Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Georgia 77 - (11) Kentucky 70
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Georgia outshot the Cats considerably. Then the rush over the last 2:00 to fire up three pointers made no sense. Very poor clock management!

Cats: FG 38%, 3 pt 32%, FT 62%

Dogs: FG 45%, 3 pt 33%, FT 88%
^That is what you get with a young team.
too bad we played 5 on 8 the whole game.
(REFS)
Another tough loss today for the Big Blue Nation. Good resume win for UGA.
Well, UK is not going to roll through the SEC like they did last year. I hate being 0-1 in the standings, good thing Tenn lost today too. Lack of depth killed UK today. Officials were awful but you have to expect that playing on the road.
Being a UK fan today just flat out sucks. Sad
Aslan Wrote:Well, UK is not going to roll through the SEC like they did last year. I hate being 0-1 in the standings, good thing Tenn lost today too. Lack of depth killed UK today. Officials were awful but you have to expect that playing on the road.

We are in agreement. What I think this did was gave the young Cats a real tase of what the SEC will be. They will be hunted every game, and now that they will play 1/2 of the rest of the season away, this team will have to mature quickly.
Aslan Wrote:Well, UK is not going to roll through the SEC like they did last year. I hate being 0-1 in the standings, good thing Tenn lost today too. Lack of depth killed UK today. Officials were awful but you have to expect that playing on the road.

That could kill them the rest of the season.
MVP2 Wrote:That could kill us the reason of the season.

It's interior depth that is killing us. Vargas got what, 2:00??? The Cats had to keep Small Forwards on the court, and Georgia was just too big for that.
MVP2 Wrote:That could kill them the reason of the season.
Definitely.
Stardust Wrote:It's interior depth that is killing us. Vargas got what, 2:00??? The Cats had to keep Small Forwards on the court, and Georgia was just too big for that.

Yep. We had TJ or Miller playing the 4 way to often against this big UGA team. IMO Cal needs to press, trap, make it a full court game with this smaller team. Playing half court man to man when there mismatches on the post is killing us, plus we struggled to rebound at times today.
This was a bad weekend for UK sports.
Aslan Wrote:Definitely.

Yep. We had TJ or Miller playing the 4 way to often against this big UGA team. IMO Cal needs to press, trap, make it a full court game with this smaller team. Playing half court man to man when there mismatches on the post is killing us, plus we struggled to rebound at times today.

Great call Aslan! Cal teams rarely ever press, and when you are outsized, you have too. We did not take advantage of our guards length today. UGA's guards are not that good of passers, so force them into a game they are not comfortable with.
We just played out of sync the entire game. Brandon Knight was nonexistent the entire game; Darius Miller become aggressive but couldn't make any shots; Jones couldn't get anything going because anytime he got within a foot of Thompkins he was called for a foul; Liggins played poorly; Harrellson & Lamb were our only bright spots today as neither played bad games. Free throw shooting also really bit us in the behind today as well, but the refs didn't help our cause with some bogus calls on defense and some non-calls on offense. I'm not saying that's what cost us the game as we deserved to lose, but even playing as badly as we did we probably still could have pulled this off if we had hit our free throws and got a few calls in our favor.

UGA is probably the only team in the SEC that will give us problems in the post, but I expect to see a totally different team Tuesday against Auburn.
BlackcatAlum Wrote:We just played out of sync the entire game. Brandon Knight was nonexistent the entire game; Darius Miller become aggressive but couldn't make any shots; Jones couldn't get anything going because anytime he got within a foot of Thompkins he was called for a foul; Liggins played poorly; Harrellson & Lamb were our only bright spots today as neither played bad games. Free throw shooting also really bit us in the behind today as well, but the refs didn't help our cause with some bogus calls on defense and some non-calls on offense. I'm not saying that's what cost us the game as we deserved to lose, but even playing as badly as we did we probably still could have pulled this off if we had hit our free throws and got a few calls in our favor.

UGA is probably the only team in the SEC that will give us problems in the post, but I expect to see a totally different team Tuesday against Auburn.

BCA, did you DVR the game? Can you look at the two fouls that sat Jones in the first half? His second foul drew the ire of Cal for making such a lazy bogus reach after getting beat on a drive. I also think that Cal has really been dressing down Jones quite a bit, just to try to get the young man to toughen up. But today, Jones fouls in the first half were from uninspired play, not refs as I've seen otherwise thought of.

I think you summed it up well. It was poor shooting that was the real downfall for the Cats, but people have to take their hat off toe Georgia as well. Georgia shot extremely well today. We knew going in that Georgia was going to be a real test on the interior, and UK's lack of depth inside really hurt and will be our Achilles throughout SEC play.

Miller tried to step up at times, but he just could not get anything to fall. Lamb is quickly becoming my favorite player, because he gives the same effort every single outing.

Knight is not giving the Cats the kind of assists that this team needs.

Finally, a difference in this game than what we have seen of late is the ability to find Harrelson underneath wide open. Georgia did a great job on the interior.
geauxtigers75 Wrote:Being a UK fan today just flat out sucks. Sad

lol....I feel your pain. I had one of those weeks last week. WVU lost the bowl game and lost to St. Johns and Marquette. So, I can empathize with you.
Am I the only person that thinks we could benefit by putting Vargas and Harrellson on the floor at the same time.
Cal hasn't really done anything with them both on the court and I think it could help.
Vargas is soft....
I know.
But TJ needs to be at the 3 spot IMO
I got to watch the last ten minutes and man oh man if the whole game was like that I'm glad I didn't watch. But the two things I noticed wad UK being out of sink and the reds where just plain horrible. Did anyone else see when lamb went and got hit pretty hard and nothing.
zaga_fan Wrote:Am I the only person that thinks we could benefit by putting Vargas and Harrellson on the floor at the same time.
Cal hasn't really done anything with them both on the court and I think it could help.
Vargas is soft....
I know.
But TJ needs to be at the 3 spot IMO

Yes you are. The only time Vargas should be on the floor is when Harrelson and Jones foul out! As for Jones being a 3, not IMO. He is a true force inside, who already is wasting shots by firing up three pointers. He is good for a big man with the ball, but as a three, he would not be able to drive against any quality 6-6 SF. His ball skills are not good enough for that.
^LOL
just checking
IMO, I believe Georgia will be among the top 3 teams in the conference at seasons end. I believe this team will win 20 games and head into the NCAA tournament. As far as the East goes, UK, Florida, Georgia, Vandy, and Tennessee will beat up on each other, as I honestly dont think the difference in talent seperates the teams by that much. Georgia is a tough club, and I really think theyll win at least 10 conference games. UK will go around 11-5 in conference. Georgia 10-6, Florida will win 9 or 10. Tennessee is in trouble. I see the Vols going 8-8. Vandy is the wild card here. They may end up with the best record in the SEC at seasons end..
this game dissapointed me
I blew this prediction, but on the bright side we should thump auburn lol.
I know there are a lot of Darius Miller fans and liggins fans out there but seriously, why isnt Lamb starting over either one of these guys?
Miller comes in every game and throws up leaning floaters 8 feet from the basket and misses them. Then he does something stupid. Liggins defense is IMO the only reason hes starting.
Lamb comes in and usually gives us 15 or better ff the bench while these other guys arent doing anything near that every night.
TidesHoss32 Wrote:IMO, I believe Georgia will be among the top 3 teams in the conference at seasons end. I believe this team will win 20 games and head into the NCAA tournament. As far as the East goes, UK, Florida, Georgia, Vandy, and Tennessee will beat up on each other, as I honestly dont think the difference in talent seperates the teams by that much. Georgia is a tough club, and I really think theyll win at least 10 conference games. UK will go around 11-5 in conference. Georgia 10-6, Florida will win 9 or 10. Tennessee is in trouble. I see the Vols going 8-8. Vandy is the wild card here. They may end up with the best record in the SEC at seasons end..

I agree with this
Does anyone remember Georgia being one of my preseason final 4 picks? Big Grin
The refs were absolutely awful! But that was no excuse! We just flat out couldn't do anything right. We couldn't have hit water if we fell out of a boat! That's how bad we shot the ball.
UK does not like to play zone, but I believe we should have today more often.
Mountain Wrote:UK does not like to play zone, but I believe we should have today more often.

When I seen that 3-2 defense. My mouth dropped. I never thought I'd see Cal call a zone.
MisterPerfect Wrote:When I seen that 3-2 defense. My mouth dropped. I never thought I'd see Cal call a zone.

He's played it a few times this year. JH is usually at the top of it.
Aslan Wrote:He's played it a few times this year. JH is usually at the top of it.

I guess I just never really realized it.
On to the next game and hopefully some better officials.
Pages: 1 2