Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Enes Kanter ruled permanently ineligible
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
The NCAA upheld their orginal ruling on Enes Kanter today.

This should come as no surprise and now we can all move on.
Sad.....But now the squad we have will have to move on and some of the bench players will have to step and try to make it a least an 8 man rotation.
This sucks. But it is better than letting him play and then ultimately having our wins taken away from us. I wish only the best for Enes and I hope he has a wonderful career in the NBA.
Wished he could have played but life goes on.
This is bs. I guarantee if he was going to Duke he wouldn't had a problem getting eligible.
Aslan Wrote:This is bs. I guarantee if he was going to Duke he wouldn't had a problem getting eligible.

Dont get Stardust started. LOL
Benchwarmer Wrote:Dont get Stardust started. LOL

Hey Now:dontthink

:biggrin:
ESPN.com news services
Kentucky basketball recruit Enes Kanter has been ruled permanently ineligible for receiving impermissible compensation while playing for a professional team, the NCAA ruled Friday.

The NCAA ruled Enes Kanter, who played for a senior professional team in Turkey, can not play for Kentucky.
The NCAA reinstatement committee confirmed that Kanter received $33,033 above his actual and necessary expenses for one year while playing for a club basketball team in Turkey.

"We were informed by the NCAA that the flexible decisions made by the NCAA staff in other high-profile cases could not be used in case precedent and were not binding on the NCAA going forward," Kentucky AD Mitch Barnhart said. "The University of Kentucky was very hopeful that our student-athlete might receive the same type of consideration afforded to these other athletes but that did not happen."

Kentucky had appealed an earlier decision by another NCAA department. The reinstatement committee is the final appeal opportunity.

Kanter will not be allowed to compete, practice or travel with the team, but is able to receive financial aid to stay in school.

"The silver lining is that Enes will always be part of this team," Kentucky coach John Calipari said. "My job will be to prepare him for his entry into the NBA draft, which this decision by the [NCAA] will likely necessitate. Enes will always be a part of our family and I plan to be by his side in the green room whenever he is drafted."

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=6000134
Stardust Wrote:Hey Now:dontthink

:biggrin:

Darn you Stardust.:igiveup:
Benchwarmer Wrote:Darn you Stardust.:igiveup:

LOL :Thumbs:
Pfft!!!!!

You yUcKster's take the cake. You ran off Tubby because he did not win enough. You ran off Billy Clyde because he did not win enough. You hire Paypal Cal, and then the NCAA is knocking on UK's door.
Coach Cal being with him at the draft is pretty cool.
dangerousdaneerfan Wrote:Pfft!!!!!

You yUcKster's take the cake. You ran off Tubby because he did not win enough. You ran off Billy Clyde because he did not win enough. You hire Paypal Cal, and then the NCAA is knocking on UK's door.

Cal did nothing wrong, so I don't see where you're going with this.

:what::please::igiveup:

May want to go check your NEERS out last time I checked their has been a rain of sanctions on them the last 2 months. Just saying :Thumbs:
Once again the NCAA shows the world how they treat schools differently. Anyone who says they dont obviously has no clue what their talking about.
DDF, for once, I laughed at you post. Even though I am a UK fan, PayPal Cal is one of the funniest names I have ever heard. Good job. If you heard it somewhere, that is fine, if you made it up, even better. Either way, still funny.
LWC Wrote:DDF, for once, I laughed at you post. Even though I am a UK fan, PayPal Cal is one of the funniest names I have ever heard. Good job. If you heard it somewhere, that is fine, if you made it up, even better. Either way, still funny.

Regretfully, I cannot take credit for that. I seen it on, of all places, the Louisville smackboard. But, thanks for the complement!!!!:Thumbs:
15thRegionSlamaBamma Wrote:May want to go check your NEERS out last time I checked their has been a rain of sanctions on them the last 2 months. Just saying :Thumbs:
Just look at how the NCAA tourney lines up every year, and you will see that they cater to some schools.
This ruined my day!!!
This one stings but let's please not get caught up in the whole NCAA hates UK conspiracy theory
zaga_fan Wrote:This one stings but let's please not get caught up in the whole NCAA hates UK conspiracy theory

I don't think it's UK they hate... It's Coach Cal.

I just want some consistency in the NCAA. If Kanter can't play, neither should Cam Newton nor Terrel Pryor. It's an absolute joke!
Sad thing is that UK & the Kanter family provided the NCAA with facts and those who represented Cam Newton & the Ohio State football players provided the NCAA with false information, yet the one being immediately penalized for the infraction is Enes Kanter. I'm in no way saying that the NCAA hates UK, but like others have said, they're inconsistent.

If Kanter had went to Washington or somewhere else that isn't in the spotlight as much as UK is, would things be different?
In response to Todd's criticism, NCAA spokesman Chuck Wynne said, "President Todd is certainly entitled to his opinion on the matter, but his own university agreed that Kanter received more than $33,000 above actual and necessary expenses. The amateur certification process is clear on the subject of prospective student-athletes who have played as professionals. There is no ambiguity in the process or the bylaws."

It was well known in recruiting circles that Kanter faced serious challenges to becoming eligible. At least two prep school coaches, including Kentucky native Steve Smith of the powerhouse Oak Hill Academy, refused to add him to their teams in 2009 because of concerns about his amateur status.

Read more: http://www.kentucky.com/2011/01/08/15908...z1ARrmoNZP
No Enes is no surprise.

Since the NCAA issued a response to criticism concerning the Cameron Newton and Ohio State rulings, the chance of UK winning its second attempt to get Enes Kanter eligible appeared bleak. In that release, the NCAA spelled out that there was no proof that Newton received money.

It didn’t mention Kanter, but it didn’t have to mention Kanter. There was no dispute that Kanter received money. UK wanted the NCAA to look at the intent, where the money was concerned. The NCAA only saw money. And that made Kanter a professional.

Like I’ve written before, I don’t blame John Calipari. If Kanter is ruled eligible, it’s a home run. That he wasn’t, and that UK never had him, means technically the Cats didn’t lose anything. There was a reason, however, why more schools didn’t go after the 6-foot-11 talent from Turkey. Apparently, they believed he would never be ruled eligible.

Where does UK go from here? On to Georgia for Saturday’s game. This is a good Kentucky team that it is getting better. It could have been a great team with Kanter, but there’s not much use speculating about that now. This current configuration has been a bit better than I expected. A Sweet 16 ceiling seems more like a possible Elite Eight. With the right breaks at the right time, this could be a Final Four team.

As for Kanter, you have to feel a bit sorry for the big fellow. He’s hung around this long in hopes something would change. But it didn’t. He’s had the opportunity to practice with a top college basketball team, but not play for a top college basketball team. Next we will see him the pros. And, yes, I expect Calipari to be right there beside him on draft day.

There will be NCAA bashing, of course. Some of it may be justified. But in the end, the $33,000 Kanter received beyond reasonable expenses was just too much to overcome. The fact that Kanter got paid for playing basketball was just too much to overcome.

http://johnclay.bloginky.com/2011/01/07/...more-20044
$33,000 that the family was willing to pay back cost this man the chance to play NCAA basketball.

Ah well, the rule is the rule. Don't you wish people were allowed to rule by the idea of the law as opposed to what is written, word for word?

What I am saying is don't you wish the NCAA could read a rule and decide for themselves if this is a true violation of it? Just like with end zone dances.
The good thing about this is that Kanter has not played a minute this season. The team does not have to adjust to losing a key player in January. They can keep doing what they have been doing all along.
I really like the make up of this team, this team is fun to watch. If someone on the bench develops into a serviceable player (Like Cameron Mills in 98), this team could go a long way.
YOu keep posting all these dusty. whats your opinion?
^ You know, now that it's over, I'm disappointed. I honestly thought that he would get a year suspension, thus allowing him to come back next season. This decision was not made by the NCAA, it was made up by the appeals committee, which is school representatives. Thus, the schools agreed with the NCAA and that's where I am surprised. I know a lot has been said that the NCAA treated UK differently, but the NCAA did not make the final decision.

Since it's the school that made the final decision, then they have just cut their own throats. This decision is a landmark decision and will affect recruiting forever of International players. I'd love to see who the schools were that are part of this committee.
^ But the NCAA ruled him ineligible to start with correct?
Pages: 1 2