Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: 15th Region KAPOS 2006
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
The 2006, KAPOS 15th Region competition is looming in the not too distant future. Feb. 25, 2006.
This competition will offer several divisions for area squads to perform their 2-1/2 minute routines.
Small- 4-12
Medium- 13-16
Large- 17-20
There is a traditional division where (1) cheer and (1) dance routine can be performed.
For more details you may go to www.kapos.org or www.khsaa.org and click on the spirit link that will automatically take you to the KAPOS site for further explanation of the rules and regs for the upcoming competition.

Since the meeting for each participating squad to declare their division of choice is Monday @ 6:30pm @ Pikeville High School everyone can be thinking aboutwhat they would like to discuss. I'm curious to know where everyone is going to compete, who will bring their "A" game, and who is still trying to figure out what their "A" game might be. Good Luck to all and i hope everyone goes out and supports their respective cheer leaders. They've more than earned your support.:champ:
JUST FOR EVERYONE'S INFO!!! :Cheerlead

KAPOS

<HR style="COLOR: #e1e4f2" SIZE=1>
Okay... tonight was the meeting to declare.

Small-SVHS
JCHS
P-burg

Med- South Floyd
Pikeville (Maroon)

Lg.- MCHS
Belfry (varsity)
BLHS
Pike CCHS
SCHS

Traditional- Pikeville (white)

Co-ed- Belfry

Paintsville didn't show. ERHS didn't show and they cheered last year. I would have liked to have seen ACHS and Phelps.... LCHS doesn't have much and that's bizarre since their ms won nationals 2 years ago!!!
:Cheerlead
I am amazed that squads are allowed to change their places after they've declared. I know there are injuries and illness, but why not have everyone just cheer where they're gonna cheer despite the illness and injury? Why declare early at all? Why not just show up on the day of competition and let the chips fall where they may?
&quot;Fuzzy5118&quot; Wrote:I am amazed that squads are allowed to change their places after they've declared. I know there are injuries and illness, but

I agree!! Once you declare, you should have to compete in that division!! Yes people may quit or get hurt, I think in those cases you could drop down to another division but to see the list and add people and/or change division just because you dont think you can win again a particular squad just isnt right!!
How is Belfry competing Co-Ed?? and which squad is suppose to be competing Co-Ed as the red squad only has one male and the white squad has none?
&quot;halfstep&quot; Wrote:JUST FOR EVERYONE'S INFO!!! :Cheerlead

KAPOS

<HR style="COLOR: #e1e4f2" SIZE=1>

Okay... tonight was the meeting to declare.

Small-SVHS
JCHS
P-burg

Med- South Floyd
Pikeville (Maroon)

Lg.- MCHS
Belfry (varsity)
BLHS
Pike CCHS
SCHS

Traditional- Pikeville (white)

Co-ed- Belfry

Paintsville didn't show. ERHS didn't show and they cheered last year. I would have liked to have seen ACHS and Phelps.... LCHS doesn't have much and that's bizarre since their ms won nationals 2 years ago!!!

Does seem rather odd that LCHS isn't competing but maybe the coach lost interest when her own daughter who was a cheerleader transferred.:confused: Hate to see the talent go to waste there, hang in there girls maybe next year will be better!
&quot;Dream_Weaver&quot; Wrote:How is Belfry competing Co-Ed?? and which squad is suppose to be competing Co-Ed as the red squad only has one male and the white squad has none?

The white squad has 4 guys on their squad. The red squad has 1 and will be competing in 2 1/2 large.
[QUOTE=&quot;Pirate Pal&quot;]The white squad has 4 guys on their squad. The red squad has 1 and will be competing in 2 1/2 large.[/QUO

I am glad to hear that. I really wasn't aware that they had any guys--this is me removing foot from mouth...:roses:

I am sure that both squads will represent Belfry well....they always do :Clap:
I believe breaking things down into divisions is a good idea. It allows squads of every size to be able to compete. The biggest detriment to cheer, has been people using cheer to cover their butts on Title IX issues within their schools. Heck, it's always the easiest place to show that you're in compliance.Tongueuke: The thing that really bothers me is not cheering for the girls as well as the boys, but being made to do it by a group of people who refuse recognize cheer as a sport & refuse to put one dime towards camps, uniforms, travel expenses, and (e) all of the above. Where does the KHSAA or schools, who do not fund cheer programs, get off telling cheer squads who they MUST cheer for? :omg: Amazing!
&quot;Fuzzy5118&quot; Wrote:I believe breaking things down into divisions is a good idea. It allows squads of every size to be able to compete. The biggest detriment to cheer, has been people using cheer to cover their butts on Title IX issues within their schools. Heck, it's always the easiest place to show that you're in compliance.Tongueuke: The thing that really bothers me is not cheering for the girls as well as the boys, but being made to do it by a group of people who refuse recognize cheer as a sport & refuse to put one dime towards camps, uniforms, travel expenses, and (e) all of the above. Where does the KHSAA or schools, who do not fund cheer programs, get off telling cheer squads who they MUST cheer for? :omg: Amazing!

:Clap: :Clap: :Clap: :Clap: :Clap: EXACTLY!!!!!
&quot;Fuzzy5118&quot; Wrote:I believe breaking things down into divisions is a good idea. It allows squads of every size to be able to compete. The biggest detriment to cheer, has been people using cheer to cover their butts on Title IX issues within their schools. Heck, it's always the easiest place to show that you're in compliance.Tongueuke: The thing that really bothers me is not cheering for the girls as well as the boys, but being made to do it by a group of people who refuse recognize cheer as a sport & refuse to put one dime towards camps, uniforms, travel expenses, and (e) all of the above. Where does the KHSAA or schools, who do not fund cheer programs, get off telling cheer squads who they MUST cheer for? :omg: Amazing!

:theman:
that is a fabulous point. i can not even start to go into how much fund raising i had to do back in the day. i think a couple of years we wrapped presents at wal mart to raise money for nationals. HORRIBLE!!

Anyway, KAPOS is poorly represents the states cheerleading talent. You never see any louisville squads like Male and Manual. You never see greenup county either for that matter. KAPOS is all politics.

And for everyones information in case you didnt know, Pikeville marroon is the boys varsity squad and Pikeville white is the Girls Varsity squad.

When i was a senior we competed in traditional. I am sad that they only perform 1 cheer and a pom now. We used to have the gymnastics cheer where you could stunt and tumble, a plain cheer where you just did jumps and motions, and then the pom.
Pville Cheer Alum- You are exactly right about some squads not showing up. It always seemed when we'd go to Greenup they'd be there but they never came to our place. I actually have a cousins that cheers for Manual and they just won NCA Nationals. They do cheer at most games.
&quot;PvilleCheerAlum&quot; Wrote:that is a fabulous point. i can not even start to go into how much fund raising i had to do back in the day. i think a couple of years we wrapped presents at wal mart to raise money for nationals. HORRIBLE!!

Anyway, KAPOS is poorly represents the states cheerleading talent. You never see any louisville squads like Male and Manual. You never see greenup county either for that matter. KAPOS is all politics.

And for everyones information in case you didnt know, Pikeville marroon is the boys varsity squad and Pikeville white is the Girls Varsity squad.

When i was a senior we competed in traditional. I am sad that they only perform 1 cheer and a pom now. We used to have the gymnastics cheer where you could stunt and tumble, a plain cheer where you just did jumps and motions, and then the pom.

I graduated in 1989 and cheered all 4 years at Belfry. When we went to state there were no divisions at all. There was no such thing as 2 1/2 minute. We all had to do the Gymnastic Cheers, Plain Cheer, Pom Routine. We didn't use mats (just the hard gym floor), we didn't have spots for extensions or tosses, almost every illegal move there is today was legal then.

I love it!!
I love these threads and this great discussion!
Good Luck Prestonsburg!!!
ERHS isn't going to KAPOS. They look better this year than they have EVER, but something happened and they aren't going.
Oh well....I would love for Lakan Looney to have thrown that full for everyone. It looks great!
But before anyone says anything.....it isn't that the girls don't think they're good enough....it comes down to a new coach, it seems that she may be rooting for Belfry :redboxer: or at least she was at the ballgame when ER played Belfry at Belfry. All dressed in her proud RED tshirt, rooting against the school she teaches at and coaches for....whats that say for character? Hmmmm.

GOOD LUCK to all girls at KAPOS!! This is your time to shine....:mad:
&quot;ridgewarrior&quot; Wrote:ERHS isn't going to KAPOS. They look better this year than they have EVER, but something happened and they aren't going.
Oh well....I would love for Lakan Looney to have thrown that full for everyone. It looks great!
But before anyone says anything.....it isn't that the girls don't think they're good enough....it comes down to a new coach, it seems that she may be rooting for Belfry :redboxer: or at least she was at the ballgame when ER played Belfry at Belfry. All dressed in her proud RED tshirt, rooting against the school she teaches at and coaches for....whats that say for character? Hmmmm.

GOOD LUCK to all girls at KAPOS!! This is your time to shine....:mad:

:wtf1: Is she Looney???

Burn her at the stake, I say!!!:bow:
Seriously, that is so :lame: She needs to step aside, at not wait to do it either!!! Let her hear it every chance!TongueirateSku :Skull03: :ChairHit:
Go Prestonsburg!!!!!
&quot;The Guru&quot; Wrote::wtf1: Is she Looney???

Burn her at the stake, I say!!!:bow:
Seriously, that is so :lame: She needs to step aside, at not wait to do it either!!! Let her hear it every chance!TongueirateSku :Skull03: :ChairHit:

Who is their coach?
&quot;Phoenix&quot; Wrote:Who is their coach?
Nikki Cline-she is new this year. Their old coach quit because of her 'growing family'...a couple of small kids.
Poor girls....I hate it for them. They have a lot of talent and tons of tumbling! Lakan Looney's full can't even be shown off....and trust me, it is worthy of showing off! Wish I could say next year--but shes a senior.
&quot;Fuzzy5118&quot; Wrote:I am amazed that squads are allowed to change their places after they've declared. I know there are injuries and illness, but why not have everyone just cheer where they're gonna cheer despite the illness and injury? Why declare early at all? Why not just show up on the day of competition and let the chips fall where they may?

I Admit, I Know Next To Nothing On How Cheerleading Competitions Are Arranged, But If I Am Reading This Correctly It Is Broken Down Into Divisions. You Have To Choose Which Division You Want To Compete In Prior To The Competion, Then You Can Choose To Compete In A Different Division When You Arrive At The Competition. Is This Correct. Wouldn't This Be The Same As A Basketball Team "Drawing" For Spots In A Tournament, Then When They Arrived To Play, Change Their Mind And Want To Play Against Someone Else??? Seems Like That This Shouldn't Be Allowed To Happen. If Cheerleading Is Seeking To Be "Recognized" As A Sport By The KHSAA, Then Maybe They Need To Get Their House In Order And Not Allow Things Like This To Happen.
Not to mention what it tells the cheerleaders about sportsmanship, fair play, leadership (which starts at the top), respect.... I could go on and on.
I was at last yrs competition and saw someone from ER try to do the full and she landed hard on the side of her head. We in the stands were afraid she had broken her neck. Hope this girl that your talking about can do better than the one that tried.

:Shaking:
:Shaking::Shaking:

Big suprises today at the regional competition!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
&quot;fball13&quot; Wrote::Cheerlead

:Shaking:
:Shaking::Shaking:

Big suprises today at the regional competition!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

????what surprises???
Results????
Small- Pikeville Maroon
Medium- Johnson Central
Large- Magoffin
Traditional- Pikeville White
Co-Ed- Belfry
&quot;GYM&quot; Wrote:If Cheerleading Is Seeking To Be "Recognized" As A Sport By The KHSAA, Then Maybe They Need To Get Their House In Order And Not Allow Things Like This To Happen.

They dont want it to be made a sport by KHSAA. if they make cheerleading a sport on the state level, national championships are out of the question. They will never do that in KY because there are too many squads from KY that attend and win national competitions.

KHSAA already affiliates itself with KAPOS and that is as far as it needs to go. If KHSAA takes over, more and more rules will implicated on cheerleading. They recognize it in some states, and those states are not allowed to build stunts! that is crazy.