Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: I have ME but want XP...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Do I need to buy the program or pay someone to upgrade for me? What is the best (by best, I mean cheapest) way to go about it.

Once I get it...is it easy to upgrade my system?
I may be able to help ya out PP, check your PM's
PP, there are many people that have copies of XP on discs. You ask around and I'm sure that one or more of your friends will have a disc and the code for it to upgrade. You can reuse the code ALOT of times.
Borrow it forsure if you can.. that would save you a lot of money
You can just find some one that has a burner adn the Xp on ther computer and burn it on there for you....
Thanks guys. I think I got my answer.:rock:
"thetribe" Wrote:PP, there are many people that have copies of XP on discs. You ask around and I'm sure that one or more of your friends will have a disc and the code for it to upgrade. You can reuse the code ALOT of times.

No, you can't. The whole product activation scheme is deisgned to ensure that.

PP ... buy it. But before you do that, you better upgrade your hard drive (XP needs s p a c e) ... and add RAM until you're running 512 megabytes (like I said, XP needs s p a c e). You'll especially need those upgrades with a new version of Windows coming out toward the end of 2006. And now we're running into money.

It might actually be cheaper just to go to Best Buy and get a new computer, unless you're using a laptop.
"Maui Nick" Wrote:No, you can't. The whole product activation scheme is deisgned to ensure that.

PP ... buy it. But before you do that, you better upgrade your hard drive (XP needs s p a c e) ... and add RAM until you're running 512 megabytes (like I said, XP needs s p a c e). You'll especially need those upgrades with a new version of Windows coming out toward the end of 2006. And now we're running into money.

It might actually be cheaper just to go to Best Buy and get a new computer, unless you're using a laptop.
Actually you can burn it and it will work trust me ive seen it done my cuz did it and you don;t need 512mb i have 256mb and mine works fine....
"Maui Nick" Wrote:No, you can't. The whole product activation scheme is deisgned to ensure that.

Maui Nick, what are you talking about? You can use the product key OVER AND OVER on different computers. The product activation "scheme" or whatever you're talking about isn't neccessary, and you don't have to 'register'... ever if that's what you mean.

Windows XP needs no more than 5 gigabytes of hard drive space which is in just about every hard drive since 1996. I'm guessing her computer isn't that old, and personal storage should not be a problem after the XP install, even if it's only a 20/40 gigabyte hard drive.

Windows XP Home needs exactly 128 megabytes of ram to operate. More ram is almost always better though, and while it is a nice tip you gave, it's not neccessary to pump your ram past 128 for XP.

The new version of windows is completely optional. Vista will be another run-along OS that will blend into XP, and any OS running on 9x or NT technologies.

Vista is rumoured and I've seen it on the specs sheets myself that it will take 1024 megabytes (1 gig) of ram to run Vista well, however the required isn't out yet as per my knowledge.

Oh ye of little faith.

I don't know what software or computer company that you work for but I assure you that you can use the product key over and over and over and over AND OVER. I've seen it done. Hell, I've done it.

And you don't need much RAM. I've ran XP on a computer from '97 with Windows 98 on it... It works.
If at all possible if your going to even attempt to buy Windows XP

It's almost cheaper to buy a new computer as well - If I was you, I'd wait til the new Windows Vista comes out. It's going to be a great hit.
"thetribe" Wrote:Oh ye of little faith.

I don't know what software or computer company that you work for but I assure you that you can use the product key over and over and over and over AND OVER. I've seen it done. Hell, I've done it.

Yeah, that's good for you. At least, until the next in a long line of Windows XP security holes is discovered and you can't get updates because Microsoft refuses to service two installations of Windows that happen to share a product key.

Quote:And you don't need much RAM. I've ran XP on a computer from '97 with Windows 98 on it... It works.

Yes but how well? Microsoft recommends 256 megs of RAM for most users, and once you start adding in things like anti-virus programs, Web browsers, word processors, spyware killers and so forth, that 256 fills up very quickly.

Besides, computer years are like dog years cubed. She's better off replacing it, and if her monitor and other peripherals (keyboard, mouse/trackball, printer, and so forth) work well, she can get just a computer -- and a pretty good one -- for not much more than a copy of WinXP by itself.
I know you can use the same XP CD on more than 1 computer as well.. it's a lot smarter to borrow it from somebody than buy it
"Maui Nick" Wrote:Yeah, that's good for you. At least, until the next in a long line of Windows XP security holes is discovered and you can't get updates because Microsoft refuses to service two installations of Windows that happen to share a product key.

Yes but how well? Microsoft recommends 256 megs of RAM for most users, and once you start adding in things like anti-virus programs, Web browsers, word processors, spyware killers and so forth, that 256 fills up very quickly.

Besides, computer years are like dog years cubed. She's better off replacing it, and if her monitor and other peripherals (keyboard, mouse/trackball, printer, and so forth) work well, she can get just a computer -- and a pretty good one -- for not much more than a copy of WinXP by itself.

It is good for me because I don't even update my Windows. I run them as is and couldn't care less. And the computer that was from '97 was running XP just fine. It had lots of software, printer, scanner, digital camera, and loads of stuff installed on it as well. She was better off replacing the computer IF she had the hundreds of dollars to spend. She got the Windows for free and it runs perfectly..
XP is better than ME 2 ta 1
Agreed. ^
I havent heard of Vista, I just bought a new laptop last week. It has XP on it is Vista something to upgrade to, I mean XP to Vista.
Vista is not released.

I got a email from Cnet saying the release date may be pushed back into 07'.
Cameron Crazy Wrote:Vista is not released.

I got a email from Cnet saying the release date may be pushed back into 07'.

It was too stable. They needed to include more bugs. Plus, the blue background for the BSOD was a shade off.
^ Lol

Sounds like a new XP is coming out if we go by that <sarcasm>
win ME bites. if the tech industry had lemon laws, microsoft would have had to really pay up..
Heard that cornwolf. I wouldn't have taken ME if they would PAY ME to use it. I love XP.
ME does suck. I had it on my old ghetto computer. SUCKS!
U have to upgrade it
Pirate Pal Wrote:Do I need to buy the program or pay someone to upgrade for me? What is the best (by best, I mean cheapest) way to go about it.

Once I get it...is it easy to upgrade my system?
I have a copy of Xp pro and home edition if you want it. If your running ME I think you have to reformat your computer then do a clean install with xp, So save all you want saved.

I also have a copy of windows 2000 advanced server its alot like xp just the graphics still look like ME there is a little difference in them. Any way windows 2000 is the one I am using....And it is simple to install just put the disc in and it will install and it keeps all of your files on your PC so you dony have to save. But I always save mine anway never know what might happen...ask Mrs. BT ive been yelled at plenty of times......lol
I need everything on that computer gone anyway. I think it's at least 9 years old.
You could always install Linux , its free lol
When I had windows xp I was able to install it with 64 mb and no less.