Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Kentucky 78 - Auburn 54
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Final

Jones (UK) 35 pts. 8 rbs.
Jones didn't look to ill to me. The kid was flat out amazing! I wonder if this will happen more often. Meaning Lamb starting in his place and Jones coming off the bench to provide a spark. I could see it being a smart idea!
Some games TJ takes a lot of bad shots or has some turnovers and I question how good he is. Games like these he looks like a future NBA All Star. I guess Cal not starting him was the motivation he needed. Broke the freshman scoring record. How much you wanna bet it gets broken again this year haha. Anyway good win, Auburn is BAD.
I didn't watch a lot of this game. After the UK start, there was not much drama left
Auburn was absolutely terrible! This game should have been much worse, but we didn't rebound the ball all that well, but you could tell that the effort wasn't really there after we blew this one open in the first 5 minutes of the game.

Nice effort from Jones though.
What scared me in this game is not Jones's production, but his shot selection. I understand taking a shot if you are hot, but against quality teams, when he does that it usually hurts the team.
Jones will play the 3 in the NBA, so I'm sure Cal encourages him to take more jump shots so that defenders don't play off him and take away the drive. If he's hitting his jump shots then he's very, very dangerous player to guard.

But Cal has said before that if his shot isn't there, then to find another way to help the team win.
BlackcatAlum Wrote:Jones will play the 3 in the NBA, so I'm sure Cal encourages him to take more jump shots so that defenders don't play off him and take away the drive. If he's hitting his jump shots then he's very, very dangerous player to guard.

But Cal has said before that if his shot isn't there, then to find another way to help the team win.

I agree, as long as he knows when enough is enough. If he starts 0-2 or 0-3, it is time to quit, lol.

If he starts hitting them, keep shooting them.
BlackcatAlum Wrote:Jones will play the 3 in the NBA, so I'm sure Cal encourages him to take more jump shots so that defenders don't play off him and take away the drive. If he's hitting his jump shots then he's very, very dangerous player to guard.

Same thing him did with a very similar player. I think everyone remembers him, Patrick Patterson. Patterson never got off the block til Cal stepped in and then all of a sudden Patrick had a shot that was respected.

This was my line of thinking too but Cal said in his post game interview that UK wasn't going to beat good teams with TJ shooting 3's.
I agree with you LWC, TJ' shot selection at times is awful. Some games he takes 5+ bad shots. I think he wants to win, but in doing do he also wants to get his own stats and that hurts the team. He shown the ability to hit the 3 ball though and I'm OK with him taking it if he's open.
I didnt get to watch, but I seen UK up 13-2...
I just turned off the TV and started playing Xbox haha..
I wished I coulda see Jones beat the freshman scoring record tho!

I'm with Aslan on that, it will get broke again this year, and next year too.

BCA, I don't agree with your assumption of Jones playing the three. As a matter of fact, I completely disagree. Three's are typically the best defender on the floor and excellent ball handlers. Jones is a four, because he does not fit either of those two skills. We won't know until next September, but I don't see Jones playing anything other than the four in the NBA. And at 6-8, he may struggle at that. He's footwork is not good enough to guard a Melo, he's too weak to guard a Lebron, and he could never drive on a Ron Artest.
Ballers Wrote:I didnt get to watch, but I seen UK up 13-2...
I just turned off the TV and started playing Xbox haha..
I wished I coulda see Jones beat the freshman scoring record tho!

I'm with Aslan on that, it will get broke again this year, and next year too.

Smart move:Thumbs:
Stardust Wrote:BCA, I don't agree with your assumption of Jones playing the three. As a matter of fact, I completely disagree. Three's are typically the best defender on the floor and excellent ball handlers. Jones is a four, because he does not fit either of those two skills. We won't know until next September, but I don't see Jones playing anything other than the four in the NBA. And at 6-8, he may struggle at that. He's footwork is not good enough to guard a Melo, he's too weak to guard a Lebron, and he could never drive on a Ron Artest.

Jones is one of the best ballhandlers on the team... Where you been SD?
One thing in regards to Jones's NBA future, he is almost unguardable in college, when he chooses to play hard. He can score low, and he can step out, AND he can drive.

However, I know that he wont stay, but he genuinely needs one more season, to bulk up a little, and improve his footwork.
LWC Wrote:One thing in regards to Jones's NBA future, he is almost unguardable in college, when he chooses to play hard. He can score low, and he can step out, AND he can drive.

However, I know that he wont stay, but he genuinely needs one more season, to bulk up a little, and improve his footwork.

I agree. My only problem with the Jones plays is that he forces way to many bad shots and don't let the game come to him. I also think he's more concerned about his own stats than the teams success. But your right he's a great player and a definite lottery pick and there's no way he's staying for another year. Especially considering the players UK has coming in, if he did decide to stay then one of them would decommitt. They wouldn't be enough minutes to go around.
LClion4life Wrote:Jones is one of the best ballhandlers on the team... Where you been SD?

Serious? He is ONE handed. H can only drive with his left hand. Have you ever seen anyone in the NBA who can only go one way?

Don't get me wrong, I love this kid, but he does not have the skills to be a three. As for Cal wanting him to shoot threes, did anyone not listen to Cal last night after the game say "we need to remind Terrence he's not a guard". He wants Jones in the paint!
Aslan Wrote:I agree. My only problem with the Jones plays is that he forces way to many bad shots and don't let the game come to him. I also think he's more concerned about his own stats than the teams success. But your right he's a great player and a definite lottery pick and there's no way he's staying for another year. Especially considering the players UK has coming in, if he did decide to stay then one of them would decommitt. They wouldn't be enough minutes to go around.

You are pretty astute for a Lakers fan, I just may have to start respecting your basketball acumen after all.

Nah, you are still a Lakers fan and I can't do that! :biggrin:

JK :Thumbs:
Stardust Wrote:Serious? He is ONE handed. H can only drive with his left hand. Have you ever seen anyone in the NBA who can only go one way?

Don't get me wrong, I love this kid, but he does not have the skills to be a three. As for Cal wanting him to shoot threes, did anyone not listen to Cal last night after the game say "we need to remind Terrence he's not a guard". He wants Jones in the paint!

He has the ability and body to be a 3, but I agree his skill level right now is not that of a NBA 3. IMO he'll get there with time though. He can't play the 4 in the NBA either. His post defense is suspect, he too weak, needs to add about 20 lbs, and most 4's are taller than him too.
Stardust Wrote:You are pretty astute for a Lakers fan, I just may have to start respecting your basketball acumen after all.

Nah, you are still a Lakers fan and I can't do that! :biggrin:

JK :Thumbs:

Haha. Dust, us Laker fans don't even know what astute means Big Grin
I might have to jump on the Heat bandwagon to expand my dictionary :igiveup:
^ lol, :lmao:
I don't think Jones is a 4 man either. He struggles greatly with his back to the basket IMO. I think he is just a hybrid of every position! He is a very unique player with a body just as unique.
How did this Auburn team beat Florida State?