Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Will there ever be a "7th guy" to step in for UK?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
UK has been looking for a 7th man to step in all year long. To answer the thread title; no I don't think it's going to happen.

Like I said in another thread, Coach Cal talks about his "six guys" and those guys have been the only players contributing any whatsoever all season long. Coach Cal has given each of the four players a chance and they haven't really responded.

Eloy Vargas - I believe Vargas is a lost cause. He seems like a good kid who desperately wants to please his coach. The problem is, he just doesn't have what it takes to play college basketball on the elite level. He has good size but is slow, very tenative and sometimes lazy. Vargas often shows in his sparing minutes his bad habits that I'm sure go back to high school (keep in mind that Eloy was somehow the 26th ranked player in the '08 class on rivals.com). I don't ever see Vargas being a contributor to this team other than giving Josh Harrellson a rest and taking his place when he's in foul trouble.

Jon Hood - Another player that I predict to never be a go-to role player on this team. It's already over halfway through the season and Jon Hood still hasn't made the improvements that we thought he would make. He still takes bad shots when he's been on the floor, doesn't play good defense and doesn't hustle. I thought he was overrated coming out of high school (40th in the '09 class on rivals.com) and he's proved that so far in his young UK career. Hood's role could be even less important than Vargas'.

Stacey Poole - Poole is the guy who I thought would find his role with this team and become an important part of the rotation. Unfortunately, that hasn't happened and it's untelling if it ever will. He has the best shot out of the four to become that "7th guy" in the UK's lineup, but will he ever do that? It's very improbable and I don't see it happening. I don't even remember the last time I've seen Poole on the floor.

Jarrod Polson - Polson plays better than any of these four guys. He was not heavily recruited out of high school. To my knowledge, he is still a walk-on with an academic scholarship unless he has since been given an athletic scholly. He hustles, he's pretty quick, and he doesn't make mistakes on the court. Even though Kentucky has him listed at 6'1 or 6'2 (that's not even close..he's more like 5'9 or 5'10), Polson is way undersized and that has been the reason he hasn't been given more of a chance in my opinion. He simply isn't big enough to defend SEC guards.

I know this is sort of a negative thread, but it's just how it is. I wish all four of these players could get a chance and contribute to this team but it looks that's not going to happen.
I remember seeing poole one game he came in hit a big 3 on a run we made to get back in a game.
Wildcatk23 Wrote:I remember seeing poole one game he came in hit a big 3 on a run we made to get back in a game.

Notre Dame game I believe it was. I thought that was his season-changing shot and he was ready to be put in the rotation, but I guess not.
We need it! Big time. But no, we will never find a reliable 7th man! And it's gonna kill us!
Poole is supposed to be able to jump out of the gym. I've always wanted to see him in the rotation maybe Cal will see we need that 7th guy and pick someone.
I'm sure if Coach Cal would put Stacey Poole into the game he could do good things and I'm sure he would be the 7th man. I have potential for Stacey and Jarrod Polson.
If Vargas is the 7th Man, it's because we have tanked the season
Stardust Wrote:If Vargas is the 7th Man, it's because we have tanked the season
Calipari needs to do some player development. If he wants to rely solely on recruiting to win games, then he needs to recruit a bench for next season. Nobody is going to convince me that there is not another decent potential role player waiting to be developed on UK's bench. If Bruce Pearl's son can come off the Tennessee bench and contribute, then surely Hood or Poole have the potential to do the same for UK.

I remember watching Sean Sutton play in an All Star game after his senior season. He was the slowest, least athletic player on the floor and he had no jump shop. If Sean Sutton could start at point guard for UK and Oklahoma State (which made it to the Sweet Sixteen), then Coach Calipari should be able to insert another player or two into the current rotation without destroying the 'Cat's chances of winning a game. If he can't, then he does not belong on any list of coaching greats. There is more to coaching than being a great recruiter. Basketball is not rocket surgery - if you tell players that they are not good enough to be on the floor, most will eventually believe it.
^ Hoot, you and I share very similar points. I've never been a fan of Cal's coaching abilities, and it goes back to the way that Pitino abused Cal in the UK/UMass series. Then when Memphis had a national championship in the bag, the game and championship was given away because a team from coach to players was leaderless down the stretch. I saw the same thing happen in the South Carolina game last year. I've said it many times, Cal is not an X's & O's guy. He has the best talent in the country, guy's that would go straight to the NBA without ever having to play a second of college basketball, thus all of this love he gets for sending guys to the "Show" is not warranted. Rose, Evans and Wall could have played one year for me and they still would be the very good NBA talents that they are. Player development? None!
^I agree, if they don't have overwhelming talent, then Cal can't "coach 'em up".
Vargas has potential, but I don't believe he will fulfill it.
But to answer the question: No one will step up and be the valuable 7th man UK desperately needs.
As Kentucky fans we expect them to run over everybody and win every ball game by 20+ that will never happen. I personally am a fan of Cal he wins ball games and he is better then the drunk coaching before him. While we are worrying about a 7th man we should take a look around at the other teams. Everyone is losing this year K-State potential final four team coming into the season now unranked. Michigan State also a potential final four team unranked now. This college basketball season is wide open top 25 teams losing everyday and little schools are domanating the rankings this year. When you really put into in perspective it's not just us with the problems.
HawksRule Wrote:As Kentucky fans we expect them to run over everybody and win every ball game by 20+ that will never happen. I personally am a fan of Cal he wins ball games and he is better then the drunk coaching before him. While we are worrying about a 7th man we should take a look around at the other teams. Everyone is losing this year K-State potential final four team coming into the season now unranked. Michigan State also a potential final four team unranked now. This college basketball season is wide open top 25 teams losing everyday and little schools are domanating the rankings this year. When you really put into in perspective it's not just us with the problems.

True, but as an X's and O's guy, the drunk guy before his is the ONLY UK coach he is better than! Recruiter - 2nd to none! In game, he disappears as badly as his players do!
I know that we are veering off topic but it is a good one to talk about.

One thing that burns me up about Coach Cal is that he leaves timeouts sitting there. Against UGA, I saw that with about 7 minutes to go he had 4 timeouts. I think he had at least 3 with 1:40 to go. USE YOUR TIMEOUTS! You have a young team, use those timeouts to coach them up. Use them to help stop the crazy run that UGA was getting on. If nothing else, give your short rotation a breather.

That is all, my venting is complete Big Grin
outdoorsman43 Wrote:UK has been looking for a 7th man to step in all year long. To answer the thread title; no I don't think it's going to happen.

Like I said in another thread, Coach Cal talks about his "six guys" and those guys have been the only players contributing any whatsoever all season long. Coach Cal has given each of the four players a chance and they haven't really responded.

Eloy Vargas - I believe Vargas is a lost cause. He seems like a good kid who desperately wants to please his coach. The problem is, he just doesn't have what it takes to play college basketball on the elite level. He has good size but is slow, very tenative and sometimes lazy. Vargas often shows in his sparing minutes his bad habits that I'm sure go back to high school (keep in mind that Eloy was somehow the 26th ranked player in the '08 class on rivals.com). I don't ever see Vargas being a contributor to this team other than giving Josh Harrellson a rest and taking his place when he's in foul trouble.

Jon Hood - Another player that I predict to never be a go-to role player on this team. It's already over halfway through the season and Jon Hood still hasn't made the improvements that we thought he would make. He still takes bad shots when he's been on the floor, doesn't play good defense and doesn't hustle. I thought he was overrated coming out of high school (40th in the '09 class on rivals.com) and he's proved that so far in his young UK career. Hood's role could be even less important than Vargas'.

Stacey Poole - Poole is the guy who I thought would find his role with this team and become an important part of the rotation. Unfortunately, that hasn't happened and it's untelling if it ever will. He has the best shot out of the four to become that "7th guy" in the UK's lineup, but will he ever do that? It's very improbable and I don't see it happening. I don't even remember the last time I've seen Poole on the floor.

Jarrod Polson - Polson plays better than any of these four guys. He was not heavily recruited out of high school. To my knowledge, he is still a walk-on with an academic scholarship unless he has since been given an athletic scholly. He hustles, he's pretty quick, and he doesn't make mistakes on the court. Even though Kentucky has him listed at 6'1 or 6'2 (that's not even close..he's more like 5'9 or 5'10), Polson is way undersized and that has been the reason he hasn't been given more of a chance in my opinion. He simply isn't big enough to defend SEC guards.

I know this is sort of a negative thread, but it's just how it is. I wish all four of these players could get a chance and contribute to this team but it looks that's not going to happen.

To answer your question simply, no.
The rest of the cats suck, its that simple.
I know some will try to talk a few up but the four you mentioned are horrible.
I'm not sure polson or hood would start anywhere.
Vargas just may be the worst Kentucky basketball player ive ever seen on the court, well maybe except for bobby perry or sharay thomas, but hes right there with them.
I think your best shot would be poole but if he was decent, cal would be playing him more. Hood gets more playing time than he does.
Im looking forward to next year.
The short and correct answer is no. Not enough talent on that bench to contribute. I'm not sure if you could combine two of the benches players skills and get one adequate player.
Aslan Wrote:^I agree, if they don't have overwhelming talent, then Cal can't "coach 'em up".
Vargas has potential, but I don't believe he will fulfill it.
But to answer the question: No one will step up and be the valuable 7th man UK desperately needs.

Your right, The Work he has done with Harrellson and Liggens was talent they had setting in a bag around the house.
Wildcatk23 Wrote:Your right, The Work he has done with Harrellson and Liggens was talent they had setting in a bag around the house.

Thank you Smile.
Liggins has talent, and he plays harder for Cal than he did BillyG, he always wanted to play for Cal.
He's done a great job with Harrellson, I'll give him that.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:To answer your question simply, no.
The rest of the cats suck, its that simple.
I know some will try to talk a few up but the four you mentioned are horrible.
I'm not sure polson or hood would start anywhere.
Vargas just may be the worst Kentucky basketball player ive ever seen on the court, well maybe except for bobby perry or sharay thomas, but hes right there with them.
I think your best shot would be poole but if he was decent, cal would be playing him more. Hood gets more playing time than he does.
Im looking forward to next year.

You must've closed your eyes like most wanted to when Mark Coury or Jared Carter took the floor. I would rather had our waterboy suit up then them.
HawksRule Wrote:You must've closed your eyes like most wanted to when Mark Coury or Jared Carter took the floor. I would rather had our waterboy suit up then them.

Vargas actually plays valuable minutes. Carter could have done just as poorly as Vargas!
Stardust Wrote:Vargas actually plays valuable minutes. Carter could have done just as poorly as Vargas!

I'd take Vargas over Carter any day, but that's just my opinion.
^ You can have them both, put them together, and still not have a Perry Stevenson!
Shoot you can't get a Michael Porter if you put the two together
HawksRule Wrote:You must've closed your eyes like most wanted to when Mark Coury or Jared Carter took the floor. I would rather had our waterboy suit up then them.

lol no i didnt close my eyes, they just sucked so bad i forgot about them:biggrin:
Stardust Wrote:^ You can have them both, put them together, and still not have a Perry Stevenson!

I liked perry stevenson he didnt have much talent but he would hussle like no other.
As for this 7th man, I think by the end of the year Vargas wont suck too bad.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:lol no i didnt close my eyes, they just sucked so bad i forgot about them:biggrin:

:thatsfunn That's a good enough excuse for me to understand.
It will and has to be Poole. The 1 and 2 spots are to deep for Polson to make a difference. I wouldn't really call Eloy a 7th man, just a body while TJ and/or Josh are resting.

So, I think it's Poole, and that it's about to start happening with him in the rotation.
PaintsvilleTigerfan Wrote:I liked perry stevenson he didnt have much talent but he would hussle like no other.
As for this 7th man, I think by the end of the year Vargas wont suck too bad.

But he will still suck:eyeroll:
My question is why Cal isn't playing Poole at all?
I've not even seen him in a game..
Is he seriously that bad? Maybe this is the guy that should play in games or sub in and out for the likes of Liggins, Knight, and Lamb.
Only if Coach Cal had us on speed dial.
All I know is that if someone doesn't step up in practice, then they're going to be without scholarships or transferring next season.

Just an assumption, because they can be replaced.
Pages: 1 2