Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Stacey Poole Sitting and Waiting
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Stacey Poole was the first commit of the #1 rated class in 2010. He wasn't looked upon as a token addition but possibly a player that could give valuable minutes in the dribble drive motion offense.

Rivals and Scout both agreed that he was a Top 35 player in the 2010 class and had great things to say about his game going into college.

Jerry Meyer of Rivals.com: "Poole is an elite athlete's in regard to explosiveness, strength and body control. He excels at attacking the basket, drawing contact and finishing. An average outside shooter at this point, Poole has promise in this regard based on his touch near the basket on the move. A solid wing ball handler, Poole also has the ability to dominate his position as a defender and rebounder."

John Calipari had this to say about Poole after he signed on the dotted line. "Stacey has the skill set and the work ethic to play well in our system. He's a slasher who can play multiple positions and a defender that is capable of shutting down people. He should earn more playing time as the season progresses."

If Stacey Poole has the work ethic and the skill set to play for Kentucky, then what has went wrong?

Poole was the only player that did not leave the bench yesterday in the loss at Vanderbilt. Polson, Hood, and Vargas all saw time in the game. Poole just set and watched.

The last time Poole saw the floor was in a blowout win vs. LSU. He played 4 minutes and was 0-1 from the field. Stacey has played a total of 42 minutes and in that time is 1-9 from the floor, 8 rebounds, 1 assist, 1 turnover, and 4 total points.

How many recruits in the 2010 class ranked as highly as Stacey Poole has had a more unimpressive season?

The bigger question is what has he done to not deserve minutes over a player like Jarrod Polson who doesn't even have a recruiting profile on Rivals or Scout?

Maybe we will never know why Stacey Poole ever gets off the bench, but it really is perplexing to me since one of the Cats main problems is depth.

If playing time for Poole doesn't change, I don't see any chance of him returning for next season.

Stacey Poole being a Kentucky Wildcat could be in the past after this season, and him transferring could definitely be on the horizon.

http://www.nationofblue.com/stacey-poole...ting-5296/
we could really use him but i believe if he doesn't get any playing time then he will be gone at the end of the season
It may depend on how may of this years players opt for the draft, and how many of the new recruits enroll at UK. If only one of UK's freshmen enters the draft then the chances of Poole transfering are good.
Old School Wrote:It may depend on how may of this years players opt for the draft, and how many of the new recruits enroll at UK. If only one of UK's freshmen enters the draft then the chances of Poole transfering are good.

I think Knight and Jones are for sure gone. And Lamb may leave as well.
LClion4life Wrote:I think Knight and Jones are for sure gone. And Lamb may leave as well.

I think that the uncertainty of an 2011-2012 NBA season may cause many underclassmen to rethink their situation about declaring for the draft.
I havent seen the kid practice. SO who knows. Maybe he was just overrated.
Is there a possibility for a red shirt at this point, or has he played too much?
I really think that Stacey is in for the long run. He would be foolish to think that he would be a player that would get 25 minutes or so a game. I think that he is in a good position to have his breakout seasons during his junior and senior years and he has to realize that Cal knows best and is the best avenue to his future as a professional ball player. I think that the kid has a good head on his shoulders and will think about all of this. He should be back.
The question that I have always asked is, "How bad can he be?" A walk-on is getting significantly more minutes than he is. Some players are awful in practice, but good in the game. Maybe he is one of those.
The question is, How long will he sit and wait.
LWC Wrote:The question that I have always asked is, "How bad can he be?" A walk-on is getting significantly more minutes than he is. Some players are awful in practice, but good in the game. Maybe he is one of those.

I thought Polson was on scholarship this year? Nonetheless, I agree, Poole definitely has the talent to be playing over him.
LWC Wrote:The question that I have always asked is, "How bad can he be?" A walk-on is getting significantly more minutes than he is. Some players are awful in practice, but good in the game. Maybe he is one of those.

Well, you see the problem is that they are two completely different positions on the team. Poole is the same kind of position as Hood and seeing as though Hood comes in and gets yanked out we just cant really expect too much of a chance that Stacey will get in with Hood's spot. With Polson, when Cal believes that Knight needs to sit or has to do some teaching to do, Jared is the next option after sliding Lamb over. I guess one would assume that Miller could resume the point position when Knight has to be out but it usually falls to Lamb which most of the time does not run too smoothly. Thus sometimes warrents Polson for a little bit of time. I think that saying that Polson is ahead of Poole on the deapth chart is technically right but you have to think of who is going in for who.

Stacey will get his chance, he just needs to keep his head up!
there has to be something cal knows that we dont. This kid appears to be just as good as better than anyone outside of our 6 man rotation.
Dont know if Cal thinks hes not ready or if there is some turmoil there but either way he has to better than polson and hood.
I also think that Stacey is in for the long haul. I hope he starts seeing more playing time..I really think he could be a big contributor.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:there has to be something cal knows that we dont. This kid appears to be just as good as better than anyone outside of our 6 man rotation.
Dont know if Cal thinks hes not ready or if there is some turmoil there but either way he has to better than polson and hood.

I think that he is bringing his defense around.... Which may not result on him getting on the court this year.... Maybe some next year, as a back up. But I really think that the future is bright.

vundy33 Wrote:I also think that Stacey is in for the long haul. I hope he starts seeing more playing time..I really think he could be a big contributor.

I think that same thing. He is that kind of player that will be a strong cornerstone for the years to come.
I think Stacey is also in for the long haul, and I also agree with mister kitty that it is crap that they have Polson getting more minutes than Poole.
Aslan Wrote:Stacey Poole was the first commit of the #1 rated class in 2010. He wasn't looked upon as a token addition but possibly a player that could give valuable minutes in the dribble drive motion offense.

Rivals and Scout both agreed that he was a Top 35 player in the 2010 class and had great things to say about his game going into college.

Jerry Meyer of Rivals.com: "Poole is an elite athlete's in regard to explosiveness, strength and body control. He excels at attacking the basket, drawing contact and finishing. An average outside shooter at this point, Poole has promise in this regard based on his touch near the basket on the move. A solid wing ball handler, Poole also has the ability to dominate his position as a defender and rebounder."

John Calipari had this to say about Poole after he signed on the dotted line. "Stacey has the skill set and the work ethic to play well in our system. He's a slasher who can play multiple positions and a defender that is capable of shutting down people. He should earn more playing time as the season progresses."

If Stacey Poole has the work ethic and the skill set to play for Kentucky, then what has went wrong?

Poole was the only player that did not leave the bench yesterday in the loss at Vanderbilt. Polson, Hood, and Vargas all saw time in the game. Poole just set and watched.

The last time Poole saw the floor was in a blowout win vs. LSU. He played 4 minutes and was 0-1 from the field. Stacey has played a total of 42 minutes and in that time is 1-9 from the floor, 8 rebounds, 1 assist, 1 turnover, and 4 total points.

How many recruits in the 2010 class ranked as highly as Stacey Poole has had a more unimpressive season?
The bigger question is what has he done to not deserve minutes over a player like Jarrod Polson who doesn't even have a recruiting profile on Rivals or Scout?

Maybe we will never know why Stacey Poole ever gets off the bench, but it really is perplexing to me since one of the Cats main problems is depth.

If playing time for Poole doesn't change, I don't see any chance of him returning for next season.

Stacey Poole being a Kentucky Wildcat could be in the past after this season, and him transferring could definitely be on the horizon.

http://www.nationofblue.com/stacey-poole...ting-5296/

Vargas
^Don't know what you mean by Vargas..
Vargas is horrible and he's getting minutes.. Why not Poole?
if i remember right didnt liggins sit on the bench for most of the first half of last season. maybe its something like that.
ROCKSOLID69 Wrote:if i remember right didnt liggins sit on the bench for most of the first half of last season. maybe its something like that.

Liggins was having Academic issues.
Ballers Wrote:^Don't know what you mean by Vargas..
Vargas is horrible and he's getting minutes.. Why not Poole?

Look at the bold in my quote.
zaga_fan Wrote:Look at the bold in my quote.

I dont think i seen ELoy ranked anywhere ion 2010?
But i totally agree with him being awful.
Wildcatk23 Wrote:I dont think i seen ELoy ranked anywhere ion 2010?
But i totally agree with him being awful.

He was the highest rank player coming out of JC. I also believe he was a 4 star before he commited to Florida.
Aslan Wrote:He was the highest rank player coming out of JC. I also believe he was a 4 star before he commited to Florida.

I couldnt find his rank anywhere.
Wildcatk23 Wrote:I couldnt find his rank anywhere.

Look harder. He was ranked #26.
http://rivals.yahoo.com/basketballrecrui...ls150/2008
Aslan Wrote:I thought Polson was on scholarship this year? Nonetheless, I agree, Poole definitely has the talent to be playing over him.

How do you definitley know that?? Do you attend all the UK practices?? Or are just that much smarter than Coach Cal?? Why are you hanging out in Perry Co? You should be a D1 Coach with all your knowledge!:eyeroll:
superfreak Wrote:How do you definitley know that?? Do you attend all the UK practices?? Or are just that much smarter than Coach Cal?? Why are you hanging out in Perry Co? You should be a D1 Coach with all your knowledge!:eyeroll:

Thank you, lol.
I'm just saying, there's a reason Poole was highly rated by scouts coming out of high school, and Polson wasn't even rated.
idc how many practices anyone has seen...
it isn't hard to see that Poole is better than Polson.
He might have a bad attitude or simply not fit into the system....
but Poole has him topped in just about every category on both sides of the ball lol
^^^Yeah, Poole is better than Polson. That's easy to see even in the very limited minutes he's seen. It's not opinion, it's just fact.
alot of people are saying vargas sucks, which he does, but we have no big men so that is the only reason the poor guy sees the floor. I think he has good upside in a few years. Poole on the other hand is not playing at all for the most part. none of us knows what goes on behind close doors and if there is something going on then cal is doing the right thing by keeping it under wraps. Everyone in the BBN doesn't have to know everything going on with the team.
Pages: 1 2