Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Real Coach -vs- Mommy Coach
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Let's hear thoughts on this issue? If a mommy coach is all a Varisty squad can get @ one time, how long should that one time last?

I am certain there are some mommy coaches who can run programs effectively,(if you know of any, please share) but how fair is it to the daughter, the squad, or the mommy if things are not going so well? What needs to happen?
Great question.

My hope would be that the schools/administrators/BOE's take the hiring of a cheer sponsor/coach very seriously. At both of the schools where I coach--they do. But--money/resources always become a question. There is not a lot of money for ANY coach (to start). And--schools are not going to pay to attract top flight coaches. IF they are lucky, they are going to get someone (maybe a recent college grad, who cheered in college/high school who just started teaching in the school), who has cheer knowledge and has the integrity to run the program the right way. But even those types of coaches are few and far between.

The Mommy coaches are a different question all together. There are some who are objective and try to do the right thing (which is a good start for any coach). But they need to be qualified. And--if they have a child on the team--it is imperative that they are harder on their child than any other member of the squad (that is a good rule of thumb for any coach who has their child as a member of the team). Our BOE does a great job of setting criteria for any/all coaches/sponsors. But I am not familar with the other areas of the state. So--if they are the right person--I am cool with it. But that has to be determined in a very well thought out way.
"KentuckyHillBilly5321" Wrote:Great question.

My hope would be that the schools/administrators/BOE's take the hiring of a cheer sponsor/coach very seriously. At both of the schools where I coach--they do. But--money/resources always become a question. There is not a lot of money for ANY coach (to start). And--schools are not going to pay to attract top flight coaches. IF they are lucky, they are going to get someone (maybe a recent college grad, who cheered in college/high school who just started teaching in the school), who has cheer knowledge and has the integrity to run the program the right way. But even those types of coaches are few and far between.

The Mommy coaches are a different question all together. There are some who are objective and try to do the right thing (which is a good start for any coach). But they need to be qualified. And--if they have a child on the team--it is imperative that they are harder on their child than any other member of the squad (that is a good rule of thumb for any coach who has their child as a member of the team). Our BOE does a great job of setting criteria for any/all coaches/sponsors. But I am not familar with the other areas of the state. So--if they are the right person--I am cool with it. But that has to be determined in a very well thought out way.

EXCELLANT POINTS ONE AND ALL!!! COULDN'T HAVE SAID IT BETTER MYSELF. If there was to be one character trait to be the most important in cheer.... INTEGRITY would be it! Loved your thoughts on coaches kids!!!!!!!!!!!!
i don't think that a cheer mom should be the sponsor of the squad....because they may be doing that just to get their daughter on the squad....and that is completely wrong.....a cheerleader should earn her spot on the squad and not have to have her mother become the coach in order to get to cheer......its all based on talent!!
may i point out that my 6th grade year a girl who tried out for middle school did not make the squad and her mother was the sponser of the squad so personally i don't think the mom being the sponsor if the squad has anything to do with a daughter getting on the squad. It may have something to do with that after the daughter gets on the squad she doesnt want to do the stuff some of the girls do b/c she is the daughter of the sponsor but i personally think thats the only problem with a mother sponsering the squad her daughter is on and half the time the mother is in the stands tellin their daiughter wat to do anyways so she might as well be the sponsor to. Correct me if im wrong
Well, our squad has a mommy coach and it is not a problem except for the daughter. I think that she is rougher on her daughter than any one on the squad because the coach is always afraid that the other cheerleaders and parents will think she is showing favortism. She by no means does that I personally am proud of the way she handles things. Honestly if you did not know that she was the coaches daughter and came to watch a practice you would never figure it out.
This is because your Coach was a successful coach way before she ever had a daughter on her squad! I'm talking about Mommy Coaches who engineer things so their daughter can cheer even if she doesn't have the ability of the rest of the squad. I'm talking about Coaches who say we're just gonna cheer to have fun... when everyone else has busted their tails to have the gymnastics and ability to compete. (it's like doing the "chicken dance" on a full timeout @ the District Tournament, whenever you should be on the floor cheering for your team and leading the crowd to support them!)That's a waste of money and a waste of (4) years that should be full of wonderful events and memories. It's ok for a little while to "veg" and have some fun, but even teenagers get tired of knowing their potential and by the time they're juniors or seniors, understanding why it has to be wasted. It's sad and embarassing for eveyone involved. The girls all end up feeling badly about everything, when they should be able to have positive things to discuss and remember.
IISnakE Wrote:This is because your Coach was a successful coach way before she ever had a daughter on her squad! I'm talking about Mommy Coaches who engineer things so their daughter can cheer even if she doesn't have the ability of the rest of the squad. I'm talking about Coaches who say we're just gonna cheer to have fun... when everyone else has busted their tails to have the gymnastics and ability to compete. (it's like doing the "chicken dance" on a full timeout @ the District Tournament, whenever you should be on the floor cheering for your team and leading the crowd to support them!)That's a waste of money and a waste of (4) years that should be full of wonderful events and memories. It's ok for a little while to "veg" and have some fun, but even teenagers get tired of knowing their potential and by the time they're juniors or seniors, understanding why it has to be wasted. It's sad and embarassing for eveyone involved. The girls all end up feeling badly about everything, when they should be able to have positive things to discuss and remember.
Yes, you are 100% right. My daughter has had two mommy coaches and the first one she had was just like what you just said her daughter was not a cheerleader. Well, she was but she wasn't. When the girls moved into high school and the coach did not see the ability the mommy saw so she didn't take on the squad and it was a mess to say the least. But, that is one thing obout our coach if you don't have it then she won't take you just because of who you are.
I have a friend who is a coach, her daughter cheers. She actually said what is the point of me doing this, if I can't let her have special privilidges!...you can only imagine.
friendofbelfry Wrote:I have a friend who is a coach, her daughter cheers. She actually said what is the point of me doing this, if I can't let her have special privilidges!...you can only imagine.

Uh Oh!!!! That doesn't sound very nice!! LOL.... There is NO way I could coach a squad that my child is on!! NO WAY!!! I would be sooooooo hard on her ( I don't have any girls BTW)....
I don't see why some Mommy coaches are like that. As a parent, wouldn't you WANT your child to be pushed to be all that they can be? And not just let the rules slide? But I guess for every good coach there is a bad one somewhere. I hope to be a coach someday and I vow to never be like some of these ones that have been discussed. It's not right and not fair at all to the other girls who work their butts off all year. But I am glad my coach isn't like that... Best wishes for the upcoming season! <3
IISnakE Wrote:This is because your Coach was a successful coach way before she ever had a daughter on her squad! I'm talking about Mommy Coaches who engineer things so their daughter can cheer even if she doesn't have the ability of the rest of the squad. I'm talking about Coaches who say we're just gonna cheer to have fun... when everyone else has busted their tails to have the gymnastics and ability to compete. (it's like doing the "chicken dance" on a full timeout @ the District Tournament, whenever you should be on the floor cheering for your team and leading the crowd to support them!)That's a waste of money and a waste of (4) years that should be full of wonderful events and memories. It's ok for a little while to "veg" and have some fun, but even teenagers get tired of knowing their potential and by the time they're juniors or seniors, understanding why it has to be wasted. It's sad and embarassing for eveyone involved. The girls all end up feeling badly about everything, when they should be able to have positive things to discuss and remember.

it's like doing the "chicken dance" on a full timeout @ the District Tournament, whenever you should be on the floor cheering for your team and leading the crowd to support them!)

Tell me this didn't happen!!:thatsfunn
IISnakE Wrote:it's like doing the "chicken dance" on a full timeout @ the District Tournament, whenever you should be on the floor cheering for your team and leading the crowd to support them!)

[QUOTE=jchsrulz]Tell me this didn't happen!!:thatsfunn

JCHSRULZ.... you know it happened.... you were there.:howdy:
Was it this year? If it was, I didn't notice ya'll do it! So don't be too embarrassed! Next time, send a signal over to our side, me and my buddies may join in.LOL
I can see the headlines now: (The Chicken Dance ends the fued between rival schools!)LOL:lmao:

IISnakE Wrote:[QUOTE=IISnakE]it's like doing the "chicken dance" on a full timeout @ the District Tournament, whenever you should be on the floor cheering for your team and leading the crowd to support them!)

[color=indigo]

JCHSRULZ.... you know it happened.... you were there.:howdy:
Heck yeah, it was this year! It was such a close game and since we didn't do not one single solitary floor cheer.... we used that ever school spirit enhancing.... CHICKEN DANCE!!!LOL!!!
Yikes!!! I better be careful.... I might make someone mad....
Hey JC, you weren't offended by my comment in the spud thread were you? Methinks I hit a nerve on someone. They went off on me and told me to leave PHS... yeah right... I may have considered it once, but staying makes it so much nicer to support all the children who work so hard.... and besides it's like my grandfather used to say, "Honey, you can pack up and go anywhere in the United States of America and the 'so &so's' will be there to greet you as you get off the bus!"
Sooooo..... It's better to stay and deal with what there is to be dealt with, because it will make us stronger and if the good Lord brings me to it, He'll bring me through it!

hey.. if I offended you in the other thread, I am sorry. (that was not my intent):Thumbs:
No harm, No Foul!:thumpsup:

Keep your head up, I feel that you should stay at PHS. Switching to the cross-creek rival has hurt a lot of students life around here. The other students can still get along, but the parents are the idiots about the whole situation.:devilflam

IISnakE Wrote:Heck yeah, it was this year! It was such a close game and since we didn't do not one single solitary floor cheer.... we used that ever school spirit enhancing.... CHICKEN DANCE!!!LOL!!!
Hey JC, you weren't offended by my comment in the spud thread were you? Methinks I hit a nerve on someone. They went off on me and told me to leave PHS... yeah right... I may have considered it once, but staying makes it so much nicer to support all the children who work so hard.... and besides it's like my grandfather used to say, "Honey, you can pack up and go anywhere in the United States of America and the 'so &so's' will be there to greet you as you get off the bus!"
Sooooo..... It's better to stay and deal with what there is to be dealt with, because it will make us stronger and if the good Lord brings me to it, He'll bring me through it!

hey.. if I offended you in the other thread, I am sorry. (that was not my intent):Thumbs:
IISnakE Wrote:Heck yeah, it was this year! It was such a close game and since we didn't do not one single solitary floor cheer.... we used that ever school spirit enhancing.... CHICKEN DANCE!!!LOL!!!

You didn't "hit a nerve" with me about JAD. I have my opinions too, I just choose to keep opinions about coaches (unless positive)to myself. How do we teach our kids to respect coaches and other adults if all we do is talk about them negatively. I also don't like the fact that you can hide behind a computer and say it. That was my beef, but opinions are like behinds, we all have one and some are bigger and more "out there" than others.

As for the chicken dance and other such incedents - I wasn't paying a lot of attention to the cheerleaders at the game, but the last two games PHS and JCHS played were the wildest games I have ever seen. No one was watching the cheerleaders because the fans were WILD! It was the best I have seen from either school in a long time. BIG improvement on Paintsville's part, but JC was great too.:Cheerlead
[QUOTE=In the Know]You didn't "hit a nerve" with me about JAD. I have my opinions too, I just choose to keep opinions about coaches (unless positive)to myself. How do we teach our kids to respect coaches and other adults if all we do is talk about them negatively. I also don't like the fact that you can hide behind a computer and say it. That was my beef, but opinions are like behinds, we all have one and some are bigger and more "out there" than others.

As for the chicken dance and other such incedents - I wasn't paying a lot of attention to the cheerleaders at the game, but the last two games PHS and JCHS played were the wildest games I have ever seen. No one was watching the cheerleaders because the fans were WILD! It was the best I have seen from either school in a long time. BIG improvement on Paintsville's part, but JC was great too.:Cheerlead[/QUOT
I try my best to do likewise. Respect, however, is earned not arbitrarily given just because of position. I try my best to not bash coaches in public either. I haven't said nearly what I'd like to, but then hopefully all you smarties out there have figured most of it out. This is my outlet.... to vent, I do so sparingly. I have stayed out of the way because it just made things worse on my daughter... believe that or not.

When anyone joins & posts on here, they're hiding. If identities are shared or even deduced... I guess that's fine too.

I totally agree that those games were great, but there was a faction of us up near the very tippy top, who have paid for gymnastics and stunt classes (for years... many years) and everything else in between and we'd like to see what we're paying for sometimes... (since we don't compete) like in the huge heat of the district tournament when everyone is willing to stand up and cheer.
(The "chicken dance" was not what we expected.... for our money or our time)

I thought Miss Strugill had her girls looking and performing exactly like a top notch squad should look... it made me nostalgic for those days @ Paintsville.

I realize that the cheer leaders are not what many or even most of the people come to see @ a ballgame, but I bet there's several proud parents and grandparents, and other friends and relatives who notice them more than you think... they pay admission and come to the games to support their girls and possibly catch a shot or two.(it's kinda like a role reversal thing...Smile )

Anyway... If I caused you anything, I am sorry. I surely didn't mean to. :Thumbs: