Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Have Cheerleading Uniforms Gone Too Far?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Another hot topic lately . . . .

I am tired of hearing politicians waste their time on subjects like this when they could be working on other things.

What do the girls/guys think? I think that as long as cheerleaders continue to conduct theirselves with class--things work. But it could take a turn.

What is the reality of the situation?
funny for you to point that out. Most organizations that follow the national federation guidelines dont even bother themselves with this issue. A new addition to the KAPOS rule book is that squads cannot wear uniforms that show the midsection.

I think that what uniforms look like has absolutely nothing to do with cheerleading. its like someone causing a ruckus about how short mens basketball uniforms used to be. haha
"PvilleCheerAlum" Wrote:funny for you to point that out. Most organizations that follow the national federation guidelines dont even bother themselves with this issue. A new addition to the KAPOS rule book is that squads cannot wear uniforms that show the midsection.

I think that what uniforms look like has absolutely nothing to do with cheerleading. its like someone causing a ruckus about how short mens basketball uniforms used to be. haha

Don't you think that uniforms are representative of the schools that the cheerleaders are representing?

I am not sure that I agree with the KAPO's rule book--because I am not real sure that covering the mid-section really does anything. I mean really, go to a football game and see how many players are showing their midsection. I am not real sure that this is fair.

I do disagree with the fact that it has nothing to do with cheerleading--I think it has a lot to do with cheerleading.
i guess that i meant it doesnt have anything to do directly with how good a squad is. i know i have never worn a mid-drift top when i was cheering, and i wouldnt. i think that they should stay in the all star division where they have always been. i dont think they are very tasteful but that is my opinion
I found your response very interesting PCA--

It was even better when you said that you wouldn't wear a midrift top. But--there are a lot of girls who either would, or, they don't feel like they can say that they didn't want to wear anything like that.

I also think that there are some uniforms that are tastefully made up--and still show the midrift area.

I would also be interested in hearing an opinion from a parent . . .. . .
i dont think its went too far, its not went far enough ....yet
i think the uniforms are alright....i mean look how much better the girls look in a really short skirt then they did along tim ago when they practically wore dresses...hey if they got legs then let them show them....now i do think some girls need to try and find longer skirts because if they dont look good in them they dont need to be wearin them....theres just some stuff that u dont need to be seein
PvilleCheerAlum Wrote:i guess that i meant it doesnt have anything to do directly with how good a squad is. i know i have never worn a mid-drift top when i was cheering, and i wouldnt. i think that they should stay in the all star division where they have always been. i dont think they are very tasteful but that is my opinion
:Thumbs: I agree totally!!!!!!!!!!cheerleaders get a bad enough rap now. They don't need anything to add to the fire.
KentuckyHillBilly5321 Wrote:I found your response very interesting PCA--

It was even better when you said that you wouldn't wear a midrift top. But--there are a lot of girls who either would, or, they don't feel like they can say that they didn't want to wear anything like that.

I also think that there are some uniforms that are tastefully made up--and still show the midrift area.

I would also be interested in hearing an opinion from a parent . . .. . .
I am a parent with a cheerleader and I would not like for my girl to wear midrift uniforms. I just think it is a little much for high school cheerleaders.Confusedhh:
PvilleCheerAlum Wrote:i guess that i meant it doesnt have anything to do directly with how good a squad is. i know i have never worn a mid-drift top when i was cheering, and i wouldnt. i think that they should stay in the all star division where they have always been. i dont think they are very tasteful but that is my opinion

I agree!
Lets evaluate the REAL problem with midrift exposing uniforms... Every squad has that girl that is a little "thick"... am I right? She's still got the talent to be on the squad, and helps out in mounts, but we don't want to see her mid-region, do we? No. I think that uniforms should remain the way they are (no midrift, please). Its as if Cheerleaders aren't there just for the "pleasure" of the crowd anyway, really.
this whole discussion is crazy! I don't see anything wrong with any of the uniforms used today. Some squads wear more conservative uniforms than others..... But that is just a matter of taste. Some squads uniforms are bland and dull and others are more flashy. I think it should be up to the squad to make this decision. The rules shouldn't have to go there, at least not yet....

there are still many more important things to take care of first....
I agree, but I hardly think the girls should decide. Maybe let them choose the shoes, ribbons, poms etc.... but uni's... hope. Shapes and sizes must be considered before ordering and it helps if you order the uniform in you actual school colors. Unis should be ordered from both major companies, considering they hold most of the competitions attended in one form or another... thinking companies & their judges don't notice such things is naive.
I agree that the girls should not have the ability to choose any type of uniform they want (ie. something outlandish or that would hurt the school's image with judges, etc.). But the girls should have a substantial say as they will be the ones wearing the uniforms. Of course, the coach/sponsor has to set the guidelines and give the girls the choices that are within those guidelines. That way the girls can be the ones to choose, but the coach/sporsor can make sure that the style, brand, colors and so forth will be best for the particular school's image and goals.

I agree completely! they are not very tasteful! I also don't believe the girls should be given the choice( some girls would choose the low road) I will also go on to say, some of the skirts are way to short. I understand uniforms are used year to year, but some just need to be retired if no one fits in them!
I don't agree with you at all. I think given a choice by their sponsor or coach that MOST of the cheerleaders would choose a very stylish and tasteful uniform. You sound as if you want 1920 era uniforms (which were basically dresses) to return. I think that most of the cheerleading uniforms that I have seen in recent years have been very stylish and tasteful. Each cheerleading squad has to decide what is best for them each year. There are limits of course, but I haven't seen anything that has gone too far. It just takes a bit of common sense.
EKY Sportster Wrote:I don't agree with you at all. I think given a choice by their sponsor or coach that MOST of the cheerleaders would choose a very stylish and tasteful uniform. You sound as if you want 1920 era uniforms (which were basically dresses) to return. I think that most of the cheerleading uniforms that I have seen in recent years have been very stylish and tasteful. Each cheerleading squad has to decide what is best for them each year. There are limits of course, but I haven't seen anything that has gone too far. It just takes a bit of common sense.

No not the 1920's......I still haven't figured out how they could do cartwheels in those things! I didn't say all cheerleading uniforms these days are distasteful, just some of those midriff things. I have seen some unifroms that I just love. Belfry JV had a really cute new one this year, I love PC's orange and Blue (comp) and Pikeville usually has great ones, I love the one pice thing Belfry Varsity has. I just meant the middriff things! Sorry for the misunderstanding!
friendofbelfry Wrote:No not the 1920's......I still haven't figured out how they could do cartwheels in those things! I didn't say all cheerleading uniforms these days are distasteful, just some of those midriff things. I have seen some unifroms that I just love. Belfry JV had a really cute new one this year, I love PC's orange and Blue (comp) and Pikeville usually has great ones, I love the one pice thing Belfry Varsity has. I just meant the middriff things! Sorry for the misunderstanding!
Thanks for compliment on PCs uniform. I really like Belfry's one piece they also look nice.:thumpsup:
Yes, thank you. I love wearing them because they're comfortable and are bright (which makes me feel really spirited). LOL. I think everyone in our region has pretty uniforms. I also like Johnson Central's competiton uniforms. Those are nice. Especially when they did the standing tumbling. It made it look really sharp and clean. Great job girls!
I don't think that short tops and skirts are too revealing, I think they actually can look pretty sharp....when worn by the right girls. There are some girls that either REALLY don't look good in these uniforms or others like myself that feel uncomfortable. Under these circumstances I don't think these uniforms are the best choice. All in All I think it should be left up to vote by the team. As for high school squads, I don't think these uniforms are a good idea, when older people are trying to watch a ballgame, it is rude to have the cheerleaders walk around wearing more skin than cloth. But for Allstar teams where fans come directly for the girls, they shouldn't care how they choose to dress, they come for the routine, not a fashion show.