Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: (16) Kentucky 66 - Georgia 60
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I've watched better girls basketball games in the High School level than this game. Just terrible from both sides!
I almost had this game predicted to a t on another thread. I had Kentucky winning late in the half by 8.
UK was poised to make it a blow out but they got lazy and lost their aggressiveness. They allowed Georgia to scrap and make it a game in the second half.

Should be a teaching momemnt for UK. Never let up. Once you got your opponent on the ground, stomp their throat.
looked good 1st half and like last years team, didnt have keep them in check
Looked good first half and terrible in the second. No bench continues to hurt them, even more so with continued dumb fouls by Harrelson and Jones.
^^

Yeah, depth kills us. I really wish they could get a 7th man to step and be in the roation.
MVP2 Wrote:^^

Yeah, depth kills us. I really wish they could get a 7th man to step and be in the roation.

I think we should try Hood or Poole in the rotation someway.
The Cats are what they are. Pretty nice starting five, but no outstanding big men and absolutely no bench at all. I don't blame Calipari for not playing Poole, Hood, etc. They aren't ready and may never be. However it is his fault the number of players are so low and I bet he won't let it happen in the future.
Kentucky looked like an Elite Eight team in the first half, and an NIT team in the second.
foxtrot1 Wrote:The Cats are what they are. Pretty nice starting five, but no outstanding big men and absolutely no bench at all. I don't blame Calipari for not playing Poole, Hood, etc. They aren't ready and may never be. However it is his fault the number of players are so low and I bet he won't let it happen in the future.

We invested too much into Kanter getting eligible. That could be our biggest problem he recruited what he thought he would have playing Kanter starting with Harrellson and Vargas coming off the bench. The probably would have been a good rotation, but with the NCAA being idiots we didn't get that.
Good to see the CATS get the win. Really good job limiting Leslie and the big man.
foxtrot1 Wrote:The Cats are what they are. Pretty nice starting five, but no outstanding big men and absolutely no bench at all. I don't blame Calipari for not playing Poole, Hood, etc. They aren't ready and may never be. However it is his fault the number of players are so low and I bet he won't let it happen in the future.

i still dont know how Hood made the team,hes ok player but not what KY needs
cuppett777 Wrote:i still dont know how Hood made the team,hes ok player but not what KY needs
Because he was a top 50 recruit, Mr. Basketball in this state and it was a good PR move for Cal to get him on UK's squad. Hood just needs to get some confidence when he is in the game. He has a good shot and has gotten a little stronger. He just needs to settle down and the game will come to him. That said, when he does get in he can't let his guy score easy buckets because playing bad D will def not get you playing time.
Calipari might as well pick a seventh man and start playing him because the 'Cats will not make a deep tournament run with a six-man rotation. Either they were dog tired in the second half or they were just plain dogging it. That was one of the most uninspired halves of basketball that I have seen a UK team play. They looked great in the first half but elite teams play full games.
^ I agree. I thought that Hood had played well enough to continue to get minutes. It looks like they have already decided to use Miller at the 4 when in dire need. Hood would allow them to have an outside guy with a little size
Didn't get to watch the game. So I'm going of what you all are saying.
First half we looked really good, but I only wish I could say the same for the second half. Knight & Miller where non-existent in the second half and thankfully we had Lamb who continued to come up with a lot of made jump shots. Jones got into early foul trouble and could never really get into a rhythm. Harrellson hasn't been found since Kanter was ruled that he couldn't practice with the team anymore.

This team just doesn't have that killer instinct yet. Hopefully they can put a complete game together before tourney time, if not, then we won't last very long in the field of 68.
Amun-Ra Wrote:Because he was a top 50 recruit, Mr. Basketball in this state and it was a good PR move for Cal to get him on UK's squad. Hood just needs to get some confidence when he is in the game. He has a good shot and has gotten a little stronger. He just needs to settle down and the game will come to him. That said, when he does get in he can't let his guy score easy buckets because playing bad D will def not get you playing time.

Hood was actually Gillispie's recruit. Cal made a good PR move to keep on the team though.

If any of you watch Coach Cal talk to the media, you can pretty much tell that Cal isn't very enthusiastic about a 7th man stepping in and playing a role. He talks about "six guys" all the time. He's said several times that he "likes his guys" but he "only wishes he had more guys." If I'm Jon Hood, Stacey Poole, Eloy Vargas, or Jarrod Polson, I feel like I mean nothing to the team if I hear my coach say that publicly. Coach Cal is very blunt and says what he feels. I don't know if I would say this if I were him though (even though it is the sad truth).
My cats have disappointed me this year as well as the NCAA with their stupid ruling that enes in permanently ineligible.
This Kentucky team just doesn't have a clue how to play with a huge lead, they always let it spill away.

A win is a win tho.
outdoorsman43 Wrote:Hood was actually Gillispie's recruit. Cal made a good PR move to keep on the team though.
He came in as a freshmen last year which made him Cal's recruit. Gilliespie may have offered the scholly first but Cal went through with it and brought Hood on in.
UK has got to learn to finish games! We did everything we could to help UGA steal the win, but UGA couldn't capitalize.
Amun-Ra Wrote:He came in as a freshmen last year which made him Cal's recruit. Gilliespie may have offered the scholly first but Cal went through with it and brought Hood on in.

Great point. There were other commits that Cal did not honor, correct?
Stardust Wrote:Great point. There were other commits that Cal did not honor, correct?

Yeah, I think. I know once Cal got here that Kevin Galloway was gone, right?
There were more. Or at least commitments anyhow. GRC's Zollo was committed to UK and Cal would not honor it as well.
Aslan Wrote:UK has got to learn to finish games! We did everything we could to help UGA steal the win, but UGA couldn't capitalize.
Great sig pic, bro..
Darius Miller finished with another double digit game.
W is a W. BUT, to close a score IMO.