away who you were by saying that, and let's not talk about people not having sportsmanship b/c you are one person trying to bring down the whole Prestonsburg Cheerleading program and that is ridiculous. Some girls have worked hard to get where they are right now and they shouldn't have to put up with retarded stuff like this.

What are you talking about with girls trying to pick fights with Betsy Layne cheerleaders? Why would they waste their time. Prestonsburg has been taught by their coach to have respect for other squads even though it may not be shown to them, and I guess she was right b/c like she told us, in the end it would pay off, and look we got what we wanted - 58th District Champs! It's over for you okay, just let it go and leave Prestonsburg alone now!
thank you for proving my point. :thx:
I only said that one girl on the squad couldn't tumble and that meant that you could have been referring to any of the other girls that could.  You were the one that brought up the tumbling thing.  And yes your e-mail address was linked to the just watching post.  When Bluegrass Rivals downloaded and installed their new setup they accidently allowed those to be viewed for a short while.  And furthermore I don't know what you are talking about when you say "My Girls"

I would never put down any one that was on my squad.  Can you say the same?
Again, I did not refer to any squad. You are the one who brought this girl into the discussion.

Again, why do you bring "just watching" into this discussion?

Again, the thread is about what makes a good cheerleader. I thought we were being positive on here and not making personal attacks.

Again, thank you for also proving my point.
Great detective work...remember!  But it doesn't matter anyway.... I will not argue with you because it serves no purpose.  But please don't act so innocent.
Again, I did not bring up your squad or any squad.
Could this be a case of your "conscious convicting" you?

I actually meant this generically. You are the one who took it personally..... hmmmmmm

Again, thanks for proving my point.
This discussion is over.
Heart and determination
This one is finished