Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: The NCAA is unbelievable
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
As you know, Josh Selby is now playing after serving his nine-game suspension. Some of you may already know this but Selby wasn't required to pay the $6,000 he accepted. Instead, Kansas University will pay that out of their scholarship fund.

So Selby gets to keep his money and play college basketball?!?!

This may be old news but I just learned this and am dumbfounded.
^ it's old news. This is what set off Jay Bilas at the beginning of the season. My guess is ODM, there has not been a single student every pay to back a fund like this. It may be worth some google time, but knowing the background of most students, I'd say that there is no money to pay back, thus the school steps in every time.

I know this is not a similar comparison, but like professional athletes, do you really think the athletes or coaches pay their fines? It may come from their checkbook, but it's the team that foots the bill. This happened with Chad during his "fine a week" gig, and people thought Mike Brown is cheap!
When I first found out about this I felt the same way.
It's old news but it's still just as disgraceful
I dont understand the NCAA at all.
its remarkable that there are still fans left watching.
Something in the procedures of how they handle high school kids has to change.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:I dont understand the NCAA at all.
its remarkable that there are still fans left watching.
Something in the procedures of how they handle high school kids has to change.

All of the schools can pull out of the NCAA if they want. The NCAA is a voluntary membership.
Stardust Wrote:All of the schools can pull out of the NCAA if they want. The NCAA is a voluntary membership.

They can all pull out and do what!?!

This is like saying we can all stop buying gas and really put the screws to the middle eastern oil countries if we want. Purchasing gas is a voluntary thing we do. :ChairHit:
Something big needs to happen so that the NCAA will take a step back and look at themselves...it's getting pathetic.
Stardust Wrote:All of the schools can pull out of the NCAA if they want. The NCAA is a voluntary membership.

Too much $$

And this is a disgrace. All I want is some consistency. But you look at the issues this past year: Newton, Ohio State football, Selby, etc. and then look at the Kanter situation. The Kanter situation was treated completely different than these others. The NCAA just hates Calipari and UK

Yes ive heard that remark time and time again, but be rational, what school would ever do that?
Its where every school is and no one is going to leave it.
MSU Eagle Wrote:Too much $$

And this is a disgrace. All I want is some consistency. But you look at the issues this past year: Newton, Ohio State football, Selby, etc. and then look at the Kanter situation. The Kanter situation was treated completely different than these others. The NCAA just hates Calipari and UK

I dont know that the NCAA hates calipari and uk, after all there the biggest money maker in college basketball, however the kanter case is one i believe the ncaa was using to make an example of. They should have treated it differently, as other cases this year were worse IMO.
goscots56 Wrote:They can all pull out and do what!?!

This is like saying we can all stop buying gas and really put the screws to the middle eastern oil countries if we want. Purchasing gas is a voluntary thing we do. :ChairHit:

vundy33 Wrote:Something big needs to happen so that the NCAA will take a step back and look at themselves...it's getting pathetic.

MSU Eagle Wrote:Too much $$

RunItUpTheGut Wrote:Yes ive heard that remark time and time again, but be rational, what school would ever do that?
Its where every school is and no one is going to leave it.

I was being facetious. But everyone gives the NCAA so much credit like they run college sports. Sorry guy's, the NCAA does not run college sports. College's run college sports. The NCAA is a governing body, and what do they govern, college sports guidelines that are CREATED and APPROVED by colleges! Who elects the NCAA Board Members??? The Presidents Council - which is made up by - College Presidents. Who can dictate change in the NCAA, the colleges! When the NCAA announces new rules and guidelines, who votes on those? The colleges - the colleges hold 100% of the approval/denial of rules. The NCAA interprets the rules that all of the colleges that we are fans of, and is that governing body. When the NCAA interprets those rule and dictates rulings or sanctions, guess who the review boards are that approve, deny or alter a decision - The Colleges!

We all need to stop giving the NCAA more power than the really have. A police officer oversee's and enforces laws - but police officers have ZERO power of creating the laws, of having final judgement of the laws. That is overseen by those with the power to write the laws. The NCAA is the policeman, the colleges are the one's who vote on and put in place what the NCAA enforces, and the colleges have the right to overturn any ruling made by the NCAA just as the judge has the right to overturn a DUI given by your local patrolman,
Well they're governing badly
The NCAA is just concerned about the big paychecks.
Here's my one and only comment on this situation, the NCAA is inconsistent.
Well, UK, dUKe, Ohio Stat, Louisville, and any other NCAA school can FIX anything the NCAA does, so let's put the pressure on the schools. For anyone to say that the NCAA is JUST ABOUT THE MONEY is very, very very naive. Where does the NCAA's money go to? Not the NCAA bank account - It goes to the University of Kentucky - and any other NCAA school!
Statmaster Wrote:The NCAA is just concerned about the big paychecks.

NCAA get's the share that is given to them from the schools - the NCAA does NOT control the money!
BlackcatAlum Wrote:Here's my one and only comment on this situation, the NCAA is inconsistent.

Yes they are.
Side not Dike Vitale said that if Kanter was at any other school he would be playing.
Stardust Wrote:Well, UK, dUKe, Ohio Stat, Louisville, and any other NCAA school can FIX anything the NCAA does, so let's put the pressure on the schools. For anyone to say that the NCAA is JUST ABOUT THE MONEY is very, very very naive. Where does the NCAA's money go to? Not the NCAA bank account - It goes to the University of Kentucky - and any other NCAA school!

I'm 100% sure if Kentucky could do anything to get Kanter eligible they would be doing it.

The rules are just being enforced inconsistently.
MSU Eagle Wrote:I'm 100% sure if Kentucky could do anything to get Kanter eligible they would be doing it.

The rules are just being enforced inconsistently.

Like I said, if the schools do not think the NCAA is doing the job properly, then they can all stand united. UK is not the only school that had players ruled permanently ineligible in basketball this season, they can side up with Indiana and the rest of the schools and take it to the policy makers themselves to change the rules if they want.
With Jay Bilas and **** Vitale taking shots at the NCAA it should set off some national out-rage.
^ Why? It's not the first time I have heard them rant about a topic! As a matter of note, what have you heard nationally since Kanter was ruled ineligible? It's been crickets!