Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: You've got to be kidding!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
I know we've seen it before from Coach Cal, but how does he not call that last timeout when Knight crossed halfcourt?!

I don't know what to say other than..unbelievable.
i don't think he knows what he's doing. he only lets 6 players play and 3 of them combine for most of the points each game, it seems that recruiting is the only thing Cal can do and the Recruits he gets are here for a year and are gone
Coach Cal is a great recruiter, but not much of a game coach.
Jarons Wrote:Coach Cal is a great recruiter, but not much of a game coach.

I wouldn't say "not much" of a "game" coach. He may not be the best out there, but like I've said before he's still a heck of a good one. A lot of coaches would've eased up when Florida got up 13. Coach Cal simply would not let his guys quit and you have to applaud him for that. He also played a zone (which he rarely ever does) against the Florida offense and got his guys to really guard and move their feet. The defensive stops we made in this zone and offense from Knight and Jones had us right back in contention for the win.

Just look at the road games we have lost: In every game we took the lead late after being down by double digits (I'm not 100% certain about Georgia if we took the lead; I know we were within 1 point) and ended up losing a small margin. Coach Cal has coached us back into those games in very tough environments.

I still question his decison to not call a timeout tonight though. I understand it would have given Billy Donovan a chance to draw up a good defense but still, you have to set up an understood offensive play for these freshmen to execute. Knight just seemed to dribble some clock out and tried to throw up the big shot.
Wow, gotta love UK fa.........Cheerers?

Last year everyone on here was praising his coaching ability. CAL is amazing. And we lose some bad games and there saying hes a bad coach. Come on guys...
UK loses 5 games this season by an average of 2 points. We were COACHED back into those games a great deal and Coach Cal is the best coach UK could've ever landed. He is a guy who is never stops coaching on the sidelines and isn't afraid to coach his star struck freshmen to death even if it hurts their feelings. He yells and coaches the entire game, rarley taking a breath.

I'm sick of UK fans acting like it always Cal's fault, it isn't anyone's fault. We are young and replaced 90% of our roster last year and we are having a great exciting season. I was sick and upset at the end of the game but in 2 minutes I got over it and realized I root for the best program in college basketball and with Cal it will remain the same. If you want mediocre go and sit out a few years and get back into the game with whatever team Gillespie coaches for in the future. None of us are in practice or know the kids personally, therefore, our opinions don't mean squat compared to what the coaches know firsthand.

Why call a TO, we got a good look and the guy who needed to shoot the rock shot it, we couldn't have asked for anything else other than the ball going in, therefore, a TO is a mot point.

Lay Off and enjoy or root for someone else. GEEEEZ.
3wishes Wrote:UK loses 5 games this season by an average of 2 points. We were COACHED back into those games a great deal and Coach Cal is the best coach UK could've ever landed. He is a guy who is never stops coaching on the sidelines and isn't afraid to coach his star struck freshmen to death even if it hurts their feelings. He yells and coaches the entire game, rarley taking a breath.

I'm sick of UK fans acting like it always Cal's fault, it isn't anyone's fault. We are young and replaced 90% of our roster last year and we are having a great exciting season. I was sick and upset at the end of the game but in 2 minutes I got over it and realized I root for the best program in college basketball and with Cal it will remain the same. If you want mediocre go and sit out a few years and get back into the game with whatever team Gillespie coaches for in the future. None of us are in practice or know the kids personally, therefore, our opinions don't mean squat compared to what the coaches know firsthand.

Why call a TO, we got a good look and the guy who needed to shoot the rock shot it, we couldn't have asked for anything else other than the ball going in, therefore, a TO is a mot point.

:rockon:
outdoorsman43 Wrote:I know we've seen it before from Coach Cal, but how does he not call that last timeout when Knight crossed halfcourt?!

I don't know ODM. I'm with you. This is the 3rd SEC loss I lay on his shoulders for that very non-move. I'm setting her dumbfounded tonight, and pretty much speechless.
3wishes Wrote:UK loses 5 games this season by an average of 2 points. We were COACHED back into those games a great deal and Coach Cal is the best coach UK could've ever landed. He is a guy who is never stops coaching on the sidelines and isn't afraid to coach his star struck freshmen to death even if it hurts their feelings. He yells and coaches the entire game, rarley taking a breath.

Three of these SEC losses were exactly Cal's fault. All three games, they came across the 1/2 line and looked lost as what to do. Cal should have reset, and made sure they knew what to do. I like Cal, and yes he was the best choice we had, that would have come here, but he lost 3 of these SEC games by non coaching at the end. If you think they had a good look and a good plan, you watched different games than I did. I don't think Cal is a bad coach, but he is just a good average coach.
Because he knew calling a TO wouldnt help anything. We had a better chance at winning going straight for it then calling a time out and setting a play up.
If UK loses 2 or 3 conference games at home and continues to lose on the road like we are then we could possibly finish 4th in the east.
Trust me it could happen especially if we lose both games to fla tenn and vandy.
Wouldnt surprise me to see us as a 12 seed or in the NIT if we dont turn it around.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:Because he knew calling a TO wouldnt help anything. We had a better chance at winning going straight for it then calling a time out and setting a play up.
If UK loses 2 or 3 conference games at home and continues to lose on the road like we are then we could possibly finish 4th in the east.
Trust me it could happen especially if we lose both games to fla tenn and vandy.
Wouldnt surprise me to see us as a 12 seed or in the NIT if we dont turn it around.
Huh? They didn't have time to go for it, and then set up a play. You lost me there. If they don't get the rebound after going for it, like they usually don't, there wouldn't be another play. If the game is that close, you have to get it across the line and timeout to make sure everybody knows what to do and how to make the play. That being said, if UK can't win in the SEC, we are screwed in March.
NIT talk:please:

The NCAA know who we are this year and we will be a decently ranked NCAA Tournament team, we aren't going to lose out.
Jarons Wrote:Coach Cal is a great recruiter, but not much of a game coach.

Welcome to last year. I told you all that after UK lost the Elite 8 game to WVU.
TheRealVille Wrote:Huh? They didn't have time to go for it, and then set up a play. You lost me there. If they don't get the rebound after going for it, like they usually don't, there wouldn't be another play. If the game is that close, you have to get it across the line and timeout to make sure everybody knows what to do and how to make the play. That being said, if UK can't win in the SEC, we are screwed in March.

my reasoning for saying what i did was the fact that almost every time we call a timeout and set up a play we screw it up. I think cal did the right thing by letting them freely go down the court and throw one up, that seems to work a lot more times than not since the defense doesnt have a chance to set up either.
**** we've lost a few games this year who hasn't look around you open your eyes. We've lost what 4 conference games and you all are ready to call for this man's head. You think MSU is calling for Izzo's or K-State is going after Martin? We can't win every game guys it's just the way it works. Yea we've lost ones we should have won, but look at what we're working with and what we replaced this year. Coach Cal is a **** of a coach just watch him in the sideline he is up and down all the time. Quit question why he didn't do something he is apparently better coaches then we are since he is in the NCAA coaching Kentucky. We are going to be fine just keep holding on to hope and don't give up on Kentucky or Cal.
outdoorsman43 Wrote:I know we've seen it before from Coach Cal, but how does he not call that last timeout when Knight crossed halfcourt?!

:popcorn: Not from me. Ever watch the UMass game against UK in the Final four? Ever watch the finals game when Memphis inexplicably lost to Kansas? Not unbelievable to me at all!
HawksRule Wrote:**** we've lost a few games this year who hasn't look around you open your eyes. We've lost what 4 conference games and you all are ready to call for this man's head. You think MSU is calling for Izzo's or K-State is going after Martin? We can't win every game guys it's just the way it works. Yea we've lost ones we should have won, but look at what we're working with and what we replaced this year. Coach Cal is a **** of a coach just watch him in the sideline he is up and down all the time. Quit question why he didn't do something he is apparently better coaches then we are since he is in the NCAA coaching Kentucky. We are going to be fine just keep holding on to hope and don't give up on Kentucky or Cal.

I knew what we were getting when we hired him (look back at the comments made when UK hired him). He is NOT an X's and O's coach. Never has been. and a coach who runs up and down the sideline does NOT make an **** of a coach! It only makes a coach who runs and and down the sideline!
He played last year with basically Freshman and this year as well. 51-9 record over the two years. Not bad for a coach.
Benchwarmer Wrote:He played last year with basically Freshman and this year as well. 51-9 record over the two years. Not bad for a coach.

Nope, not bad at all. He is an excellent recruiter and he is showing the same traits that he has always shown. It's why you can't win with just talent, you have to be an in-game coach, and with Freshman more than any other type of team, don't leave them on the floor without a plan. With a young team, don't leave timeouts in the book! Don't expect Freshman to win with talent alone, coach them in the most critical of situations. Right?
Stardust Wrote:I knew what we were getting when we hired him (look back at the comments made when UK hired him). He is NOT an X's and O's coach. Never has been. and a coach who runs up and down the sideline does NOT make an **** of a coach! It only makes a coach who runs and and down the sideline!
I was waiting for you to jump in SD, I needed some help. I think my fellow fans were going for my head. LOL. Every point in your post is spot on. I'm not calling for his head yet, like the poster said, but I do have eyes, and can see that he isn't that great of a coach. I can't remember the saying, but some of our fellow fans remind me of the old saying about running off of the cliff or into the fire blindly following something. You probably remember the saying. What Cal does do well, is he is that he plays into UK's PR requirements very well, even if he isn't the best coach, and that will go a long ways with most UK fans and the University of KY people, until he keeps on losing in a weak conference. Until he quits trying to recruit all one and dones, UK will always win games, but inexperience will kill them every year. We need some maturity that can step up in tight situations like yesterday, and we don't have it. According to his lineup next year, we won't have it then either.
Stardust Wrote:Nope, not bad at all. He is an excellent recruiter and he is showing the same traits that he has always shown. It's why you can't win with just talent, you have to be an in-game coach, and with Freshman more than any other type of team, don't leave them on the floor without a plan. With a young team, don't leave timeouts in the book! Don't expect Freshman to win with talent alone, coach them in the most critical of situations. Right?
Absolutely. He should never get on that bus with timeouts in his book, they don't bring much on ebay, and he can use them to coach freshmen, like they should be coached. Everybody here must not watch the games very close, because I see freshmen coming across the line, and kind of having that deer in the headlights look. It's obvious they look lost. I've noticed it in every tight, last second game.
TheRealVille Wrote:I was waiting for you to jump in SD, I needed some help. I think my fellow fans were going for my head. LOL. Every point in your post is spot on. I'm not calling for his head yet, like the poster said, but I do have eyes, and can see that he isn't that great of a coach. I can't remember the saying, but some of our fellow fans remind me of the old saying about running off of the cliff or into the fire blindly following something. You probably remember the saying. What Cal does do well, is he is that he plays into UK's PR requirements very well, even if he isn't the best coach, and that will go a long ways with most UK fans and the University of KY people, until he keeps on losing in a weak conference. Until he quits trying to recruit all one and dones, UK will always win games, but inexperience will kill them every year. We need some maturity that can step up in tight situations like yesterday, and we don't have it. According to his lineup next year, we won't have it then either.
:Thumbs: Inexperience kills in the NCAA tournament's later rounds. Recruiting a one or two expected one-and-dones each year along with a few solid three or four year players is a better recipe for NCAA championship teams but a coach still has got to be able to develop talent as well as recognize talent that somebody has already developed. The jury is still out on how well Coach Cal can develop talent. It is obvious that he is not a great bench coach. But when it comes to recognizing and recruiting talented players, nobody does it better.
Hoot Gibson Wrote::Thumbs: Inexperience kills in the NCAA tournament's later rounds. Recruiting a one or two expected one-and-dones each year along with a few solid three or four year players is a better recipe for NCAA championship teams but a coach still has got to be able to develop talent as well as recognize talent that somebody has already developed. The jury is still out on how well Coach Cal can develop talent. It is obvious that he is not a great bench coach. But when it comes to recognizing and recruiting talented players, nobody does it better.
That's what I was saying yesterday Hoot. If we can't win in the SEC, we are doomed in March.
Hoot Gibson Wrote::Thumbs: Inexperience kills in the NCAA tournament's later rounds. Recruiting a one or two expected one-and-dones each year along with a few solid three or four year players is a better recipe for NCAA championship teams but a coach still has got to be able to develop talent as well as recognize talent that somebody has already developed. The jury is still out on how well Coach Cal can develop talent. It is obvious that he is not a great bench coach. But when it comes to recognizing and recruiting talented players, nobody does it better.

He can't develop talent?

Just look at the work he's done with DeAndre Liggins, Josh Harrellson, and Darius Miller. These three Billy Clyde players seemed to had been damaged from their only year under the drunk coach. Coach Cal has since revitalized them and made them what they are right now.

All three players are doing things we never thought they could do and that is because of John Calipari. You're kidding yourself if you think otherwise.
Stardust Wrote::popcorn: Not from me. Ever watch the UMass game against UK in the Final four? Ever watch the finals game when Memphis inexplicably lost to Kansas? Not unbelievable to me at all!

We were in a couple of these situations last year where Cal didn't call a timeout and came out with the win. This team is just different from last year's.

The only reason I started this thread is because that was just a situation where I would've called a timeout. Cal rarely ever does in those situations and that's just something we have to get used to. It worked last year, but hasn't worked yet this year.
outdoorsman43 Wrote:He can't develop talent?

Just look at the work he's done with DeAndre Liggins, Josh Harrellson, and Darius Miller. These three Billy Clyde players seemed to had been damaged from their only year under the drunk coach. Coach Cal has since revitalized them and made them what they are right now.

All three players are doing things we never thought they could do and that is because of John Calipari. You're kidding yourself if you think otherwise.
How do you know how much these players have improved because of Calipari's coaching? They are getting more playing time and they are a year older. In most cases, getting playing time on top of an additional year's practice results in improved statistics.

Liggins and Miller were always very athletic players who showed flashes of brilliance. Harrellson was never on the court long enough to know how good he might become if given the opportunity.

You are kidding yourself if you believe that Coach Cal's greatest asset is his ability to recruit players who are ready to play at a high level from day one.

I enjoy watching UK play more than I have since Pitino left the program and I was extremely relieved to see Bill Gillispie sent packing. But I am not going to delude myself into thinking that John Calipari is a HOF caliber coach. He needs superior talent to win and he has always managed to recruit that talent.
outdoorsman43 Wrote:We were in a couple of these situations last year where Cal didn't call a timeout and came out with the win. This team is just different from last year's.

The only reason I started this thread is because that was just a situation where I would've called a timeout. Cal rarely ever does in those situations and that's just something we have to get used to. It worked last year, but hasn't worked yet this year.

LOL, so still being lacking the ability to call a timeout when a timeout is needed can be justified because the team won in spite of their coach not knowing when to call one makes since to you? Hmmm, maybe you have proven my point for me. Call cannot coach, he rely's on the talent to bail him out! Thank you ODM, I've been looking for my argument, and you have given it to me:notworthy
Hoot Gibson Wrote:How do you know how much these players have improved because of Calipari's coaching? They are getting more playing time and they are a year older. In most cases, getting playing time on top of an additional year's practice results in improved statistics.

Liggins and Miller were always very athletic players who showed flashes of brilliance. Harrellson was never on the court long enough to know how good he might become if given the opportunity.

You are kidding yourself if you believe that Coach Cal's greatest asset is his ability to recruit players who are ready to play at a high level from day one.

I enjoy watching UK play more than I have since Pitino left the program and I was extremely relieved to see Bill Gillispie sent packing. But I am not going to delude myself into thinking that John Calipari is a HOF caliber coach. He needs superior talent to win and he has always managed to recruit that talent.

Those players are getting more playing, you are 100% correct. Because if they were not, the Cats would only have three players on the floor because we have NO ONE ELSE developed on the bench! But how much have they really developed? Serious? Harrelson plays great against teams with no inside athleticism. Miller still disappears and finds himself riding the bench at the ire of Calipari. And Liggins is contributing more, and he should because he gets more minutes. Liggins rode pine last year, he didn't develop. Your numbers will be better then your playing time increases, and it did not increase because he got better but because there is NO ONE ELSE TO PLAY!
Hoot Gibson Wrote:How do you know how much these players have improved because of Calipari's coaching? They are getting more playing time and they are a year older. In most cases, getting playing time on top of an additional year's practice results in improved statistics.

Did I say that was his greatest ability? His greatest ability is to recruit, no doubt. But to say he hasn't developed them at all is nieve.

Billy Donovan even said it yesterday. "The days that freshmen can't get it done are over." It's the truth and I'm tired of hearing about experience. Show me the best players and that's what Cal does. The best players win championships. If the freshmen just happen to be the best players, so be it. Coach Cal will win a championship with these types of players. It's just a matter of time. Winning a championship is hard people. If you're a great HOF coach, you're lucky to even win just ONE. Calipari was a missed three-pointer from winning one (I don't care if that season was taken away). That game wasn't about a timeout he didn't call either. I watched it. It was about a great shot that Mario Chalmers made.

Back to the freshmen argument: anymore, experienced players in college basketball are what Jay Bilas calls "player that aren't exactly cut for the NBA." Now THAT is the TRUTH.
Stardust Wrote:Those players are getting more playing, you are 100% correct. Because if they were not, the Cats would only have three players on the floor because we have NO ONE ELSE developed on the bench! But how much have they really developed? Serious? Harrelson plays great against teams with no inside athleticism. Miller still disappears and finds himself riding the bench at the ire of Calipari. And Liggins is contributing more, and he should because he gets more minutes. Liggins rode pine last year, he didn't develop. Your numbers will be better then your playing time increases, and it did not increase because he got better but because there is NO ONE ELSE TO PLAY!
I left a "not" or two out of my post that changed its meaning. I agree with what you said 100%. Somebody has to replace the "graduated" points, rebounds, and assists, and Coach Cal did not recruit enough freshman to keep Harrelson, Miller, and Liggins on the bench.
Pages: 1 2 3